• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pate

vivelafrance

We're thinking about making our own pates, but we are not sure if we can or should freeze them. If freezing is an option, should we freeze before cooking or after. What's the result once it's thawed out?

If anybody has any experience in that, we are very curious about it.

Thanks.

Jacques Pepin on freezing pate ...

Pâtés usually do not freeze well, especially coarse country pates. The inside becomes watery and grainy. Because of its extra-smooth and compact texture, however, this chicken liver pate freezes perfectly. Do not freeze with the aspic or decoration. To freeze, cover tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Defrost it slowly under refrigeration for 24 to 48 hours before decorating and glazing. Small soufflé molds are ideal for freezing because they can be defrosted in only a couple of hours.

I personally prefer not to freeze pate lest it become grainy upon thawing ... :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Jacques Pepin on freezing pate ...
Pâtés usually do not freeze well, especially coarse country pates. The inside becomes watery and grainy. Because of its extra-smooth and compact texture, however, this chicken liver pate freezes perfectly. Do not freeze with the aspic or decoration. To freeze, cover tightly with plastic wrap, then aluminum foil. Defrost it slowly under refrigeration for 24 to 48 hours before decorating and glazing. Small soufflé molds are ideal for freezing because they can be defrosted in only a couple of hours.

I personally prefer not to freeze pate lest it become grainy upon thawing ... :wink:

Thanks...I guess that answers my question :hmmm:

Pepin is only one source on freezing pates ...

there are other opinions as well ...if you do decide to freeze it however, don't add hard boiled eggs .. they get rubbery ... and if you do freeze, the fat in it may help keep it in good shape upon thawing .. wrap tightly so that the pate doesn't pick up other smells ... and remember to scrape the gray from the top layer when serving it ...

there are other opinions as well ...if you do decide to freeze it however, don't add hard boiled eggs .. they get rubbery ... and if you do freeze, the fat in it may help keep it in good shape upon thawing .. wrap tightly so that the pate doesn't pick up other smells ... and remember to scrape the gray from the top layer when serving it ...

I found a recipe that suggested canning the pates. I think that might be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestions.

I found a recipe that suggested canning the pates. I think that might be the way to go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Is the Pepin quote from the complete technique?

Is the Pepin quote from the complete technique?

The link explains more .. but only slightly ...

Here is another bit of information:

edining's version ...

and a discussion between, I believe, chefs on Chef 2 Chef's forum ...discussion

and then there is this from Recipezaar

and, finally, one more variation on this theme: this recipe freezes well

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)