• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crawfish

Soup

I was just reminded that crawfish season is starting very soon and I have a serious craving for them. I'd appreciate any insights into either a resturant that has crawfish boil type of a dish or a place around the Balt. DC area that will sell me some crawfish (I'd prefer live but will consider already boiled and frozen) at a reasonable price and I can do my own boil.

I was just reminded that crawfish season is starting very soon and I have a serious craving for them.  I'd appreciate any insights into either a resturant that has crawfish boil type of a dish or a place around the Balt. DC area that will sell me some crawfish (I'd prefer live but will consider already boiled and frozen) at a reasonable price and I can do my own boil.

I've seen them frozen at Balducci's, but they were not reasonably priced.

If you find please post. Many of the places that ship from LA are out of business now. :sad:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 3 weeks later...
I was just reminded that crawfish season is starting very soon and I have a serious craving for them.  I'd appreciate any insights into either a resturant that has crawfish boil type of a dish or a place around the Balt. DC area that will sell me some crawfish (I'd prefer live but will consider already boiled and frozen) at a reasonable price and I can do my own boil.

You can go to the Marina area in DC right over the bridge about 1/4 mi from the Jefferson Memorial they should surely have it. If not ask one of the fish vendors there they will usually get it for you if you ask and their prices are very inexpensive. Also if you go to Phillips Seafood up the street, walking distance - they always have Crawfish in the copper kettles there, they can pack it to go for you or maybe they have some for sale there that are fresh/fresh-frozen. Also you can probably check Wegmans they always have had delicious seafood selections IMHO! :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Hey Soup, are you a native Louisianian?

We order live crawfish from cajungrocer.com, and have done so successfully post-Katrina.

If it's frozen tails you're looking for, I usually have luck at Whole Foods, though it might be a little early.

Nope but have spent a lot of time in NO and other parts of the state.

I'm actually thinking about crashing the loyola alumni event where they do a boil.

Hey Soup, are you a native Louisianian?

We order live crawfish from cajungrocer.com, and have done so successfully post-Katrina.

If it's frozen tails you're looking for, I usually have luck at Whole Foods, though it might be a little early.

Nope but have spent a lot of time in NO and other parts of the state.

I'm actually thinking about crashing the loyola alumni event where they do a boil.

There are quite a few large boils every year, mostly alumni related -- UL, LSU, Tulane, Loyola, etc. I think the Louisiana State Society also has one. They generally charge around $35 a head and have live music and beer, so it's a pretty good deal.

On another note, I would strongly advise against the fresh/frozen crawfish. In my experience, they are nasty.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

My enterprising wife ordered 3 packs of tails online from Louisiana Crawfish this week for $56, shipped overnight, and they were from an outfit in Eunice. Pretty good too! Might seem steep, but we made 3 meals for the 2 of us off 2 pounds with an etouffee, and 1 is going to go real soon in a risotto recipe we have.

The UL alumni crawfish boil will take place first week in May. In recent years it's been held at a park in Mt. Vernon, VA.

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

• 4 weeks later...

You might call Johnny's Half Shell. I believe (I would check right now, but I would rather spread rumors and innuendo-after all, I realize that I am dealing with DC folks who are used to this kind of behavior) they might be doing some later in the Spring. I know that Johnny, earlier in the year, was planning on doing some boils out on the patio (it's a really good space for that kind of thing)-but I'm not sure where that is at the moment. They're pretty tied up with getting the Taqueria/Take-out up and running. I'll check and try to let you know.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

"On another note, I would strongly advise against the fresh/frozen crawfish. In my experience, they are nasty."

I'm going to second bavila's opinion here, the frozen crawfish products I've tried were not satisfactory, no flavor and a mealy texture.

Anyone have a brand or source of frozen product they think is good?

Bayou Fete IV...coming May 2007.

Color me ignorant but if one is a lowly Maryland Terrapin, can they still purchase tickets? They ask for Louisianna school affiliation on the order form but it doesn't seem they would check.

Thank you,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Bayou Fete IV...coming May 2007.

Color me ignorant but if one is a lowly Maryland Terrapin, can they still purchase tickets? They ask for Louisianna school affiliation on the order form but it doesn't seem they would check.

Thank you,

Kevin

I'm not an alum and I just bought tickets. BTW, my kids and the wife will not eat this stuff and certianly don't drink the beer. they do allow you to bring in outside food. Thank goodness because I would have had to go stag.

Soup

• 1 month later...

Bayou Fete IV was yesterday in Fort Hunt park, va. This is the alumni event for LA schools. 10,000lbs of crawfish. Also had potato, corn on the cob, great andoullie sausage, jambalaya, and beer. AYCE and drink. A great event, very relaxed and family friendly. Will be going back next year. What a great event!!!

BTW, who ever was in charge did a great job making doing the boil and making jambalaya.