• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Glassware

weinoo

--90000--86187_product_1515227945_thumb_large.jpg

If you do a Google search for vintage cocktail or champagne glasses you will find many on line sellers. I cannot vouch for any of them( except my self, lol) as regards to shipping safely, quality & pricing, but supporting small business owners and buying green is always a great way to go! In my area Thrift stores, Estate sales, & yard sales are always good sources but it really does depend on where you are living. The glasses above were found at a thrift store!

Edited by Refined Vintage (log)

Refined Vintage offers only the finest eclectic collection of Retro, Mid Century and Vintage items to add beauty to your life.

Become a Friend on Facebook

https://www.facebook.../refinedvintage

There are a ton of online vendors, but you can never really tell what you are going to get. Many of these places buy from larger retailers while others make their own meaning that the quality varies quite a bit.

If you do choose to search online just be sure to read customer reviews as well as the fine print on the website. There are awesome deals out there, but also a lot of low quality products.

new update: Adam at the Boston Shaker carries single-stock glassware for reasonable prices!

Kevin, I can't thank you enough for this info ! I had "inherited" what I suspected were pretty common, but still semi-vintage, martini glasses. They're really quite lovely, they have a fluted stem and a "finial" between the bowl and the stem that's also heavily fluted. The bowl is quite angular, and the design just really flows. I'd seen them (and drunk from them) in several local watering holes. I only had two of them, and sadly, the last one broke about a month before your post about Boston Shaker.

I had succeeded in tracking them down on line, they're made by Libbey Glass (as I said, I suspected they weren't expensive...) and are still available. In commercial quantities only. Damn, I hate when that happens. Now, I drink a lot of cocktails, and I break my share of glasses because I'm a klutz, but I really couldn't ever forsee a need for a case of these things. 32 martini glasses is a little much, even for a lush fan like me. Boston Shaker has them in to order in single quantites, and I am now the proud owner of 4 of these beauties. I'm a very happy camper. Thanks again, Kevin, for the tip !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Pierogi - I know what you mean about that little "finial" on the stem that makes the glasses a pleasure to hold. I have some glasses that I "inherited" from a friend's MIL and would like to find some more as I can be a klutz from time to time :shock: . The taller glass nicely holds a 3 oz cocktail while the coupe can handle 4 oz if one is careful!

glasses.jpg

For something a little more sturdy, I picked up 9 of these at my local Salvation Army store for 75 cents each a few weeks ago. I suppose they are really sherbet or dessert glasses and are most certainly not fine crystal as they have a clearly visible seam but I like the little spiral design and enjoy using them for cocktails. They can hold a 3-4 oz drink.

SA glasses.jpg

I haven't seen anything really fine at that location but it's only a block or so from work so easy to check out. I will have to broaden my searches.

• 3 months later...

Those are a great find Blue Dolphin, Fostoria is great quality glassware. Those glasses are "Pine" made 1953.-1972. Nothing can compare to drinking classic cocktails from real vintage cocktail glass.

Refined Vintage offers only the finest eclectic collection of Retro, Mid Century and Vintage items to add beauty to your life.

Become a Friend on Facebook

https://www.facebook.../refinedvintage