• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Walnut Oil

Sararwelch

• 1 month later...

I've been wanting to try this recipe from "Saveur Cooks Authentic French" for Gateau aux Noix:

click

Thanks for the link to the walnut bread, cdh!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

You might find this recent thread interesting.

here it is.

The aillade is fantastic if you are a garlic lover. Best with magret, but also excellent with other strongly flavoured meats.

Edit: PS for a full pictorial on the making of walnut oil go to my blog below.

Edited by Dave Hatfield (log)

The best use I have found for walnut oil is in making furniture...It an oil that will catalyse, (dry, get hard,etc)and give a good durable oiled look to wood....

As far as cooking with it, I have not been able to use it for anything that turned out edible<G>

Bud

"As far as cooking with it, I have not been able to use it for anything that turned out edible<G>"

you owe it to yourself to try some high quality, properly handled walnut oil. it is very, very good. nut oils don't have much shelf life, so if you buy one that's been languishing on some grocers shelf too long, it won't be a pleasant experience.

try it blended into mashed potatoes. : :smile:

A vinaigrette with walnut oil and balsamic vinegar is a wonderful thing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Well I guess I better buy some new stuff....My original bottle of it may have been stale, cause it was very very bitter and strong...And if I still dont like it I can put it to good use as a wood finish....

Bud

Well I guess I better buy some new stuff....My original bottle of it may have been stale, cause it was very very bitter and strong...And if I still dont like it I can put it to good use as a wood finish....

Bud

It should be quite delicate and lovely

Bud

It should be quite delicate and lovely

Once opened keep it in the fridge. It will last much longer that way.

Actually, if you can find a cork that fits use that as a stopper. It will give a better seal than a regular lid.

Oh, crap, you'll only hurt yourself with that stuff. Box it up and send it to me and I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

You might find this recent thread interesting.

here it is.

The aillade is fantastic if you are a garlic lover. Best with magret, but also excellent with other strongly flavoured meats.

this is true. i made it last night and served it on duck breast. it almost overwhelmed the duck breast but tasted fantastic.

i can see how making it in a mortar and pestle would be better than with a food processor, though. you can never really get the silky texture with a food processor.

you say it freezes well, and i'm testing that as well...

• 1 year later...
you owe it to yourself to try some high quality, properly handled walnut oil. it is very, very good. nut oils don't have much shelf life, so if you buy one that's been languishing on some grocers shelf too long, it won't be a pleasant experience.

Is La Tourangelle Walnut oil considered to be high quality? Cause I just bought some, and I don't know if its just me or if its the product, but I'm not terribly impressed. What some would call 'delicate', I would say that I don't really detect any nut taste or flavor. To me, it comes off as bland than anything else.

And as was mentioned upthread - watch the age.

You would taste it, and know immediately its gone bad, right?

And, is there anyway to determine this before you bought and opened the bottle?