• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Glassware

weinoo

I was wondering if anyone has a good source or three for glassware, especially reasonably priced cocktail glasses (i.e. coupes, d.o.f., reasonably sized (4-5 oz.) martini glasses, etc.). I'd prefer on-line sources that are known to deliver glassware unbroken - or, in the case of problems, have great customer service.

Thanks in advance!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You might be better off checking with your local restaurant supply store. Even if they don't have exactly what you want in stock, they will undoubtedly have catalogs from their suppliers that would allow you to order what you want. They might even be able to get samples in first if you were purchasing enough.

Another tactic might be to ask the manager of a restaurant whose glassware you admire if you could purchase a dozen glasses from them next time they place an order. Restaurants are forever ordering glasses, believe me. That way you'll have seen and felt the glasses in hand before purchasing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 11 months later...

My wife and I are learning a new cocktail every month this year as part of our new years resolutions (gotta have some fun ones too, ya know). I don't want to buy a ton of new stuff, but I'd like to get a few new glasses. One thing is I've been tending to make drinks in the 3 - 5 oz range and the martini style glasses we got at our wedding are of the 11oz variety. I wouldn't mind getting new martini style, or the bowl style.

Are there any online retailers that you've had good luck with and would recommend?

My wife and I are learning a new cocktail every month this year as part of our new years resolutions (gotta have some fun ones too, ya know).  I don't want to buy a ton of new stuff, but I'd like to get a few new glasses.  One thing is I've been tending to make drinks in the 3 - 5 oz range and the martini style glasses we got at our wedding are of the 11oz variety.  I wouldn't mind getting new martini style, or the bowl style.

Are there any online retailers that you've had good luck with and would recommend?

Actually, it may seem dumb, but I buy glassware from Amazon.com on a fairly regular basis, and have never had any problems. The selection isn't great, but I picked up a set of cheap crystal 5-oz Martini-style glasses a year or so ago that get a lot of use.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Thrift stores and consignment shops are a great place to find that stuff too.

Or eBay...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Yep: thrift stores, antique shops, garage sales, and the like are all fine sources. A lot of people want to get rid of those lousy small glasses from the 1950s and 1960s and replace them with 18 ounce martini glasses and margarita 40s.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I just picked up a dozen 3 oz. spigelau (sp?) coupes from Tuesday Morning, which is like a beat up version of Home Goods, for $1 a piece. I don't usually have any luck at places like that, but I did that time.

Luigi Bormioli glasses come packed 4 separate six packs to a case. Maybe you can order only a six pack from a restaurant supply store.

amazon has some really nice 4-5 oz coupe glasses, pretty cheap, but as someone remarked above you have to buy a case of like 36. I just got a buddy to split the case with me and just gave away a few glasses to clear the shelf : )

just a warning on ikea glassware: it's pretty much junk. bought a set each of the cocktail and wine glasses. i set one (empty) down on a carpeted floor. it tipped over and shattered! on carpet! another shattered in my hands as i washed it. we broke all 12 glasses in less than a month. and it's not that we're clumsy. other than those we break like 1 glass every 4-5 months. it's cheap, but you almost have to think of it as disposable.

anyway, not online, but pottery barn renews their glassware line every 3 months or so. i always check in there because they clear out old inventory. i've got some pretty nice stuff for $1 per glass. gotta be in there at just the right moment, though.

A number of cocktail spots in NYC use the Libbey Embassy coupes. They look good, they are nearly indestructible and they are available in sizes of 3 1/2 ounces, 4 1/2 ounces and 5 1/2 ounces. A case of three dozen will run you around a hundred bucks ($2.77 a stem) from someplace like here. Split a case with some friends, or just keep the rest of the case in the back of a closet somewhere to restock after the inevitable breakage. The nice thing about having a big box of inexpensive cocktail glasses is that you don't have to treat them with kid gloves. Just treat them like regular glassware and when one breaks... oh well! It's only costing you three bucks.

--

A number of cocktail spots in NYC use the Libbey Embassy coupes.  They look good, they are nearly indestructible and they are available in sizes of 3 1/2 ounces, 4 1/2 ounces and 5 1/2 ounces.  A case of three dozen will run you around a hundred bucks ($2.77 a stem) from someplace like here.  Split a case with some friends, or just keep the rest of the case in the back of a closet somewhere to restock after the inevitable breakage.  The nice thing about having a big box of inexpensive cocktail glasses is that you don't have to treat them with kid gloves.  Just treat them like regular glassware and when one breaks... oh well!  It's only costing you three bucks.

Agree 100%, these are the glasses I purchased, got them through amazon.

If you're in or around NYC, I found a place on the Bowery going out of business. I bought three dozen of old champagne saucer stemware. They only had the 3oz size.They claimed they were in the basement for 50 years and judging by the deteriorating boxes, it sure seemed it. They were about $1.50 a glass. That was last weekend (the 18th). Their location may be closed now but they are merging with Balter (Delancey & Bowery) across the street. So check Balter to see if they incorporated their old stock with Balter.

"Wives and such are constantly filling up any refrigerator they have a

claim on, even its ice compartment, with irrelevant rubbish like

food."" - Kingsley Amis

just a warning on ikea glassware: it's pretty much junk.  bought a set each of the cocktail and wine glasses.  i set one (empty) down on a carpeted floor.  it tipped over and shattered!  on carpet!  another shattered in my hands as i washed it.  we broke all 12 glasses in less than a month.  and it's not that we're clumsy.  other than those we break like 1 glass every 4-5 months.  it's cheap, but you almost have to think of it as disposable.

Odd, I've had mine for at least 2 years with problems. I have the ones I linked to, and they've held up well.

just a warning on ikea glassware: it's pretty much junk.  bought a set each of the cocktail and wine glasses.  i set one (empty) down on a carpeted floor.  it tipped over and shattered!  on carpet!  another shattered in my hands as i washed it.  we broke all 12 glasses in less than a month.  and it's not that we're clumsy.  other than those we break like 1 glass every 4-5 months.  it's cheap, but you almost have to think of it as disposable.

Odd, I've had mine for at least 2 years with problems. I have the ones I linked to, and they've held up well.

well... maybe they've improved. i bought mine at the store 4-5 years ago. broke if you looked at them crosseyed!

• 4 years later...

I'd just like to point out that http://www.awesomedrinks.com/ seems to carry proper (single) old-fashioned glasses and 11 oz highball/ 12 oz collins glasses. They're super-expensive in small quantities, though ($25 for 4).

I'm hoping to revive this thread - anyone know of good, cheap places to find cocktail glassware? I've pretty much emptied out all the thrift stores in the area already.

Also, what's the best highball glass size? I was thinking 8 to 10 oz.

I blog about science and cooking: www.sciencefare.org

I'd just like to point out that http://www.awesomedrinks.com/ seems to carry proper (single) old-fashioned glasses and 11 oz highball/ 12 oz collins glasses. They're super-expensive in small quantities, though ($25 for 4).

I'm hoping to revive this thread - anyone know of good, cheap places to find cocktail glassware? I've pretty much emptied out all the thrift stores in the area already.

Also, what's the best highball glass size? I was thinking 8 to 10 oz.

I always recommend the Duralex Picardie glasses. They come in many sizes, are very durable, stackable, and attractive. You can get them lots of places, but also Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Duralex-Picardie-4-Ounce-Clear-Tumbler/dp/B0017LR21Q/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_5

• 2 months later...

replacements.com has a pretty good selection of 4-ish ounce champagne coupe glasses for around $4/glass, plus shipping. Search for "tall sherbet". The style of glass I'm talking about is reflected in the below image.

Also, if you search Amazon for "Schott Zwiesel", you can find a good selection of smaller highball, collins, and single old-fashioned glasses, though they're not under that name. The single old-fashioned's are called "pre-dinner" glasses and the small highballs are called juice glasses.

princess_house_crystal_heritage_champagne_tall_sherbet_P0000075358S1104T2.jpg

I blog about science and cooking: www.sciencefare.org

I'm going to have to second the idea of checking local antiques stores. Craigslist might be another venue to check as well. You can pretty much find anything on that site for dirt cheap.

The antiques store is perfect because you can really get your hands on some rare pieces. You'd be hard pressed to find an antiques store that didn't have a variety of wine, martini, drink, etc. glasses for sale.

Might I also suggest thrift stores? You may have to look around at a few different locations, but it's well known that these types of shops have items with a lot of character and are incredibly cheap.

We have a free pile in our apartment building and wine glasses show up there more often than one would think. Not that this will help most people, just digressing...

• 2 weeks later...