• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Siniya

A couple of months ago, we went to Israel for Rosh Hashana. On one of our last evenings there the family took us out for dinner at a restaurant where my brother-in-law ordered siniya, a dish consisting of minced beef and spices, layered with potatoes and topped with tchina. I tasted some and instantly regretted not having ordered it myself, it was so good!

I wanted to re-create the dish but all I could find is a handful of recipes that do not include potatoes (this one by eGullet member Daniel Rogov, for example). Is the dish I had a bastardized version? Can anyone help me out...?

Thanks!

The dish can be made with or without potatoes. I layer mine with potatoes.

Thanks for your comment! Do you parboil the potatoes or use them raw? And if so, how long do you cook the complete dish?

The dish can be made with or without potatoes. I layer mine with potatoes.

Thanks for your comment! Do you parboil the potatoes or use them raw? And if so, how long do you cook the complete dish?

I do not parboil the potatoes. I slice them quite thin and cook the dish for about 35 to 40 minutes until the meat and potatoes are done. I cover the dish with foil and only take off at the last 10 minutes of cooking.