• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for this plate/bowl

Spinner

I'm looking for a bit of help here..

I've driving myself crazy looking for the following piece:

Click Here

Is there a name for such a bowl? If so, please tell me and/or tell me where I can find it. It's for a birthday present to my wife.

Thanks!

P.S. I would order it from the site I linked to but they need a TIN and I am not in possession of one :)

Edited by Spinner (log)

I'm looking for a bit of help here..

I've driving myself crazy looking for the following piece:

Click Here

Is there a name for such a bowl? If so, please tell me and/or tell me where I can find it. It's for a birthday present to my wife.

Thanks!

P.S. I would order it from the site I linked to but they need a TIN and I am not in possession of one :)

Is this close enough?

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Umm, do you have a friend in the industry with a tax id?

Btw- lots of points for getting this for your wife.

Is she cool with dishes for her birthday???

Chocolate could go along with that nicely

& a gift certificate for some shopping too. :biggrin:

K8,

We had a presentation using this type of plate while in Chicago and my wife has mentioned the plate to me every day since then. We went last October. I think she will like it. Anyway, it's a plate typically used to present small tastings and I do feel like the biggest ass not knowing where to get it.

Just so everyone knows, my idea is not to wrap this and make it a gift in that sense. I'd like to prepare one of her favorite bites (Consumme with Fois and Caramel) in this dish.

K8,

We had a presentation using this type of plate while in Chicago and my wife has mentioned the plate to me every day since then. We went last October. I think she will like it. Anyway, it's a plate typically used to present small tastings and I do feel like the biggest ass not knowing where to get it.

Just so everyone knows, my idea is not to wrap this and make it a gift in that sense. I'd like to prepare one of her favorite bites (Consumme with Fois and Caramel) in this dish.

Aww how cool!!! I knew there was more to it than that.

Every day? She's been working hard on this. :raz:

An idea is to call the place in Chicago and ask them to sell you one. Maybe?

You DO realize that this bowl is unglazed, yes? It will need to be taken to a local china shop and glazed before use. Perhaps you can look up a shop in your area and explain your dilemma to them. A nice shopkeeper may be able to order the bowl for you, AND help you to glaze it. Here in Englishtown we have a great place called Club Mud, 732-617-2377, I know that you are in New Jersey, but I'm location challenged in this state! Best of luck, I think that your wife is probably already a happy woman, judging by your thoughtfulness.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

1) What is the outside diameter?

2) What's the inside diameter of the depression?

3) Is the flat surface if the rim sloping down slightly towards the outside edge or is that an optical illusion in the photograph?

I have dozen such plate/bowls of this style in a plain white glazed finish and they're of the heavy restaurant grade variety. Bought them at the local Syracuse China factory outlet for about $1 each during their summer sale (as a just in case - I have not actually used them yet). Of course I also have both black and white interlocking yin and yang plates I bought at the same time and have actually used a few times (to a mostly unappreciative audiencse but I think they're really cool and they were only $2 each!)

Mine were overstocks but they sometimes sell seconds also. Those usually have some small but slightly visible flaw such as a speck in the glaze. But I think they most likely stock them in firsts as well. Post the dimensions or PM them to me and I can check there on my lunch hour tomorrrow to see if they still have some. They do not have on-line purchasing but they might do phone orders.

If the ones I have are the right dimensions and you only need one I'll just give you one of mine. The chances of me cookign dinenr for morme than ten people are extremely slim (and if I do we'll be eating ribs and chicken on paper plates on the deck :wink: )

I think you are looking for what is called a "degustation plate". These are also sometimes called "tasting plates" or "sampling plates" and are used a lot in finer restaurants. There are also some smaller plates that are called degustations, so if you do a search be sure to check the dimensions since I think you want a large one.

Pillivuyt makes them in porcelain as does Bernardaud (obviously these are both pricey) and they are available on line if a dealer is not nearby (check pillivuytus.com); and Bernardaud can be found at some Bloomingdales. There is one British maker who makes them (Chomette) for a couple of the NYC restaurants, but I have never seen a US distributor.

Your birthday thought is just a lovely one! Good luck!

“Cheese has always been a food that both sophisticated and simple humans love.”

M.F.K. Fisher, How to Cook a Wolf (1942)

Does this look close? It's 10" in diameter, the outer edge of the shallow center depression is 4.5" in diameter and the depression itself is about 1.25" in depth.

gallery_2480_246_15665.jpg

If this is what you need just PM me. I'll send you one of mine.

Philippe Deshoulières Dégustation

see the right side: white square sampling plates :rolleyes:

Actually, the round one above the "white square sampling plates" IS the one he's looking for!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually able to locate six of this exact plate for Spinner and it cost him all of $12.90 plus shipping for the set of six. There are many downsides to living ina small snow-bound town such as this but having a restaurant china factory and outlet store where cool plates are a couple dollars apiece is nice.

I'm hoping that Spinner will post back here with a picture of whatever cool dish he served to his sweetheart on these!

It's the factory outlet store for Syracuse China - a large restaurant china manufacturer here in town (they also made "fine china' for many years but are now out of that business).

The six pieces that I grabbed for Spinnner were the last ones in the store - but they have seconds, overstocks or discontinued items showing up in there from the factory on an ongoing basis. The problem is that they have no on-line presence - you just have to show up in there periodically to see what's available.

If you pass through this way during the summer it's the best time - they set up an outdoor tent during July and August and the selection gets bigger in addition to the prices dropping even lower.