• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Papaya King comes to Jersey!

John

A new Papaya King franchise opened Tuesday in Clifton. Located on Getty Ave. in the Corrado's Center, it is a very small store with a counter and stools on the sides and back. It hasn't been advertised yet as the owner/manager Matt Visconti wants to take time to train his staff before word gets out about their opening.

This Papaya King is different than those in New York in a few ways. It is much smaller. They will also have a cart outside the store with a griddle which will serve hot dogs. There are more toppings offerred here than in New York. I don't have a menu (they aren't available yet) but they offer cole slaw, chili, and other things that you can't get in New York. But they are more expensive as well. A 10 to a lb natural casing dog goes for $1.99. The special is $4.99 and includes 2 dogs and a Papaya Drink. It is at least a dollar cheaper in New York.

The dogs are from Marathon Enterprises (Sabrett) and are the same great tasting dogs you can get in the city. I enjoyed mine with the house mustard, which is a Dusseldorf blend. The only place near me where I can get a similar dog is Boulevard Drinks. But it's a major hassle to park at Journal Square. Papaya King serves a bigger dog (10 to a lb rather than 12) and is located in a shopping center with plenty of parking. A welcome addition to the New Jersey hot dog scene.

Edited by John (log)

John the hot dog guy

There are more toppings offerred here than in New York. I don't have a menu (they aren't available yet) but they offer cole slaw, chili, and other things that you can't get in New York.

Hm. Papaya King on E. 86th St. has been offering slaw dogs (hot dog with cole slaw and a pickle) for a couple of years now.

Christopher

Papaya King on 86th and Third has chili and all manner of toppings and sides (coleslaw, sweet pickles, "tropical relish," curly fries, etc.). I'll have to check the next time I walk past, but I think the special was about $4.50 last time I got it. It's Gray's Papaya that has more limited toppings and a lower price point.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This location is very convenient, at least for me. Big parking lot, a mile or 2 off the Parkway. If you use Mapquest, ignore the part about exiting near Paterson/19. There are 2 options at exit 155, take the Hazel St exit, which is the exit on the right hand side, turn left onto Hazel, go a couple of blocks, turn right onto Crooks Ave, go about half a mile and turn right onto Getty. The shopping center is on your left right after you make the turn.

It seems that I am wrong about the toppings only being available in Jersey. I prefer the dog with just a little bit of mustard. Their Grand Opening is today. I believe that there will be coupons and discounts.

John the hot dog guy

good call john. the hazel street exit is definitely the way to go.  19 is a strange road, and after decades in north jersey, i still can't figure out where it goes or why it goes there.

Even worse, up to about 8-9 years ago, Route 19 was called Route 20. That made TWO different "Route 20's" within 3 miles of each other! Talk about confusion!

Great news about Papaya King. Grilled dogs are my favorite.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I went to Corrado's to get a homebrew starter kit and went to Papaya King for a quick lunch. Two chili dogs and a drink went for $4.99. I had mine with raw onions, kraut, and mustard. The owner chatted me up while I waited, apparently he just bought the business two weeks ago and he was looking to add more things to the menu (onion rings, french fries, all the usual jazz) as well as keep on expanding.

For what it was worth, this was the best non-Rutt's Hut hot dog I've ever had. The casing was crisp, the filling was flavorful, and the toppings were all very distinct textures. The kraut was unbelievably crispy to the point where I wasn't sure if I was eating an onion or the kraut. The chili was the right balance of sauciness and meatiness and the mustard was nicely balanced. The papaya drink was very nice too, it was sweet and tangy without any extreme sugar rush. I don't think there was added sugar in it, period. My only complaint was that it was a little bit thin, it seemed to be more watered down than it should have been.

I'm glad I'll be making a lot of beer since this gives me an excuse to stop by.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

The owner chatted me up while I waited, apparently he just bought the business two weeks ago and he was looking to add more things to the menu (onion rings, french fries, all the usual jazz) as well as keep on expanding. 

So this place has already changed owners? That was fast!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I spoke with Frank, the new owner today who assured me that every thing has remained the same since he bought the place a few weeks ago. This Papaya King opened late January last year and was a stop on September's New Jersey Hot Dog Tour. Last time I spoke with Matt Visconti, the old owner, was a few months ago and he seemed happy that the school year began as the restaurant is located near a college which provides a steady stream of customers.

All I know is that Matt told the new owner that he wanted out of the business. I hope Papaya King does well in Clifton. They serve a great dog and are in a convenient location.

John the hot dog guy