• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Fried Bacon

akebono

I love the shot of the guy having a smoke with his fried bacon and gravy...talk about the money shot! Of course, I'd totally try it! I doubt I could make a regular habit of it though, my conscience would kill me! How many minutes do you need to do on the eliptical to burn off one piece of gravy dipped chicken fried bacon? Mmmmmm, now that is what Alton would call "Good Eats"!

OMG! What an innovation!

:shock:

That particular dish is just screaming for jowl bacon, and biscuits and sausage gravy on the side instead of the cream gravy.

My husband (who has freakishly low cholesterol and blood pressure and could eat fat with a spoon) will love it.

I think I will give it a whirl.

Wow judiu, you are in Pompano, right? I am between Hallendale Beach Blvd and Ive's Dairy Road! Sorry, will call or PM next time, but you could have been here in the time it took me to cook this!

Now, in true Texas/Georgia/Florida fusion (TexFlaGa), I present to you:

Chicken Fried Jowl Bacon with Sausage Gravy and Biscuits paired with a Double Tall Vodka and Freshly Sqeezed Grapefruit Juice:

gallery_39581_4161_237460.jpg

The Chicken Fried Bacon in and of itself is good, but it does need the gravy to take it to the next level.

gallery_39581_4161_130604.jpg

I was concerned that the fried bacon would end up with more of a chiccarone or pork rind like texture, but the lovely unctuousness and silkiness of the pork fat was delicately encased in the crispy coating. The gravy in itself is lovely, but when the pork fat bursts through on the first bite, it is just heaven. Here's the bite picture:

gallery_39581_4161_45257.jpg

Personally, if I were to serve this as an appy, I would serve with a ramekin of creamed corn with a quartered ripe tomato on the side. Also, you need the biscuit if you are just going country fried bacon and gravy. Must have a biscuit.

Really good brunch, and hubby has retired for his Saturday nap now.

This was fun.

Edited by annecros (log)

Now, in true Texas/Georgia/Florida fusion (TexFlaGa), I present to you:

Country Fried Jowl Bacon with Sausage Gravy and Biscuits paired with a Double Tall Vodka and Freshly Sqeezed Grapefruit Juice:

gallery_39581_4161_237460.jpg

The Chicken Fried Bacon in and of itself is good, but it does need the gravy to take it to the next level.

gallery_39581_4161_130604.jpg

I was concerned that the fried bacon would end up with more of a chiccarone or pork rind like texture, but the lovely unctuousness and silkiness of the pork fat was delicately encased in the crispy coating. The gravy in itself is lovely, but when the pork fat bursts through on the first bite, it is just heaven. Here's the bite picture:

gallery_39581_4161_45257.jpg

Personally, if I were to serve this as an appy, I would serve with a ramekin of creamed corn with a quartered ripe tomato on the side. Also, you need the biscuit if you are just going country fried bacon and gravy. Must have a biscuit.

Really good brunch, and hubby has retired for his Saturday nap now.

This was fun.

I could go for this... occasionally!

Okay, originally being a Notherner... exactly what is in the recipe for chicken-fried batter?? (Quantities, please.) My husband lurvs chicken-fried steak.

(Think this'll take off and become the next Buffalo wings?)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I could go for this... occasionally!

Okay, originally being a Notherner... exactly what is in the recipe for chicken-fried batter?? (Quantities, please.) My husband lurvs chicken-fried steak.

(Think this'll take off and become the next Buffalo wings?)

OK, I had no idea what the original guy did, so I winged it. One egg, cup of milk, two shakes of worchestershire and two dashes of tobasco whipped up in a bowl with a fork. In a gallon sized baggy, a cup of self rising flour about a teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Dip the bacon into the egg wash, then drop it into the baggy with the flour mixture and shake it up, then set it on a rack to dry. Preheat peanut oil to 350 while the coating sets on the bacon. Fry until coating is crispy.

You can use the same method to coat anything you are going to chicken fry.

I don't know where this is going, exactly...

OK, I had no idea what the original guy did, so I winged it. One egg, cup of milk, two shakes of worchestershire and two dashes of tobasco whipped up in a bowl with a fork. In a gallon sized baggy, a cup of self rising flour about a teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Dip the bacon into the egg wash, then drop it into the baggy with the flour mixture and shake it up, then set it on a rack to dry. Preheat peanut oil to 350 while the coating sets on the bacon. Fry until coating is crispy.

Thank you, thank you!!!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Been to Sodolak's twice and will definitely return next time I'm in the area. The bacon is a real treat, especially when dipped in the cream gravy. Snook is an unlikely destination, but is very close to Bryan/College Station (Texas A&M) and Caldwell, TX. This area is a Czech stronghold if you're in an ethnic mood.

No one would call this stuff "health food" but ... sure looks good to me! :laugh:

Nope, not health food. I plan to fry up my next batch in March, seriously. I am not going to do it twice in the same month.

It is good. And the oil I used to chicken fry that bacon is going to be used later this week to fry - something else.

:biggrin:

Thank you, thank you!!!

Let me hear how it came out. I am curious.

Road TrIIIIIIIIIIIP! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Where's Daniel? This sounds like something he'd stumble across on one of his road trips. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 months later...

I am going to make this for my husband's 50th birthday lunch tomorrow serve it with a nice microbrew and an automatic defibrillator ..he will love it!!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

OMG!

Finaly shaking myself out of a daze..........

chicken fried heaven, I Must have that!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Ugh. I'm from Texas, and enjoy my fair share of fatty food, but that just does not look good to me. It kind of makes me feel greasy just thinking about it.

Those giant steaks did nothing for me, either. I can't imagine how sick I'd be after eating over a pound of red meat. Ugh.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I am going to make this for my husband's 50th birthday lunch tomorrow serve it with a nice microbrew and an automatic defibrillator  ..he will love it!!!!

Lovely. Let us know how he liked. It is definitely within the realm of "man food" and shows it, and makes no apologies about it. It takes a heck of a woman to prepare it as well.

And yes, you do need at least a minimal, bit, of a sense of humor, in order to appreciate the absurdity and wonderfulness that is extant in Chicken Fried Bacon.

:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

HOW did I miss this before NOW?

Yesterday, I was reading about that guy with the deviled ostrich egg, and further down the page there was a mention of chicken-fried bacon. My first reaction was to involuntarily grasp my chest in alarm. (Once you hit 40, every little twinge could be the BIG ONE!). I went home and told my wife about it, as an example of bad for you food gone horribly wrong...

and then I woke up this morning and said to myself: "You know, if you took a few strips of that, and laid it across a piece of toast with a little smear of mayo, and then add a nice fresh tomato slice and some lettuce, and top it with another piece of toast...BRILLIANT!"

Now I just got to get my wife out of the house so I can experiment. She wouldn't go along with it, even IF I'm well-insured.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

Annecros, that photo would getcha married, if you werent already. Holy criminey! How about adopting? I'm familiar with that neighborhood, there's work not too far away, my mom would probably share me (tho not her grandchild), and I do windows....(and greasy dishes).

Now, about that sausage gravy... what sausage do you use? What fat?

My husband's tried making it with bacon fat and farmerjohn sausage. Its terrible - no sausage flavor. M'aidez s'il vous plait!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 3 months later...

ok where did my laptop go hey TUMMY give me back my computer

i just about ate my screen looking at that good ol bacon

on a serious note i just got off the phone with a nice texas lady that told me frank would be there in the morning

im going to ask him for permission to use his original recipe for my new place here in puerto vallarta mexico

so much for the healthy eatin

ill let you guys no if he gives it to me

of course ill name it after them in a great honor

bruce