• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great, yet affordable Seattle restaurants

Hi all. I will be visiting Seattle for a conference in March...finally! I have been waiting for the opportunity to get there! Now that I am on my way, I need the names of some fantastic, yet reasonably priced restaurants to go to during my four or five day foray. As you all know, trying to wade through all of the threads is a daunting task. So, after sifting through a few pages of threads, I thought I would just go ahead and make a posting. The most helpful thread so far has been the one titled "Downtown Seattle Lunches," due to the fact that I will be staying at the Hyatt Convention Center and will not have a rental car. At night, I will be happy to take taxis to get to great dining as long as it isn't too long of a taxi ride...within 10 minutes of the Hyatt is ideal, but at lunch I need to stick close to home...as in walking distance.

Because I get a per diem for business meals, it would be nice to not have to pay much more out of pocket. My lunch per diem is $10, and dinner a mere $17! What? You mean my company doesn't want to pay for drinks?! :shock: Naturally, I would be willing to pay some out of pocket money (for lunch about $15 total, and dinner about $25 total). I will have to drink wine by the glass as I may be alone

So, any ideas about great meals at affordable prices would be highly appreciated! International flavors welome. We have enough Thai, Middle Eastern, and Indian restaurants in Raleigh, as well as a couple of great Chinese places with dim sum and all. And, I am flying on to China after my conference so I don't think I will benefit from eating Chinese in Seattle. It is ok to mention any of these places if they are truely superb. I am particulary interested in any authentic Japanese noodle places as we have nothing like that here...just the usual sushi....Otherwise everything else is fair game!

And please direct me to any threads that would serve my purposes! Thanks so much for your help! Looking forward to your responses!

Definitely head to Green Leaf (Vietnamese) for one dinner. It's a long-ish (about 20 min) walk or cheap cab, or free bus ride (take the 7, 36 or 49 from 3rd Ave, heading south. Get off on Jackson around 8th-the last free ride zone stop) from downtown. You could eat very well for $17!

Check out this thread on Samurai Ramen for your Japanese noodle quest.

If you don't get enough decent Mexican at home, El Puerco Lloron is inexpensive and good.

Consider happy hours as a way to get a great inexpensive meal. Maximilien Bistro in the Pike Place Market has a killer view, great ambiance and very good happy hour deals on good Seattle food like mussels. Brasa is another good choice within walking distance of your hotel. I think there is also a happy hour thread on this board if you want more ideas.

There are tons in inexpensive good things to eat in the Pike Place Market for lunch. I'd most recommend the grilled salmon sandwich at the Market Grill.

Edited by kiliki (log)

I agree that happy hours are the way to go...

Brasa has a steak for $7 among other goodies if you buy a drink. Dahlia, Cascadia, and Palace Kitchen

Also Mae Phim has a good thai food lunch for around $7

Also don't forget salumi, nothing like it anywhere else.

Buses aren't free after 7 pm.

Maybe Black Bottle for a plate or two at $8.00 each - of course, you can get nice apps all over for the same, even Union, I think.

Try a lunch crepe from the stand just outside the convention center on Pike - you'll have enough left over for an ice cream or a coffee.

Walk up the hill a couple of blocks for lunch at Baguette Box.

I definitely third the idea of happy hours - Seattle is packed with happy hour options! I don't have anything off the top of my head, but I've seen lots of lists. (Hey, Wendy, if you're around here - didn't you direct me to a list online when we were looking for a good happy hour when I was there in Sept?)

I also really like Le Pichet (French cafe downtown)...I'm not sure how much wine you want to drink with your meal or if you want multiple courses, but depending on how you order you could probably get in and out of here for your target lunch or dinner prices.

I had a very cheap and yummy lunch in Ballard at the Mexican place, La Carta De Oaxaca. In fact, maybe, it could be good to try something particularly cheap like that for lunch so you could splurge a bit more at dinner instead of limiting both lunch and dinner.

Enjoy your visit to Seattle!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I'm surprised none of the people from the "other" Washington suggested this, but Salumi is one of the greatest places on earth. Cured pork sandwiches. Be ready to stand in line. Best if you can mange to avoid 12-1:30 (blow off panel discussion or something). If you are blessed, it will be pork cheek day. Oink!

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Thank you all for the great ideas! :biggrin: Whenever I keep hearing about a place over and over again, I then put that restaurant on my priority list! So far, I have heard these places mentioned more than once or twice: Salumi, Le Pichet, Samurai Ramen, Dahlia, Union. I will also check into the others that I haven't heard mentioned before this as well.

Are the places I just mentioned best for lunch or dinner or both?

We have a huge Mexican population in Raleigh, but no authentic Mexican restaurants!! How crazy is that?! How authentic are the ones mentioned in this thread?

I have a list of other places I recorded on a document I do not have with me. In a short bit I will get back on this thread and inquire specifically about some of the ones not mentioned here. Please check back in a day or two! I appreciate everyone's help!

I'd second (third?) Green Leaf, Union and Salumi and add Baguette Box to your list. Great, and interesting, sandwiches. Good for either lunch or dinner.

Here's a rundown of happy hour deals in town. I wouldn't put too much stock in the ratings, but it gives a good overview of what's available.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

So far, I have heard these places mentioned more than once or twice:  Salumi, Le Pichet, Samurai Ramen, Dahlia, Union.  I will also check into the others that I haven't heard mentioned before this as well. 

Are the places I just mentioned best for lunch or dinner or both?

That's a great list. Salumi is open for lunch only. Le Pichet, Samurai Ramen and Dahlia are open for lunch and dinner and Union is open for dinner only.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

I'm surprised none of the people from the "other" Washington suggested this, but Salumi is one of the greatest places on earth.

Since it's only open for lunch, always has a long line, and isn't that close to the Convention Center, it didn't seem a logical recommendation. But if the OP can swing a long lunch, go for it.

We have a huge Mexican population in Raleigh, but no authentic Mexican restaurants!! How crazy is that?! How authentic are the ones mentioned in this thread?

Seattle isn't SoCal and in general you have to go to South Seattle, to neighborhoods where there is a large Mexican population, to get good Mex food. But, I really like the place I recommended on the Pike Place Hillclimb (El Puerco Lloron). It actually reminds me of places in Mexico (rickety card tables, homemade tortillas).

• 2 weeks later...

For Mexican food that's good, quite authentic (at least if my memory of the high-school semester in Saltillo serves) and cheap, also look for Tacos Quaymas -- it's a local chain, and a little chain-y, but still roughly 4,756 times better than most mexican food you have ever eaten.

Unless of course, you have access to one of our fantastic taco trucks.

[edited because I needed more coffee]

Edited by rmockler (log)

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.