• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Your Favorite Bottled Pasta Sauce?

awbrig

I bought some of Paul Newman's sauce recently after not having had (to my knowledge) store bought sauce in years. I was shocked by how sweet is was -- which was why I stopped using Ragu, Prego, etc.

I think I'll always find time to make my own sauce -- even if it's just garlic in butter -- before using store-bought again (except when my nieces and nephews come over and I don't get the option). However, I 've never seen the brands mentioned above. Are they "gourmet"?

I am curious if people here think there's a store-bought sauce that's worth it.

I never buy bottled pasta sauce, but if I did I'd get Sauces 'n Love because it really tastes homemade. Tried Emeril's and Lydia Bastianich's at the Fancy Food Show and they were absolutely awful. I even tasted them again on the last day to give them a second chance, and they were just as bad. Very, very sad when you consider that Emeril's is (according to their promo material of course) the bestselling pasta sauce in the US.

Anne E. McBride

Just some pomi puree poured over some garlic and anchovies sauteeing in EVOO with good salt and pepper can't help be better than any bottled sauce.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I think most store brands are way too sweet. Corn syrup, in my opinion, does not belong in pasta sauce. Trader Joe's has a decent canned marinara sauce that I sometimes use as a base sauce for lasagna. A friend told me that the Silver Palate brand was good, but I have not tried it.

Elizabeth Ann

Right on, Jin. Bottled pasta sauces and bottled salad dressings are depressing. Even 99-cent cheapo canned tomatoes with minimal enhancement taste better than those $8-$12 sauces.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Mom's Fresh Garlic & Basil Pasta Sauce

It's not a thick sauce, but a fresh tasting one full of whole basil leaves and garlic cloves. Since discovering it over ten years ago at Whole Foods, I've turned many grateful friends on to this delicious sauce.

http://www.timpones.com/index.htm

Celine

Ditto Mom's.

Mom's Garlic & Basil Spaghetti Sauce - with fat cloves of whole garlic

Mom's Special Marinara - with butter and cream

Mom's Puttanesca - with black olives and capers

Mom's Caponata - with Sicilian olives and capers

It just doesn't taste a thing like any other bottled pasta sauce I've ever tried.

Don't know who she is, but I love that "Mom" almost as much as my own!!

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I totally agree with Fat Guy and Jin, and can honestly say I have not used bottled patsa sauce in years. Cheaper and much much tastier to whip something simple at home with the $.99 canned tomatoes than buying those sweet bottled brands.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I am not a fan of bottled store bought sauce, but I don't think its fair to compare a quick sautee of canned tomatoes, EVOO, and garlic to a long-cooked complex tomato sauce. My understanding is that people who use bottled sauce, do so when they need that type of sauce and don't have the time, and the quick-saute type will not suffice.

The only sauce I have purchased that was acceptable was Rao's, but it was absurdly expensive. Always look at the label and buy a sauce that does not have sugar or any other sweetener as an ingredient. If they all do, pick the one that has it as close to last on the list of ingredients.

well it's fair to say that anyone who cooks even a little is going to jump on the "make it yourself" bandwagon, myself included.

i will say that i thought rao's was for sh*t, especially considering the 8 dollar price tag. i noticed they've lowered their prices in the past year or so.

My understanding is that people who use bottled sauce, do so when they need that type of sauce and don't have the time, and the quick-saute type will not suffice.

I don't think the average bottled sauce consumer is thinking it through like that.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I am not a fan of bottled store bought sauce, but I don't think its fair to compare a quick sautee of canned tomatoes, EVOO, and garlic to a long-cooked complex tomato sauce.  

My understanding is that people who use bottled sauce, do so when they need that type of sauce and don't have the time, and the quick-saute type will not suffice.  

Always look at the label and buy a sauce that does not have sugar or any other sweetener as an ingredient.  

Cooking for a party of one these days..... and am busy..... don't have time for complex cooking except on the weekends and often I don't want to spend all weekend standing around in the kitchen.

When I finish work, late and tired, I'm thrilled to death to have a jar or two of Mom's in the pantry. I can make a quick eggplant casserole, for example, by thinly slicing eggplant, dipping it in beaten egg and seasoned flour, frying in olive oil, arranging in glass dish, dumping Mom's sauce and some P Reggiano over it and heating it in the MW. I'm eating in fifteen minutes. And eating good.

Here's the list of ingredients for Mom's Puttanesca.... tomatoes, olives, fresh carrots, EVOO, fresh garlic, real butter, real cream, capers, sea salt, pepper, anchovy, herbs and soy. And that's it. Period. No sugar. So what's not to like? Soy???

It's easy to say, "I would never do this or I would never do that" but the fact of the matter is that different times, different circumstances call for different methods. :wink:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I stand by my love of Bertolli Marinara With Burgundy Wine. It's nice and tart, good pasta-coating texture, and makes a nice base for improvisation. I haven't found any other jarred sauce I like, and I do often make my own, but we always keep the Bertolli on hand.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

My favorite bottled pasta sauces :

For spreading on the lawn to keep next door's cats out of the garden --- Lloyd Grossman

For stripping paint off wood --- Ragu

For coloring cement mix to match patio paving slabs --- Paul Newman

For eating ----

So far the Colavita line of jarred sauces are the only ones I can find that contain no sugar or corn syrup. Their Puttanesca sauce is actually not bad.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

So far the Colavita line of jarred sauces are the only ones I can find that contain no sugar or corn syrup.  Their Puttanesca sauce is actually not bad.

Some sauces in the Classico line (such as the Tomato & Basil) don't have any sweeteners. Taste is just OK though.

Aunt Millie's (which I haven't used in years but grew up on).  Is it still made?

Otherwise, none of the above.  Pomi or fresh tomatoes is key.

:smile:

SA

yes it is still made. and i grew up on it too, and thought it was the best for most of my life. and then i stepped away, and then i went back to it, and then i realized that i had no taste!!!

stay away. stay well away. :smile: