• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

former public convenience in aldwych

The former undergound gents toilet slap bang outside One Aldwych has recently been re-opened as a bar (i think).

It has no obvious name or anything to indicate what kind of place it is, possibly because it wants to be "exclusive".

Although, that in itself is enough for me not to want to go there, it would be interesting to know exactly what it is I'm not going to (as I walk past it several times a day).

Anyone know anything about it ?

Gethin

Just a guess, but is it anything to do with LSE? Seem to remember they were refitting the Underground Bar to make it a margin less toxic. Incorporating a toilet would definately be a step forward, providing they kept the original fittings.

Other examples in the converted-toilet genre include Public Life in Shoreditch and Ginglik in Shepherd's Bush.

Hampstead Garden Suburb has made its own inimitable contribution to the genre. Just around the corner from us is a former public men's/women's lavatory now functioning as the Café Toulous (minus the e for some reason).

The proprietor's sense of humor is far-ranging. In a ward which was 37% Jewish in the 2001 census, the builders had instructions to tell inquiring members of the public that the new structure was to be a mosque. I eagerly welcomed its addition to the neighborhood until I saw a Brakes Brothers van parked outside. A promising venue for intellectual discourse has turned out to be merely a resting point for au pairs with toddlers in tow.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

There's also Arthur's on by the traffic lights on Twickenham Green. Pleasant enough outside in the summer though you're surrounded by roaring traffic on 3 sides. Grim in the winter.

Just around the corner though is Austini's which claims to have nicked the chef from Riva. Anyone checked it out yet?

Just a guess, but is it anything to do with LSE? Seem to remember they were refitting the Underground Bar to make it a margin less toxic. Incorporating a toilet would definately be a step forward, providing they kept the original fittings.

One thing I can say with certainty is that its nothing to do with the LSE Students Union bars - as the General Manager and licensee , I'd certainly have noticed if we had taken over a public convenience at the far end of Aldwych !

We did in fact refit both the Underground and the Tuns 3 years ago and provided them with much improved and far less toxic toilets facilities.

The only bit of the original fittings that we kept was a piece of carpet (from the bar - not the toilets !). It was originally intended to be one of the items placed in a time capsule to be buried in the foundations of the New Academic Building (as it will continue to be called till someone rich enough coughs up enough dosh to get it named after themselves ) but of course it just ended up in my office .

gethin

So we've established that there are public conveniences that are now restaurants and bars, but does anyone know of former restaurants or bars that are now public conveniences?

There's a defunct Slug & Lettuce near me that's being used as a toilet by the local tramping community. Does that count?

Anyway, in answer to the original question, the place is called CellarDoor, does jazz and cabaret nights, and is owned by a Chelsea-based company called Babylon Bars. "Imagine 30's Berlin meets NY jazz dive", apparently.

Edited by naebody (log)