• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi for sadists...

akebono

Wow! I have never seen anything like that, I found it quite gross and I often eat sashimi when the fish is still flopping on my plate....

The chef explains that when he was a child he read in a manga (comic) about a guy doing this and he has wanted to try it since.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Wow! I have never seen anything like that, I found it quite gross and I often eat sashimi when the fish is still flopping on my plate....

The chef explains that when he was a child he read in a manga (comic) about a guy doing this and he has wanted to try it since.

i figured if you had not seen it kris,

not many have. thanks for the translation too.

-m

BTW what kind of fish is that?

Edited by akebono (log)

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

OK thats worse than what I had at Jewel Bako a couple of years ago which was shrimp sushi and they served the head/body on the plate with the legs and antennae still moving. Sorry but just wrong.

Tom

I want food and I want it now

That really is cruel, and I'm a sushi lover.  :angry:

The narrator says that fish don't have pain spots and do not feel the pain.

The fish in the video is a snapper (tai) called ishi dai.

I still say it's cruel. That, to me, is like experimenting on animals for the fun of it. Not much fun for the animals!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Fish don't have pain receptors-if they did they'd swim toward the fisherman when they were hooked.

BTW-I eat live Prawns all the time-yank off the head suck out the juice/WHY then peel off the still wriggling body and slurp down the flesh-it's NBD.

The truly cruel part-IME-is not killing a fish that has been just taken out of the water-it's suffocating out of water.

The place on the north side of Chicago is Heat. The proper presentation actually severs the main nerve and the fish is served Sashimi style with the head on the plate with the mouth open looking up at you. What is the problem? The fish is dead, just the same as in any other sushi bar? -Dick