• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideal home Oven

Cookwithlove

I have been asking around for sometimes now, wheather is house owner or commericial organisation like hotels and catering establishment. what type of oven they normally used for multi purpose like baking, roasting and others.

I ask abt brand, temperature range, tempered glass, electrical consumption/capacity,auto cooling fan, manual or automatic timer and most important of all wheather there is auto cut-off if temperature exceed maximum due to faculty, they gave vague reply.

It's good to give ourselves some safety check and constant reminder whilst the machine is still in good working condition than late when it break down. Not forgetting the spare parts available.(what are the problems part.)

Which brands of household ovens are popular?

Appreciate your input?

Thanks and wishing many hours of problem free cookng with your oven.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

I've had my Viking 48-inch range for about 7 years. I've got the model that is dual-fuel (gas burners, electric ovens), with six burners and a grill. I've had only one minor problem with the ignition on one burner in the years I've owned it. The burners and ovens work beautifully, and the grill is great. It has metal bars (rather than "briquettes," similar to Weber gas grills, which make for very easy clean-up. And the grill temperature is adjustable, whereas on some other ranges it's not.

When undergoing a major kitchen renovation about 3 years ago, I decided to purchase an additional oven. I lucked out - the appliance store had gotten hold of a number of Gaggenau wall ovens that they were selling at less than one-half the usual price. I purchased one of these, and it's a work of art and efficiency. On this model, the door swings opens like a microwave. I had it built in at a level at which I can, literally, stand immediately in front of the oven and lift things in and out with great ease.

I would never have bought a Gaggenau at regular prices (they are priced astronomically). It's a real workhorse, and I've been very pleased with it.

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)

I've had my Viking 48-inch range for about 7 years.  I've got the model that is dual-fuel (gas burners, electric ovens), with six burners and a grill.  I've had only one minor problem with the ignition on one burner in the years I've owned it.  The burners and ovens work beautifully, and the grill is great.  It has metal bars (rather than "briquettes," similar to Weber gas grills, which make for very easy clean-up.  And the grill temperature is adjustable, whereas on some other ranges it's not.

When undergoing a major kitchen renovation about 3 years ago, I decided to purchase an additional oven.  I lucked out - the appliance store had gotten hold of a number of Gaggenau wall ovens that they were selling at less than one-half the usual price.  I purchased one of these, and it's a work of art and efficiency.  On this model, the door swings opens like a microwave.  I had it built in at a level at which I can, literally, stand immediately in front of the oven and lift things in and out with great ease.

I would never have bought a Gaggenau at regular prices (they are priced astronomically).  It's a real workhorse, and I've been very pleased with it.

Great! you make the right choice by getting the Gaggenau and wish you many hours of happy baking and roasting. Take care !

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

http://www.aga-ranges.com/

I have a 4 oven AGA. You either love them or hate them. I love mine.

Always there ready, warm and welcoming.

Not so much a range, more a friend.

i1728.jpg

Jackal, how much you brought it and years?

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

Jackal, how much you brought it and years?

I paid about £1500 ($3000) fitted for it 10 years ago.

Doing a quick web search ther is a similar one on Ebay (buyer removes) for about £1000. Conversion to oil or gas would be about another £1000.

AGAs are solid metal, with very little to go wrong, so there is no disadvantage to buying an old one. Indeed the older ones had more metal and I prefer the styling.

Real experts can tell the age from the detailing on the lids.

http://www.agafixspares.com/html/help_identify_my_aga.html

Fully reconditioned and fitted ones run about £5000, new about £7500

We put a new kitchen in last year, replacing all the appliances.

The old oven (a Chef installed under counter) drove us crazy, although it was probably only purchased just before we bought the house seven years ago. It leaked heat outrageously (not pleasant in a hot climate). When we pulled it out there were dark heat scars on the cabinet walls around it. Heating was completely uneven (it was fan-forced only), the fan frequently broke down and we spent about $400 in parts for it. If it had been an OLD oven, we might have overlooked these faults, but it was modern, and gave us trouble from day 1.

The new oven (built into the wall) is a Bosch, and I love it. Quadruple glazing on the door, excellent heat protection (we don't notice the extra heat from it at all), good temperature control and heat distribution, some handy functions, etc, etc.... we also got a Bosch 'light speed oven', a microwave that also has 'normal' oven functions, and it's fantastic too. My only issue is that we mounted it a bit high, and the door doesn't open sideways (my mistake!).

Based on our current experiences, I could definately recommend Bosch.

Our KitchenAid went south a few years ago (not an ideal home oven), and it was replaced with a Miele double 30". Considered the Wolf and the Miele and went for the Miele due to the stability of temperature.

Simply the best oven we've ever used.

I too am in the market for range. I have some limitations in the new place - I only have 30" and it has to be electric. I cry to the food God and Goddess that one day...I will have gas.

I don't particularly care for the glass top surface but I am not havign much luck on stainless models with burners. I also don't want to spend $3K yet.

Any suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Our DCS range has been totally reliable since we got it, now almost a decade ago (I think). Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. It's very sturdy and at the time cost less than comparable pro-style Wolf, Thermador, etc., ranges. I read somewhere that Gray Kunz has two of them in his home kitchen.

http://www.dcsappliances.com/index_flash.php

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Would like to add a shoutout for Blue Star. We've had our RNB30 for a couple of months now and really like the burners, like the oven capacity (which holds up to three commercial full sheet pans <-- haven't really had a need to do that yet!), and the infrared broiler is top notch...

gallery_7232_4228_31925.jpg (Grates removed for cleaning...)

One day :rolleyes: I'll post pictures of the completed kitchen, whenever I get around to actually finishing the thing...

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

• 1 month later...
Would like to add a shoutout for Blue Star.  We've had our RNB30 for a couple of months now and really like the burners, like the oven capacity (which holds up to three commercial full sheet pans <-- haven't really had a need to do that yet!), and the infrared broiler is top notch...

One day :rolleyes: I'll post pictures of the completed kitchen, whenever I get around to actually finishing the thing...

Dear Joe:

I also love my Blue Star. But one tiny problem: my oven thermometer does not hang properly on those thick grills, it keeps falling off, and is painful to retrieve in a hot oven. Any suggestions?

Would like to add a shoutout for Blue Star.  We've had our RNB30 for a couple of months now and really like the burners, like the oven capacity (which holds up to three commercial full sheet pans <-- haven't really had a need to do that yet!), and the infrared broiler is top notch...

Lovely! Maybe I'm sleep-deprived this evening (no, make that definitely), but am I correct that the BlueStar is a gas oven, not a dual fuel range? I've heard "things" about issues with gas ovens for baking, so have been leaning towards the Wolf. And now that I've seen (and fondled :wub: ) the 60", I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to live with less--which BlueStar does offer. There isn't that much of a price differential, from what I've been able to learn on Froogle. What would reccomend the BlueStar over the Wolf? Other than the 190 different colors, of course? :biggrin:

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Joan,

Yes, I suppose that's the disadvantage to having such heavy-duty racks! Such is life. Anyway, the oven thermometers I use (Taylor or a Polder) usually have a "base" (i.e. the sheet metal is folded back to make said base) which sits on the topside of the rack. What type of thermometer are you using?

Bekki,

Yes, the BlueStar is all-gas -- Prizer-Painter does not even offer a dual-fuel option. And, yes, there are "issues" with gas as well as electric: moist heat vs. dry heat, "poseur" convection vs. true "euro" convection, irrational fear of having a gas line in the home vs. the expense of having a 220v line brought in if you don't already have it, etc., etc., etc.

[but I'm not concerned 'cuz I have both! In addition to the BS, there's our trusty lil' countertop convection oven which is made by Cadco. Have cake and eating it...]

The major difference between the BlueStar and the Wolf (dual-fuel option aside) is the burner design -- have a look at this article and see what the fuss is all about.

Short answer: Don't let others influence your stove decision because, in the real world, gas and electric perform almost equally in terms of the final product.

Edited by Joe Blowe (log)

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Joe, I haven't been using an oven thermometer at all, after getting burned once too many times trying to use tongs to grab my round one where it had fallen to the bottom of the oven. Just ordered a long Taylor one that can sit on the bars, as does yours.

There is one down point for the Blue Star oven, for me. It does not go up to 550, just 500. What this means is that when I want to heat my oven stone it takes all that much longer to bring it up to the right temperature (I gave up on using the sides of my HearthKit because it took 2 hours to bring it up to 500). This is the only way my late unlamented Amana trumped the Blue Star.