• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Your Favorite Bottled Pasta Sauce?

awbrig

Does canned count? If so Muir Glen Chunky Tomato Sauce in the can not the jar is pretty damn good. Not that you don't have to doctor it up (you do), but its very flavorful in an authentic tomato way, not sweet from corn syrup or sugar, and its organic. Definitely my first choice if not making my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another thread for the Newbie to peruse!

This should be plenty!! :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Tonight, I had to pick up son # 1 from the ER, where he hyper extended his knee 1 day after football camp..at a family picnic with a trampoline...having had a great JV scrimage the day before, complete wtih interception and tackle...and had to pick up son # 2 at Newark (LIBERTY??) airport, after doing a READY_SET_COOK filming with his dad on some Island by Jacksonville fla....made a chix stock earlier, but husband didn't drain it right thru the chessecolth while I wa at the airport..its in the freezer, and I'll salvage it, but not tonight...so, tired, hungry, 2 weeks out of a pneumonia diagnosis that I am still on drugs for...I opted for Patsy's, vodka sauce..over rigatoni, LOTS of parmesan, a chopped spicy pepper from the garden, and red wine. Chopped romaine hearts with Wegmans' jarred ceasar, again with the parmesan loaded on top....oh, did I mention the red wine? Dropped off daughter # 1 on Friday at college..OK

Don Pomodoro makes a good bottled sauce and I use it when I feel lazy. What attracted me was the six ingredients listed---San Marzano (sp?) tomatoes, EVOO, carrots, onions, Basil and salt---that’s it. It sells for $2.99 a jar and blows away the bottled sauces selling for 3X the price. I usually doctor it up with some garlic.

I always keep a bottle of tomato sauce on hand for use with pizza. Since I make my own pizza dough, I always have one or two frozen that can be thawed in a half-hour or so. (They make great appetizers before dinner.)

I don't use my homemade gravy (sauce) for pizza since the necessary high temperature tends to alter the taste. Therefore, after many experiments I have found the best to be Classico - mostly the roasted pepper variety. Of course, I only use the stuff when the pizza has a tomato base.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I was in a pinch last week and bought Classico Tomato & Basil. I bought it because it had the least amount of ingredients then the other sauce labels I read. Tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil and spice, the taste is pretty decent, not homemade of course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Had Patsy's Marinara sauce tonight and was very disappointed. It $9.00 a bottle (a little more than Raos) and it was just ok - chunky style - which Im not crazy about and slightly bitter...I thought I had once tried it and liked it but after this jar Im not going back to this one...

When I was living in San Fran, I used to eat at "Little Italy" on 24th St. in Noe Valley. I've been trying to recreate it ever since (12 yrs.). Not very good at red sauces, it seems. They used to sell it bottled from the restaurant. Really good.

Timpone's. It's organic, and very tasty. VERY tasty.

No sugar.

Made by the same people that make "Mom's."

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The  Mario Batali bottled sauce I tried out was pretty decent.

I tried 2 different kinds of his when i was car camping last summer and liked them both quite a bit...and i got them in smaller jars at trader joes which were actually the right amt of sauce for 2 servings of pasta.

The standard mason jar seems to be about 3 servings of sauce which is rather inconvenient when you're specifically going for convenience w/ the jarred sauce!

One of the Batali sauces was a fennel thing (can't remember exactly what it was now) but it was very fennel-y, i liked it! :)

Had Patsy's Marinara sauce tonight and was very disappointed.  It $9.00 a bottle (a little more than Raos) and it was just ok - chunky style - which Im not crazy about and slightly bitter...I thought I had once tried it and liked it but after this jar Im not going back to this one...

brig, the Patsy's Diablo sauce is about ten times better.

Still not worth $9 though.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Some sauces in the Classico line (such as the Tomato & Basil) don't have any sweeteners.  Taste is just OK though.

...and it works well as a base for the husband's pizza....

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Stew Leonards $2 a jar marinara sauce is pretty damn good, once you doctor it with other stuff.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Come on! How long does it take to make a pasta sauce?  Cut up a bunch of tomatoes, a bit of olive oil, garlic and onion, some herbs and you are done.

but if i get home from work late and don't have tomatoes on hand (winter, i usually dont) and i'm tired and don't want to chop anything, just want instafood.....jarred sauce is great to have on hand.

You guys are kidding with all this, right?

Take one afternoon in September, make ten or twenty pounds of sauce, finished.

Winter sauce with good canned tomatoes is just as easy.

With the money you save, you can buy some porcini or even a truffle.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

Aunt Millie's (which I haven't used in years but grew up on).  Is it still made?

Otherwise, none of the above.  Pomi or fresh tomatoes is key.

:smile:

SA

Yes aunt millies is still made

I use it all the time, it's great

no sugar added....

I kick it up with a bit of celery,oions,carrotts

others sauces are to sweet.

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

• 3 weeks later...
The Mario Batali bottled sauce I tried out was pretty decent. I would need to try it again to really form an opinion. I think I bought two types, the other one may be in the cabinet.

With all the Otto and Batali talk I thought Id pick up some of his bottled sauces this weekend at Trader Joes. Good idea or not - and is there a particular kind I should steer toward or away from. thanks

bitesbuzz2_09_160.jpg

Edited by awbrig (log)

...other sauces are too sweet.

Not my favorites. The two I sometimes use when in a rush have absolutely no sugars of any kind added. They are not sweet at all.

Back in my macy*s days we carried a number of *better* brands...one of which was Muir Glen(n?) and another I cant remember, that introduced me to the concept of Balsamic in red sauce. With a bit of doctoring, ie~adding sauteed mushrooms, maybe a wee more garlic, they were quite nice. On *regular* store bought...Barilla.