• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for $75 per person?

paulraphael

(including a bottle of wine)

My girlfriend and I got a present ... $150 to dine anywhere.

We'd be interested in a place that serves interesting, at least somewhat contemporary food, with roots either in france of california (but we're open to some kind of asian fusion). Good value and fun, unpretentious surroundings are a plus.

Broad question, I know. Just curious what ideas people throw our way. There seem to be more nuanced oppinions here than in Zagat and Michelin.

Notes from the underbelly

$75 a head will buy you an excellent bottle of booze and a LOT of insanely good food at Momofuku Ssam Bar, but the food is certainly not rooted in France or California (other than emphasis on technique and creativity). But it is a fun time!

Another option would be to do Jean-Georges or Perry Street at lunch. Blue Hill is also manageable at that price if you order a la carte. The atmosphere at all those places is more sober than "fun," though.

[EDIT: Another option is Landmarc. Assuming about $60 a head for food, you'll get a $30 bottle of wine that would cost you $90 elsewhere. The food is quite good, also.]

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Degustation seems a good choice...French/Spanish influence, $50 tasting menu - I've actually never done the prix fixe and have still made it out at about $75/head.

The Bar Room at The Modern is also an excellent option (French there - Alsatian chef, and I had the FANTASTIC tarte flambee just this past Thursday).

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Degustation seems a good choice...French/Spanish influence, $50 tasting menu - I've actually never done the prix fixe and have still made it out at about $75/head.

The Bar Room at The Modern is also an excellent option (French there - Alsatian chef, and I had the FANTASTIC tarte flambee just this past Thursday).

I agree. I think this is the most value-added suggestion. You get an intimate settting, great food, wonderful surroundings, and the feeling of adventure. This was the first place that came to my mind.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I think Luckylies was referring to Degustation. At least that's how I'd describe it. If you're willing to trade scene for a more intimate dining experience, I'd say between those two Degustation is the way to go. All the other recommendations are good, too.