• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuisine at Home

smangold

Does anyone have an opinion of Cuisine at Home magazine they like to share? I received a preview copy in the mail a while ago and stumbled across it today. The magazine seems similar to Cook’s Illustrated in that they have no advertising, review products and have a Q&A section.

I may try a couple of recipes (Chicken Piccata, Penne with Pistachios, Asparagus and Cream) or more from the issue I have (not dated).

I would subscribe to this magazine based off of this issue but would like to get some opinions first.

Thanks,

Scott

I would subscribe to this magazine based off of this issue but would like to get some opinions first.

I have subscribed for a couple of years and like the magazine. It's pretty straight forward and the recipes are pretty accurate. I've made a number of recipes from the magazine and I don't think there were any failures, or "what were they thinking" moments.

I've received a two or three "free trial issues", and tried several of the recipes.

I was quote satisfied with the results, but never got around to subscribing.

SB (why buy the cow .... :rolleyes:

I have gotten a couple of issues too and really like it. The most recent issue had a recipe for making creme fraiche. I haven't tried it yet and if there weren't subscriptions to Penzys and Food and Wine already around my house I would probably get it. The recipes have always been really good.

My mother-in-law has a subscription and I have probably read three or four years' worth of issues and tried a number of recipes (as has she). It's not high-fallutin' stuff, but every recipe I have tried turns out just fine, so I think they are well-tested. Interesting to read and good for everyday meals, IMHO.

-Rinsewind

"An' I expect you don't even know that we happen to produce some partic'ly fine wines, our Chardonnays bein' 'specially worthy of attention and compet'tively priced, not to mention the rich, firmly structur'd Rusted Dunny Valley Semillons, which are a tangily refreshin' discovery for the connesewer ...yew bastard?"

"Jolly good, I'll have a pint of Chardonnay, please."

Rincewind and Bartender, The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett

I have subscribed for a couple of years and like the magazine. It's pretty straight forward and the recipes are pretty accurate. I've made a number of recipes from the magazine and I don't think there were any failures, or "what were they thinking" moments.

As opposed to the Cook's Illustrated chicken piccata, which would de-molecularize your tongue and send it spinning to Calabria! Holy Lemon!

Also, I did their recipe for gumbo (1999) step-by-step and ended up with a pretty good vat of soup that was absolutely crying out for a generous glug of sherry. How could they miss something that obvious?

I think CI is pretty conservative when they're not whackadoo over-the-top.... I wish they'd reach a happy medium.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

• 1 year later...

I have been very interested in reading the comments about Cook's Illustrated. We subscribe to Cook's Illustrated (my husband's favourite) and Cuisine at Home (my favourite). Since CAH is also accepts no advertising, I would be curious to get your take on this magazine vis a vis Cook's. I know it isn't as scientific as Cook's, and the product reviews aren't as detailed (for that I would still use Cook's) but I seem to enjoy the recipes a whole lot more. I also find their customer service to be excellent - in the past, I have heard back from them within one day of writing to them, as opposed to next to never from Cook's. I wonder of Chris Kimball really knows how bad their customer service really is? If he does, one can only assume he doesn't care which, of course, would be the height of bow-tied arrogance.

• 1 month later...

I've subscribed to C@H for about 4 years now and love it. In that time, I've cooked my way through hundreds of the recipes and less than five were total bombs. Most were quite delicious and at least 1/4 of them were "Keepers" that I have filed and have made again and again. Several are my husbands favorites. I've even used several of the recipes for my catering! I just got my August issue and I am looking forward to cooking my way through it.

I get a lot of food magazines through which I browse and read and relish the pretty pictures. C@H is the only one that I do cook my way through it, front to back. I've learned many great techniques, I love that they have clear pictures, and the layout of the recipes makes them virtually idiot-proof so I can copy them and share with family fearlessly. I recommend it highly.