• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Hotel Pans" in the residential kitchen

Porthos

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I missed the link. I NEED that pan. Can you post it, please?

This one perhaps?

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/153705-cuisinart-combo-steamconvection-oven-part-3/?do=findComment&comment=2162108

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, lindag said:

Ever since someone (sorry, I can't find the thread right now) posted a link to this pan I have been determined to make a lasagna!  I don't care that it's still hot here, I really want lasagna.

So I made a CI recipe last night for dinner.  No pictures though.  It wasn't too tedious to make and it was very tasty.  I will freeze some for another time.

51kosOOKGuL._SL1000_.jpg

These are 1/2 hotel pans. Any restaurant supply should have them at a very reasonable price. I have several, and use them for all sorts of things. They are also available in shallower depth too, which I also put to good use.

• Thanks 1

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

28 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Yes, this pan is just perfect.  I did not need another pan bu I really love this one'

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MRE said:

These are 1/2 hotel pans. Any restaurant supply should have them at a very reasonable price. I have several, and use them for all sorts of things. They are also available in shallower depth too, which I also put to good use.

Not like a hotel pan I've seen.

• Like 3

Just now, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have 8 of them leftover from my catering days. It's what we called them. Maybe that's inexact, but even Google brings up these pans when I searched hotel pans just now. They fit into steam tables and chafing frames, and are also great for lasagna making.

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Or me. The corners are wrong and they are missing the lip that allows them to “hang” in a steam table.  Doesn’t mean it’s not a great pan just not a hotel pan.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, MRE said:

I have 8 of them leftover from my catering days. It's what we called them. Maybe that's inexact, but even Google brings up these pans when I searched hotel pans just now. They fit into steam tables and chafing frames, and are also great for lasagna making.

I have three hotel pans.  I believe a 1/2 size hotel pan is supposed to be about 12 x 10 inch.  A 1/2 size hotel pan would not fit in the CSO.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:44 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have three hotel pans.  I believe a 1/2 size hotel pan is supposed to be about 12 x 10 inch.  A 1/2 size hotel pan would not fit in the CSO.

Hotel pans are sized according to a EN standard, EN 631, called universally "gastronorm", which is in turn based on slightly older US practice.  A full sized hotel pan is a GN 1/1, and is 530 mm x  325 (that's  a 1/4 mm less than 20 7/8 x 1.1 mm less than 12 3/4 inches, for those playing along in US units.).  they're subdivided into 1/2 (325 x 265; 12 3/4 x 10 3/8) and 2/4 (530 X 162; 20 7/8 x 6 3/8 ).  Those measurements are the outside of the pan, the interior is somewhat less (25mm less, according to standard, which for those playing along is just very slightly less than an inch).  2/3, 1/3 , 1/4,  2/8, 1/6 and 1/9 pans also are specified and are the expected sizes (1/4 is 1/2 pan cut on the short side, 2/8 cut on the long).  the spec also covers tapers so that pans nest properly, and don't get jammed in equipment, depths, and probably what you're allowed to curse when you drop one out of the oven.

there's a different standard, called "euronorm", which is used for baking sheets, that's 600 x 400 mm for the 1/1 size.  (That's almost, but not quite, the standard full sized US sheet pan...). 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dscheidt said:

Hotel pans are sized according to a EN standard, EN 631, called universally "gastronorm", which is in turn based on slightly older US practice.  A full sized hotel pan is a GN 1/1, and is 530 mm x  325 (that's  a 1/4 mm less than 20 7/8 x 1.1 mm less than 12 3/4 inches, for those playing along in US units.).  they're subdivided into 1/2 (325 x 265; 12 3/4 x 10 3/8) and 2/4 (530 X 162; 20 7/8 x 6 3/8 ).  Those measurements are the outside of the pan, the interior is somewhat less (25mm less, according to standard, which for those playing along is just very slightly less than an inch).  2/3, 1/3 , 1/4,  2/8, 1/6 and 1/9 pans also are specified and are the expected sizes (1/4 is 1/2 pan cut on the short side, 2/8 cut on the long).  the spec also covers tapers so that pans nest properly, and don't get jammed in equipment, depths, and probably what you're allowed to curse when you drop one out of the oven.

there's a different standard, called "euronorm", which is used for baking sheets, that's 600 x 400 mm for the 1/1 size.  (That's almost, but not quite, the standard full sized US sheet pan...). 

@dscheidt the confusion may be caused by posts having been moved between topics.  The pan in which @lindag made her lasagna fits nicely in the CSO.  A 1/2 size hotel pan -- by whatever name or standard -- will not.

So until Cuisinart makes a larger steam oven or possibly until the anova engineers return from the south Pacific and have some months to sober up, hotel pans are not relevant to the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...