• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Baking & Pastry Challenge

duckduck

We have another challenger...YAY! Thank you, Bripastryguy! Well, we've all heard the words "life is short...eat dessert first", right? Well, my challenge to Bri is more like "dessert...it's what's for dinner!" We've seen a few dessert soups, pasta, etc. and we've seen some herbs that we normally associate with savory use that have been used in dessert. My challenge to Bripastryguy is show us something that we usually think of as a dinner course (soup, salad, pasta, even an entree!) using an herb we tend to think of as savory and make it sweet! It can be one course or twenty. How ever many you want. As elegant or wild as you want. Good luck, Bri!

Let the challenge begin!

For future reference, these were the previous challenges:

Round 1 (Kerry Beal challenges Ling in Vancouver BC)- Take pineapple upside down cake and bring it into this century

Round 2 (Ling Challenges Gfron1 in Silver City NM) - Make a dessert containing an animal ingredient or product other than lard or bacon

Round 3 (Gronf1 challenges Mette in Copenhagen Denmark)- Create a deconstructed beer dessert

Round 4 (Mette Challenges Shalmanese in Seattle WA) - Create a dessert tapas plate consisting of 7 items in 7 days, using local and seasonal flavours

Round 5 (Shalmanese challenges Chiantiglace in West Palm Beach FL) - create a dessert involving smoke that evokes Autumn

Round 6 (Chiantiglace challenges K8Memphis in Memphis, TN) - create a dessert using Southern Sweet Tea

Round 7 (K8Memphis challenges SweetSide in rural CT) - create a desset using 5 kernels of corn representing the 5 blessing of the Pilgrims

Round 8 (SweetSide challenges alanamoana in the Silicon Valley, CA) - take fruitcake out of the land of the misfits and show us the beauty that lies within

Round 9 ( Alanmoana challenges Dejaq in Nation’s Capital) - make a dessert using Champagne and at least three Citrus Fruits, along with Agar Agar.

Round 10 (Dejaq in Nation's Capital challenges Kerry Beal in Ontario, Canada) - make a dessert utilizing white, milk and dark chocolate, along with a tea of her choice and a fresh seasonal pear.

Round 11 (Kerry Beal in Ontario, Canada challenges Chufi, in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, to make a dessert that evokes the spirit of Sinterklaas, uses speculaas spices and includes a seasonal fruit or vegetable.

Round 12 (Chufi in Amsterdam challenges tammylc in Ann Arbor, MI to make a dessert that incorporates at least 2 wines and 2 cheeses

Round 13 (tammylc in Ann Arbor, MI challenged Kouign Aman in San Diego, CA,to make a dessert from/inspired by an ethnic cuisine she doesn't usually cook and that incorporates at least one vegetable. Bonus points for actually using her "good and accessible source of interesting produce" (reference to 2006 resolution thread))

Round 14 (Kouign Aman In San Diego CA challenges Duckduck, Portland OR) a layered dessert using legumes.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I used to make fruit pizza with umm sweetened tofu and I guess it was a cookie crust (long time ago). Not sure about an herb...ooh, chocolate and cayenne!!!

I love strawberries in salad. It rips up my stomach but that's not important to brainstorming. :biggrin: Black pepper would be good with that.

Oooh I'm excited! Let the games begin!!!!

Y'know white chocolate candy clay would make pretty spaghetti extruded out of something, well a pasta machine. oooh lasagna! berry filling and yada yada yada.

Soup, hmmm, that's an interesting thought.

Y'know I'm really diggin the lasagna thing--so many layers so little time.

Well, sweet soups are very common in certain cuisines (Chinese, Malaysian, Hungarian, e.g.), and basil is often used in fruit salad. Sweet noodle dishes aren't unusual, either. For an Indian example, there's payasam. I guess I'm not totally clear on the nature of this challenge. Which herbs count as those "we tend to think of as savory"? Sage, which can be combined with butter, cinnamon and sugar and served with pasta? Pepper, which can be used in all sorts of sweet things? Ancho, which can be used in a very good flourless ancho/chocolate cake? I don't understand yet what is meant by the challenge.

Michael aka "Pan"

Where is Brian?

Am I suposed to be waiting for him before I offer any more suggestions? Just let me know... :biggrin:

Ok rosemary shortbread pizza with...what on top??? Berry sauce and white chocolate shavings for cheese. Now those could be real cute.

(I actually have made imitation tomato sauce out of beets for pizza :rolleyes: )

In fact, what about a plate of lasagna. A regular slice size could be a family sized serving of dessert or a dessert for two. And mini size could be serving for one.

Mimic garlic bread and the salad and the lasagna and all of it be dessert. Maybe some raspberry balsamic or just raspberry vinegar reduced on some strawberries on a frilly lettuce. You could fashion rosemary shortbread into looking like garlic bread with some yellow food color for butter and sprinkle paprika on top.

Oh man, we gotta factor in the Valentine thing too!!! Whoa, now my brain's really whirling....

I'm currently operating in the negative--I'm thinking a heart shaped box of meatballs covered in gravy to mimic a box of chocolates. That would be so cool though. Not for this challenge, but...Hey we're brainstorming...

I make a blueberry soup with rosemary - I like the combo. As mentioned, of course, Strawberry and black pepper - good with some Sambuca.

What about cilantro? Maybe with some mango/lime?

I remember the surreal gourmet did pound cake "french fries" with raspberry "ketchup"...what else was there?......swirled chocolate bark "bacon"...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

l'm thinking along the lines of a multi course tasting, all with dessert of course. Just give me until tomorrow to start since my wife and son are sick and I have to play mr. mom

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

ive been doing a white chocolate starwberry parfait with thai basil salad, oven roasted strawberries and strawberry glass, drizzled with honey balsamic reduction.

I just got a molecular gastronomy kit that I'm sure to put into play with this challenge

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

1-mini shortcake biscuit perfumed with herbs de provence, lavender curd and blackerry jam. Call it a "blackberry sandwich"

2-"Cream of Carrot Soup"

Carrot spice cake, tarragon panna cotta, orange vanilla caramel

3-Grilled Pineapple Brochette

baste with thyme syrup, coconut risotto

4-Strawberry Basil Salad

white chocolate strawberry parfait, candied basil, strawberry glass, balsamic "vinaigrette"

5-this is still in concept form

Pear "Wellington"

maybe caramelize pears duxelle style, place on top of a pear "fillet", wrap in puff dough, the sauce could be fennel cream served with fennel ice cream

6-a trio of soups

raspberry w/ sechuan peppercorn foam

apricot with ???

chocolate chipolte

this is not an easy challenge for me as I do not use alot of herbs in my pastry shop...i will be back with more ideas later

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

mango "ravioli"

lime cilantro buerre blanc

thinly slice mango and allow to soften in warm simple syrup. make a mango cremeaux, mold it in demisphere mold, freeze, pop out. cut the mango slices to imitate the shape of hand made ravioli, float in warm "buerre blanc"

chocolate blini

cinnamon cream and pomegranite caviar

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

everybody's feeling better. i'm late starting my store production for Superbowl and valentines pre day items so ill be back later. Got the mango creme in the freezer so that one may come at you fast

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

5-this is still in concept form

Pear "Wellington"

maybe caramelize pears duxelle style, place on top of a pear "fillet", wrap in puff dough, the sauce could be fennel cream served with fennel ice cream

How about chopped pecans or walnuts to mimic the mushrooms instead of pear duxelle.

And I must say, I do like ginger with apricot, or riesling wine.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea