• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whats Your Favorite mustard?

awbrig

It's not as veratile as some others but my fave is "Beyond Belief Horseradish Mustard" from Jasmine & Bread of Vermont. They sell mail order and in a few stores but I just stock up direct at the Saratoga Jazz Fest where they usually have a booth. It has jalapeno, garlic, horseradish and honey wiht a combo of whole grain and traditional brown mustard. I've tried duplicating it with my own blend and can't come close.

For versatility I like blending Maille Old Style whole grain Dijon with a smooth Dijon that's sharper. Very good for sauces etc. The whole grain by itself just doesn't have enough bite for my taste but I love the texure and the pop of the grains on the palate.

Bouland, in your experience what do French people typically use mustard for?

Wow, I never really gave that much thought

Interesting, as Fat Guy and I have different views. Admittedly my view is based on early observations of a limited sort and since reaching that view, I haven't given it much thought either. Maybe this is a question for the France board.

I've have seen and purchased Amora mustard and other items under that brand name. I don't seem to see it around lately, but I have an impression that the brand is seen in discount stores more often than specialty shops. That means very little in terms of relative or absolute quality. I don't have a strong memory of it being particularly better or worse than other brands incluing Maille. Most of the mustards I've used start out fine, but some seem to lose flavor faster than others, or maybe we didn't use the jar as quickly. Years ago I brought home a huge jar of mustard from France. It was less for the economy than for the novelty. I had never seen a jar that big in the US. Later on I discovered such a jar for sale, but I had already learned my lesson. By the time we reached the botton of that jar, the flavor was less pungent than when we opened the jar.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

phaelon56 -- I love Jasmine & Bread products but they're really hard to track down. Have you tried the "Beyond Ketchup"? It's really good. We also liked their hot marinade. I should probably put in a mail order while it's still on my mind.

I have about 5 different kinds of mustard in the fridge right now. One is Rays, a friend brought it back from Maine for me. It is a small family run business.

But for my Sabrett hot dogs I like Guldens Spicy Brown!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

I've have seen and purchased Amora mustard and other items under that brand name. I don't seem to see it around lately, but I have an impression that the brand is seen in discount stores more often than specialty shops... Most of the mustards I've used start out fine, but some seem to lose flavor faster than others, or maybe we didn't use the jar as quickly.

I spend much more time shopping at E.Leclerc (a hypermarché for those who haven't been to one [bux, I know you know what it is]) than at Au Bon Marché (a large upscale department store in Paris). There's always lots of Amora products at the hypermarchés. [For those not familiar with where the French shop the most, check out this recent article I wrote about the different markets of France.]

I agree with the concept that some mustards seem to loose their heat over time. For this reason, I buy many small jars instead of one large one. Plus the small jars are really small glasses that make nice conveyors of marc!

Bouland

a.k.a. Peter Hertzmann

à la carte

I spend much more time shopping at E.Leclerc (a hypermarché for those who haven't been to one [bux, I know you know what it is]) than at Au Bon Marché (a large upscale department store in Paris). There's always lots of Amora products at the hypermarchés. [For those not familiar with where the French shop the most, check out this recent article I wrote about the different markets of France.]

Actually I was thinking of shops in NYC, not France when I posted last. As much as I love the local open markets and covered markets as we travel in France, a trip is never complete without a couple of stops in a hypermarché. It usually takes me quite a while to pull myself away, even when I'm just window shopping. They're great for stocking up on snacks for the road, souvenirs and gifts to bring back and staples when we're staying with friends. Some of the really good ones are excellent and I remember one in Brittany where we did some serious shopping for a meal. The better cheeses and charcuterie were exceptional, although they also had a large stock of very industrial commerical products.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I adore mustard! I hated it as a child; my father enjoyed tricking me into eating a taste so he could watch the faces I'd make! Luckily, that experience did not prove scarring.

I recently had a mustard blended with tapenade in a sandwich shop (Le Pain Quotidien in LA) and it was yummy--the flavors worked well. They said it was just Grey Poupon blended with tapenade. I am going to try it at home--maybe with the Maille (love it) instead of Grey. I have never tried a jarred olive/mustard blend--I think I would avoid it if I saw it-- but the freshly mixed version was great with crusty bread, cheese, and ham.