• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

any good california viogniers?

halloweencat

Fetzer's Bonterra organic Viognier is superb value if you like the rich nw style with lots of creamy malo notes.

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

i'd go along with that. the only obvious similarity is in texture (and i'm speaking mainly of the mendo viogniers now ... on the central coast, i find the resemblance closer). there is a kind of "oily" texture to viognier that shows up in both places. but condrieu smells like ripe tropical fruit, california smells more like pear syrup or something like that.

For Condrieu. . . From least expensive to most expensive (although these producers have several Condrieu wines each) Pierre Gaillard, Francois Villard, and Yves Cuilleron. As much as I hate to say it (and for as much grief as I may get for doing so), I cannot recommend any California Viognier I've had -- and I've had plenty.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

i'd go along with that. the only obvious similarity is in texture (and i'm speaking mainly of the mendo viogniers now ... on the central coast, i find the resemblance closer). there is a kind of "oily" texture to viognier that shows up in both places. but condrieu smells like ripe tropical fruit, california smells more like pear syrup or something like that.

russ~

do you have a central cost rec?

Kahty

the two i've liked the most from the santa barbara area have been cold heaven and melville. that said, i find them in general a lot more fruit-cocktail-y and less well-structured than the mendo viogniers. alban makes a good one a little further north (slo). he also makes a killer roussane.

Two more American viogniers that are personal favorites:

- Calera Mt. Harlan; California (about $35)

- Harlequin (Clifton Vineyard) Columbia Valley; Washington state (about $25)

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Okay, I'm going to challenge myself on not being able to recommend at least one California Viognier. Below are some notes of mine (larger thread here) when I gathered some Twin Cities locals to taste some California "Rhones" Mary Baker (aka Rebel Rose) of Dover Canyon sent to me. I think Mary was trying to get me to see the light regarding California Viognier. I saw a glimmer.

2002 Alban Vineyards Viognier, Central Coast. This wine was the consensus favorite, regardless of Steven Tanzer’s 86-point rating. This is the first wine that has shown some floral on the nose (other than the Champagne). Beautiful honeysuckle, peach, and citrus. Pretty seamless from attack to finish. Creamy texture than features oranges, peaches, flowers, and a hint of spice. As it warms, it loses some lift and becomes flatter. A tiny bit hot on the finish, but that resolves itself when paired with food.

2003 Dover Canyon Viognier, Hansen Vineyard, Paso Robles. This was my second or third favorite still wine of the evening. One or two others thought similarly. Jim didn’t like it at all. Lighter in color than the Fralich, and more muted on the nose. Thankfully, nothing veggie-like whatsoever. Light citrus and stone fruit aromas, but also a whiff of alcohol on the nose. In the mouth, this wine shows much more balance than the Fralich – focusing on fruit and spice rather than oak. There is a bigger alcohol burn on the finish, though. Eating food with the wine helps control the burn on the finish, but it never fully goes away.

2002 Dover Canyon Viognier, Fralich Vineyard, Paso Robles. Strange nose that some of us found off-putting with notes of bell pepper and squash. But aromas of orange oil and peach still came through. The attack was oily and the wine felt heavy in the mouth, as if weighed down by mouth-coating oak. The finish was all peach juice at first, giving way to an alcoholic burn. It’s a big and oaky wine. Warmth helped bring more of the fruit and less of the vegetables out on the nose, but it also showcased the oak more on the nose and in the mouth.

2002 Changala Viognier, Santa Barbara County. Lee’s first impression on the nose was canned tuna fish. I didn’t get it. I could struggle to get the can but not the tuna fish. My impression of the nose is that this is a viognier that wants to be a chardonnay. There’s a large vanilla component. According to the winery’s tech sheet, the wine was fermented 50% in stainless steel and 50% in neutral oak. All of us commented on the oak in this wine. The flavor profile was a combination of orange rind and white peaches in between the oak attack and oak finish. We all thought the wine showed some nice acidity, which helped keep the oak from dominating even more.

2002 Tablas Creek Vin de Tablas Blanc, Paso Robles. 36% viognier, 30% marsanne, 26% grenache blanc, 8% roussanne. Tarragon herb on the nose along with white pepper and melon. Thick and oily in its structure, low amount of acid play. A bit of vegetation that mars the melon, citrus, and stone fruits.

2001 Sine Qua Non Albino. California. 46% chardonnay, 40% roussanne, 14% viognier. Overwhelming oak on the nose. Even more on the palate. Can’t get past it. I take everything back I said about the oakiness in the earlier wines. This wine is the poster child for over-oaked white wine.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

2002 Tablas Creek Vin de Tablas Blanc, Paso Robles. 36% viognier, 30% marsanne, 26% grenache blanc, 8% roussanne. Tarragon herb on the nose along with white pepper and melon. Thick and oily in its structure, low amount of acid play. A bit of vegetation that mars the melon, citrus, and stone fruits.

I Love :wub: this wine!

If i'm allowed to move away from France and CA, one of the best value Viogniers I've had (several times) is Yalumba "Y" series from Australia. it is about £8 in the UK and shows all the right characteristics for viognier without the slightly bitter aftertaste that some can have.