• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pacojet vs Frix-Air, anyone used both?

aidensnd2

We are considering getting a Pacojet and I was wondering if anyone has used the Frix-Air? Obviously the price of the Frix-Air makes it an attractive option but I haven't found anyone who has actually used it yet to get feedback from. Any input would be great.

Thanks

I've used a Paco-Jet at my previous job & really liked it & thought of getting the Frix-Aire at my current job because of the price, but when I saw that the containers only hold 1-1/4 cups (The Paco-Jet containers hold around 1 quart) I decided to forget the Frix-Aire & push the chef for a new Paco-Jet. Hopefully in the Spring.

Someone had told me that the price of Paco-Jets had come down, but that's not what I've been able to find. I searched the web & couldn't find anything below their $3,495 retail price.

If you buy either 1, my advice is to get extra canisters.

Always speak your mind. Those who mind don't matter and those who matter won't mind.

Not sure bout the price thing, but there has been a new pacojet designed submitted to the CE certification authorities to test for meeting all standards regarding 'Water Resistance'. It'll take 4 to 6 months from August '06 and from then, if there are any problems, they'll have to rework it or retool their production systems.

Basically, the pacojet is the same but they have redesigned some internal organs to allow the Pacojet to be hosed down and not have water leak into electrical components. Example, the air intake at the rear has been redesigned so that any water going into that entrance will be re-routed via a duct to be expelled, bypassing all important electrical components. There are several other additions too, including seals here and there inside the machine.

This extremely costly and time-consuming affair was done not only for the convenience of food service operations, but to get a better CE certification so that it can be declared and exported to certain countries under a customs code that can get a lower tax rate. I know....coz the tax in Thailand was 30% :-( With the new certification, it would drop to 3 to 5%,

Not too sure bout the Frix-Air coz never used it, but having met the owner when he came down to Thailand, all I can say is that Pacojet has an amazing business philosophy. He took time off from sourcing for and meeting potential distributors there to spend one afternoon teaching us all the tips and tricks of the Pacojet.

Oh, and the machine doesn't perform half that bad either ;-) Pure mango sorbet anyone?