• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

wine with gazpacho de hierbabuena

That's a tricky one. I suppose that given the temperature of the gazpacho you'll want something cold. How about a Manzanilla? The dynamic rawness of gazpacho, with or without mint, is going to play havoc with whatever you try to pair with it. Manzanilla is particularly appropriate with a gazpacho, and I imagine the mint thing will work in its favour, since Manzanilla is excellent with mint heavy Moroccan dishes.

It is a tricky one, isn't it? A friend of mine is making it and he called me and asked what I thought we could pair with it, and I thought for a second and replied, "I have no idea!" That's why I was appealing to the members of the forum. Manzanilla seems to me like a reasonable choice, so unless anyone else out there as another suggestion, I think I'll give that try.

Thanks

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com

Victor, your vote wins by default!! My friend decided to bag the gazpacho de hierbabuena. Probably the right choice given the chilly weather that day.

We did have fish for a first course, paired with a delicious Enrique Mendoza Chardonnay Fermentado en Barrica, and Rabo de Toro as the main course (the sauce included some dark chocolate, giving it a kind of mole poblano touch, I guess), and we chose a wonderful Toro red (appropriate at least in name) by Telmo Rodríguez, Gago, to go with that.

And there you have it. Issue resolved! Or maybe not, come to think of it!!

Brian Murdock

Madrid, Spain

Teacher/writer

www.murdockmedia.com