• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: lovebenton0, Pam R, snowangel - North of the 30th paralle

snowangel

My potato and corn soup turned out very blah, in my opinion.  I wouldn't make it again, and am hoping I can find a way to doctor the leftovers into something a little more appetizing.  I hope our bloggers fare better with their soups this evening!

See if you can find some green hot sauce (like Cajun Chef), or add some worchestershire sauce or cayenne pepper!

edited to add: or some smoked fish, bacon or sausage.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

susan, your bread looks wonderful.

i'm very pleased with the crock pot roast beef barley soup for tonight. tasty, rich, just peppery enough. although the crust was a bit darker than i like the bread came out out cool and delicious. i'll post more on the bread tomorrow, as i tried my new bread machine my bro scooped at a thrift shop and sent to me to help with kneading while my hands/wrists are out of comission for that. this is another interesting experiment along with the minimalist no-knead bread thread.

dinner tonight.... quinn had a tad of beef broth on his chow too.

gallery_12550_4173_252347.jpg

now we're relaxing. we're both tired tonight. winter throws us off... i may hit the cozy bed with a book pretty soon. quinn is already out at my feet.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Snowangel, do you have a recipe for making the sourdough starter?  Or did you buy it somewhere?  I would love to try it sometime, but am feeling slightly bread impaired.  Lovely blog so far.  Thanks.

Run, do not walk, to your local library and check out Bread Baker's Apprentice, and realize a couple of things.

Depending on time of year, things may take longer than they do at other times of the year.

Wet dough is good. And, when it comes to shaping loaves, flour and cornmeal are your friends.

An oven thermometer (to make sure what your oven's running at) and an instant read (to make sure the bread is done) are two of your best friends.

I just decided I could conquer bread, and that flour is cheap so if bread does't work out, it's a small investment.

My major concern with the crock pot for soup is that liquid doesn't really evaporate and so perhaps my tendencies for amount of liquid, etc. will result in a not-so-tasty soup. 

Very interesting concern. So what I did, was cover the bones and meat with cold water, brought it to a simmer, skimmed off all the shmutz, took the bones and meat out of the pot, and I'm letting the water simmer and reduce right now.

We'll test the soup tomorrow and see how it goes. The thing about bean and/or barley soups in the crock, is that they absorb so much water the concern is that there isn't enough water, not that it won't evaporate. Interesting.

Off to upload some pictures from dinner.

Snowangel, do you have a recipe for making the sourdough starter?  Or did you buy it somewhere?  I would love to try it sometime, but am feeling slightly bread impaired.  Lovely blog so far.  Thanks.

Run, do not walk, to your local library and check out Bread Baker's Apprentice, and realize a couple of things.

Depending on time of year, things may take longer than they do at other times of the year.

Wet dough is good. And, when it comes to shaping loaves, flour and cornmeal are your friends.

An oven thermometer (to make sure what your oven's running at) and an instant read (to make sure the bread is done) are two of your best friends.

I just decided I could conquer bread, and that flour is cheap so if bread does't work out, it's a small investment.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to do that. My bf went through a bread making spell for a while, but he doesn't like sourdough, and I do. Umm, fresh sourdough, I could use some right now.

snowangel, I'm seriously bread impaired myself, and mastering bread is one of my resolutions for 2007 (it was, however, also one of the resolutions for 2006  :angry: ) Your pics are an inspiration... Do you recommend that book for an absolute beginner?

Absolutely, and see my post down-topic about what you need to not be afraid of! I was blown away by this bread, and I acutally winged it, adding more barm to the starter, which made me have to wing the quantity of flour and water I added to the dough!

Now, a couple of comments about the soup.  I found that the wild rice cooked faster than the recipe indicated, and that it needed more of it than suggested.  Do we suppose that this was because this was real wild rice (not cultivated)?  Or that it was parched?

Parching/processing is done to remove moisture from the wild rice so it can be stored safely. (remember, it's really a grass, not real rice) Commerical processors tend to be on the safe side and roast the rice until it's, quite frankly, burnt.

Hand parched wild rice, which is maybe 5% of the crop, is roasted in small batches, (often stirred with a canoe paddle), until it's dried just enough. It has a gray/green color, in contrast to the black California paddy wild grown rice the recipes were probaqbly written for, and it cooks a lot quicker.

{Some of the local commercial operations do a pretty good job of parching. Christmas Point and Ramy are two brands I'd recommend}

My friend Big Lou picks out the broken rice grains for "soup rice", where the looks don't matter so much. It's a lot of work, but he's very proud of the quality of his wild rice, and now he has his daughter and grand-daughter to help him.

Cooking time also depends on grain size. This year, because of the hot dry weather, the grains were very small. Fifteen or twenty minutes seems to be plenty of cooking time.

Because wild rice isn't real rice, the amount of liquid you cook it in isn't critical. When it looks done, (the grains begin to puff up and explode), just drain off the excess liquid and let the rice steam in the hot pan for about ten minutes with a clean towel between the pan and lid. For soup, just add your other ingredients right into the cooking liquid, augmented as necessary.

I haven't made any wild rice soup for a long time. I do have a couple pounds of "soup rice", which I also use for baking. (but that's a whole other story :wink: )

SB (maybe it's the "wild" that I like?) :wacko:

OK. Seeking suggestions for soup this week! For some reason, I have a hankering for mussels, and there is a recipe in "150 Best American Recipes" for a mussel thing with bacon ( :wub: ), but other suggestions are welcome, and Costco usually has mussels.

Need an asian suggesions and would prefer something other than Tom Yam or the chicken/curry/coconut milk suggestion.

Other suggestions welcome and appreciated as I come up with my daily lists. (Reminder, I am not an organized meal planner like Bruce, and often shop on a daily basis, or on a whim).

Soup, beautiful soup. What a fabulous thread for us Northerners. As it happens, we're having black bean soup from the freezer tonight topped with some leftover salsa from Taco Night on Saturday. In lieu of your gorgeous bread, I'm thawing some leftover pigs-in-blankies we made awhile back.

My nomination for Recipe Gullet soup recipe is NeroW's One of Each Soup. It is mysterious and astonishing and the ingredients are easy. C'mon, you've never used a banana in soup before, have you? (You can't place the banana flavor, by the way. As I said, it's mysterious.)

For you warm-weather folks, it's wonderful cold .

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

The paper for my list tomorrow:

gallery_6263_35_74790.jpg

Today's list (note the stuff crossed off!) and tomorrow's list:

gallery_6263_35_101239.jpg

If anyone has any questions about the items on the list, let me know. Oh, and these sheets arrive splatted from Heidi's school; my counters are clean!

And, I'm aiming for a kitchen shot or two every day:

gallery_6263_35_44876.jpg

Comments:

I really love my kids and family. They are my life.

We did see the ruby slippers. They look much more tarnished in real life than in this picture.

The timer. The poor thing is on it's last legs. My dad gave it to me right after I got out of college (some 25+ years ago). I love this timer. What I really like about it is that when it hits zero, it chirps for 30-60 seconds, and then starts counting the other way, so that if you are outside and don't hear it, you know just how long whatever is in the oven has been over-baked, or whether the sprinkler has been on for 4 hours and flooded the basement. Plus, it fits nicely in a pocket (handy for grilling; a timer my single most essential grilling tool). Anyone know of another timer that counts backwards once it hits zero and you miss it?

It took me ages to upload dinner pictures, because I went into the kitchen to skim the beef stock, and ended up unloading, then loading the dishwasher. Phew.

Dinner started with beer cheese soup. I used a mixture of two cheddars - and I'm thinking I didn't like one of them for the soup. Don't get me wrong - it was good. But I've made better. I started by sweating some onion, carrots and celery in olive oil - added some flour, then beer, milk and half and half. Simmered for 10 minutes or so, until thickened, then whisked in the shredded cheese. Garnish with popcorn.

gallery_25849_641_12792.jpg

It's a rich soup - and I had a small bowl. Followed it up with a quiche and salad.

Quiche photo melange:

gallery_25849_641_6864.jpggallery_25849_641_10595.jpggallery_25849_641_5852.jpg

gallery_25849_641_16838.jpggallery_25849_641_18918.jpggallery_25849_641_11143.jpg

Phyllo crust, filled with sauteed leek, onion, cauliflower, mushrooms and spinach and a list custard of eggs, milk, half and half, salt, pepper and a little grated parmesan. Salad was baby romaine, orange segments (supremes), red onion and toasted pine nuts with a dressing of fresh oj, balsamic, dijon, s&p, and olive oil. Good dinner.

The timer.  The poor thing is on it's last legs.  My dad gave it to me right after I got out of college (some 25+ years ago).  I love this timer.  What I really like about it is that when it hits zero, it chirps for 30-60 seconds, and then starts counting the other way, so that if you are outside and don't hear it, you know just how long whatever is in the oven has been over-baked, or whether the sprinkler has been on for 4 hours and flooded the basement.  Plus, it fits nicely in a pocket (handy for grilling; a timer my single most essential grilling tool).  Anyone know of another timer that counts backwards once it hits zero and you miss it?

My favorite timer: Amazon (I actually bought this at a discount store, for about $5 if I remember correctly.)

Set the time quickly and easily by spinning the bezel -- so much better than having to push a button over and over for long-cooking stuff. And it does count up after it goes off.

My only complaint with it is that the magnet could be stronger, and the glue that holds the magnet to the back of the timer could be stronger. I lost mine through dropping on the floor, because the glue failed. Ah, well.

My nomination for Recipe Gullet soup recipe is NeroW's One of Each Soup. It is mysterious and  astonishing  and the ingredients are easy.  C'mon, you've never used a banana in soup before, have you?  (You can't place the banana flavor, by the way. As I said, it's mysterious.)

You may say that you can't place the banana flavour... I don't know Maggie.

Anyone know of another timer that counts backwards once it hits zero and you miss it?

I actually have one of those! I can't remember the name off-hand, but I'll check and let you know. It's not very old, but it's not new, either (it's probably 4-ish years old). It's made by Pyrex or some similar cooking utensil brand that you wouldn't think of as making timers.

It is made by Pyrex! you can find it on Amazon here. The reviews are not good, and quite honestly I think it's more difficult to use than it looks (the buttons on mine don't press easily, etc.), but it has the count up function you're looking for.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Need an asian suggesions and would prefer something other than Tom Yam or the chicken/curry/coconut milk suggestion. 

Congee. :smile:

Wonton soup with shrimp roe noodles.

Hot 'n' Sour soup - pushing it? :unsure:

edited to add: Way ta go - PamR. Do Manitoba proud!

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I do say! C'mon c'mon c'mon. (I was a doubter too.)

My nomination for Recipe Gullet soup recipe is NeroW's One of Each Soup. It is mysterious and  astonishing  and the ingredients are easy.  C'mon, you've never used a banana in soup before, have you?  (You can't place the banana flavor, by the way. As I said, it's mysterious.)

You may say that you can't place the banana flavour... I don't know Maggie.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

maggie, I'm about to take one for the team with the soup with banana, but I will do it on Souper Bowl Sunday when I have a mess of guests with other food to nosh on (and this is a group that is used to my experiements). It's the banana quite frankly that's the problem. I hate banana, and I think this dislike stems from the amount of banana ick I've wiped up from floors, faces, etc. of kids. Plus, I can't stand even looking at a banana that has any black spots or stripes on the skin. Give 'em to me firm and ever so sligltly green, please, if you must.

Last big post for today.

Generally, my fridge looks something like this:

gallery_25849_641_154365.jpg

gallery_25849_641_108003.jpg

Drinks, some saucey things, homemade salad dressings and butter in the door. A weird collection of margarines (I'm really not sure why they are all there. I use one type - Earth Balance - for non-dairy cooking/baking. I think the other ones may be years old. . .) There is usually some assortment of vegetables, and I have to have a bin full of assorted fruit.

Now, let's admit that blog week is not a normal week. I've been shopping twice, and it only started today. First shopping trip:

gallery_25849_641_5534.jpg

Second shopping trip:

gallery_25849_641_16916.jpg

Which resulted in a slightly fuller fridge:

gallery_25849_641_57451.jpg

With a drawer full of citrus and apples (Pink Lady - the best):

gallery_25849_641_22986.jpg

I'm almost set for the week. I was going through recipes today, and of course I need to go shopping again - but I've got the basics.

OK.  Seeking suggestions for soup this week!  For some reason, I have a hankering for mussels, and there is a recipe in "150 Best American Recipes" for a mussel thing with bacon ( :wub: ), but other suggestions are welcome, and Costco usually has mussels.

I have made this coconut and miso soup a few times and I love it; in fact, I think I need to make it again soon. Props to Maki for creating that. Thinking about it is kind of making me drool. I reckon it might be good with mussels instead of monkfish (I've subbed other meats and fish and veg in).

Otherwise, for mussels, would cioppino or similar count?

The failed potato-corn soup already has worcestershire and smoked paprika. I think I might throw some curry paste or powder in and puree it - maybe I'd like it better as a smooth soup. Otherwise it's sriracha, the cure-all for everything IMO.

Jennie

The failed potato-corn soup already has worcestershire and smoked paprika.  I think I might throw some curry paste or powder in and puree it - maybe I'd like it better as a smooth soup.  Otherwise it's sriracha, the cure-all for everything IMO.

Siracha, and perhaps an over easy egg cures most everything.

Photos of my chicken stock tomorrow. Said stock is chilling rapidly in the outdoor fridge (deck) as the temps plummet and the "breeze" approaches gale force.

OK. Need further help here. It appears that the natives (meaning the famil) are expecting something other than just soup and bread or soup and rice (which would be fine with me, and what I was planning on). Ideas for meals that have soup, but where soup is not the focal point? I've got some ideas, but thought I'd to to the pros here on eGullet.

I'm going to clean the fridge before I dare to post any photos!

maggie, I'm about to take one for the team with the soup with banana, but I will do it on Souper Bowl Sunday when I have a mess of guests with other food to nosh on (and this is a group that is used to my experiements).  It's the banana quite frankly that's the problem.  I hate banana, and I think this dislike stems from the amount of banana ick I've wiped up from floors, faces, etc. of kids.  Plus, I can't stand even looking at a banana that has any black spots or stripes on the skin.  Give 'em to me firm and ever so sligltly green, please, if you must.

Bless you! And I am in your camp, banana wise: don't like them much, and hate them speckled. But, as I said, you won't think "'Nanas!" when you taste the soup.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

OK.  Seeking suggestions for soup this week!  For some reason, I have a hankering for mussels, and there is a recipe in "150 Best American Recipes" for a mussel thing with bacon ( :wub: ), but other suggestions are welcome, and Costco usually has mussels.

Other suggestions welcome and appreciated as I come up with my daily lists.  (Reminder, I am not an organized meal planner like Bruce, and often shop on a daily basis, or on a whim).

Great blog! We are a few months away from soups just yet but I am following the ideas with much interest.

My favourite Asian mussel soup is with coconut, lime, fish sauce etc so I wont post that, but if you have a chance, and have never tried, do give a mussel chowder a fair hearing and also mussel and saffron soup is wondrous. If you would like ingredients/methods etc let me know.

We are so fortunate in NZ to have ginormous green lipped mussels, they are cheap and are to be found fresh, in every supermarket in the country. I have a passion for asian mussel fritters but thats for another day!

Great blog, all. It's warming my cold bones just reading about all the great soups you are creating.

Pam, your quiche dinner looks perfect. I love the idea of using phyllo as a crust. I definitely don't use phyllo enough. Your kreplach are beautiful too. I've never had them, it's not part of our sephardic culture, but now I know why I'm always drawn to making piles of tortellini (or as Hathor re-named them, shaya-llini). Your kreplach look a lot like my tortellini!

I was also looking at the color of your chicken stock - you make it look so easy, I love the pictorial format you are using - and notice it looks a lot more yellow than mine. With the meaty version you seem to leave the skin on (I remove it) - do you think this is the reason for the bright yellow color? Did your version with only bones have a paler color?

Snowangel, you are running a busy household while cooking all the while. Very impressive. It's nice to see your method for making lists - using yesterday's list to create today's. My problem is I can never find yesterday's list after I've taken it out shopping. :wacko:

I also love the Bread Baker's Apprentice. Peter Reinhart is brilliant at explaining the process of breadmaking. Good for you for mastering sourdough.

I absolutely love Thailand and Thai food. Regarding your time spent in Thailand, do you cook much Thai food these days? Might we see a thai soup on the table this week? I have a hankering for one and could use some inspiration!