• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White House Pastry Chef from Ohio!

kristin_71

Bill Yosses is known for his 12 bean vanilla bean lava cake and ice cream which was served at new york's 'citarella' restaurant. the restaurant underwent changes over the last couple of years so that for a time, bill was executive chef and pastry chef of the restaurant.

from what i understand, he's a great guy to work for. i've met him in passing and he's very personable.

congratulations! that's gotta be a stressful job :blink:...and what happens after elections?

I don't think the elections matter. Once he has the job it is his for as long as he wants it. It is really cool to me, to see someone from here do so well. It sounds like he is a great guy and I really wish him all the luck. I wonder if doing pastry for the white house means satisfying the sweet tooth of the President on a moments notice? :raz:

I don't think the elections matter. Once  he has the job it is his for as long as he wants it. It is really cool to me, to see someone from here do so well. It sounds like he is a great guy and I really wish him all the luck. I wonder if doing pastry for the white house means    satisfying the sweet tooth of the President on a moments notice?  :raz:

I think that's basically right. He works for the White House. Not really the President/First Family. Of course, they DO get involved in hiring staff at that level and I think the President/First Family can make a change if they want to. But it doesn't mean he's automatically out come the next innaguration.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Bill Yosses is known for his 12 bean vanilla bean lava cake and ice cream which was served at new york's 'citarella' restaurant.  ...

I'm having trouble finding a good older thread on eGullet that discusses making this cake. As I recall it was a warm molten-center version.

Here is room temperature version of his dessert adapted for Food and Wine: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I was born in Ohio, love to see a local boy make good.

I'm thinking about the gustatory pleasures of being a resident of the White House.

Press 4 on the telephone.

"Kitchen!"

Yes, this is the first child. I'd like to have a freshly prepared Napoleon brought up. I'm willing to wait for it. Can you have it for, say, seven?

Pardon me?

Oh, yes, traditional recipe, please. Nothing fancy.

Thank you for asking, yes, I'd like to have the entire batch. Just serve it in my room, okay? One fork is fine.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Bill Yosses is known for his 12 bean vanilla bean lava cake and ice cream which was served at new york's 'citarella' restaurant.  ...

I'm having trouble finding a good older thread on eGullet that discusses making this cake. As I recall it was a warm molten-center version.

Here is room temperature version of his dessert adapted for Food and Wine: click

The link to the thread had been broken, but it is now fixed.

Here is an older discussion of Yosses' warm molten vanilla cake with a recipe and tips: click

(This has been on my list to try for awhile)

After he is "settled in" it would be wonderful to have Bill Yosses here for an eGullet Q&A. That would be extremely interesting although it may be difficult for him to answer some questions due to security or privacy issues, etc. He has participated on eGullet a bit in the past.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I agree it would be. Wonder who arranges that. There isn't a link to it but there is a column in the local paper about Chef Yosses today. Had no idea that he trained with David Bouley, Daniel Boulud and at one time at the Polo Restaurant under a sous chef named Thomas Keller. Really something for a guy from South Toledo! Not sure though how many reading the column and seeing those names would know who they are but hey, I know and I am impressed. :smile:

Edited to add the link:

Here

Edited by kristin_71 (log)