• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Hotel Pans" in the residential kitchen

Porthos

6 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

That's interesting.  Maybe it's their standard disclaimer and applies more to appliances?  Hard to see what could go wrong with a hotel pan!

I was shopping for a refrigerator and bought a commercial one because the warranty would be void if I used a residential fridge for commercial use.  How different is this from that?

I had been aware of Vollrath's warrantee -- or lack thereof.  I even bought some stainless steel bowls from them recently.  My dismay was not so much for the warrantee as for the second part of the statement:

The right is reserved to deny shipment for residential usage; if this occurs, you will be notified as soon as possible.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I've always thought hotel pans were cool, but never found a use for them at home. I prefer to use plastic containers for prep, because they do triple duty for storage and leftovers. And I don't have a steam table.

The big sizes do make great litter boxes for cats.

Here I use one size hotel pan for hardening ice cream, another for nut pastes, and a third particularly deep hotel pan as an homogenization vessel. 

I prefer to use plastic containers for cats.

14 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had been aware of Vollrath's warrantee -- or lack thereof.  I even bought some stainless steel bowls from them recently.  My dismay was not so much for the warrantee as for the second part of the statement:

The right is reserved to deny shipment for residential usage; if this occurs, you will be notified as soon as possible.

Sounds like a fake restaurant name is needed

• Like 2

I was in a Costco Business Center this morning and for giggles I was looking at commercial refrigerators and freezers. Across the different brands the price placard had a bullet point that stated "Warranty void for home use."  My only guess is that, I believe, commercial kitchens have individual dedicated circuits for the fridges, freezers,  and such.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

I was in a Costco Business Center this morning and for giggles I was looking at commercial refrigerators and freezers. Across the different brands the price placard had a bullet point that stated "Warranty void for home use."  My only guess is that, I believe, commercial kitchens have individual dedicated circuits for the fridges, freezers,  and such.

I think they don't want to provide customer service to residential customers. It's expensive and time consuming to do so. I believe it's why almost every commercial kitchen equipment company that branches into consumer products ends up spinning off the consumer division as a separate company.

BTW, I looked into getting a commercial fridge for home, because they're awesome, and are designed intelligently (room inside for dozens of sheet pans, no stupid drawers, etc.). The problem is that they're all crazy loud. And the ones I saw were energy hogs. 

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

I have a variety of stainless steel hotel pans, perforated for use in my combi oven, and non perforated for variety of uses, in heights of 1, 4 and 6 inches ( all 2/3 size, since that fits the oven).  The deeper  nonperforated are ideal for holding pork ribs or pork shoulder in the fridge overnight while covered in salt and dry rub .  It also works great for shredding pork shoulders after they have been smoked.  The 1 inch height are great for use in the oven for heating and reheating items.  I bought the teflon grill matts and cut them to fit to make clean up easy. 

Edited by Barrytm (log)

12 minutes ago, Barrytm said:

I have a variety of stainless steel hotel pans, perforated for use in my combi oven, and non perforated for variety of uses, in heights of 1, 4 and 6 inches ( all 2/3 size, since that fits the oven).  The deeper  nonperforated are ideal for holding pork ribs or pork shoulder in the fridge overnight while covered in salt and dry rub .  It also works great for shredding pork shoulders after they have been smoked.  The 1 inch height are great for use in the oven for heating and reheating items.  I bought the teflon grill matts and cut them to fit to make clean up easy. 

Tell us about your combi oven 

2 hours ago, Barrytm said:

Tell us about your teflon grill mats.

I once ordered something, from somewhere 

and after my name , but before the address ( street )

I added a fake restaurant name.

I dont recall why.

in a bit i started to receive free restaurant catalogues and some very interesting

restaurant literature.

until I moved

the stuff was really interesting

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I once ordered something, from somewhere 

and after my name , but before the address ( street )

I added a fake restaurant name.

I dont recall why.

in a bit i started to receive free restaurant catalogues and some very interesting

restaurant literature.

until I moved

the stuff was really interesting

I have done  this myself.

Its what got me steamed up about combi ovens

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/5/2018 at 11:17 PM, Porthos said:

Most residential fridges instruct the installer to use a dedicated line as well.  Whether or not that is done is a different story, but it's in practically every installation manual I've read, and I've read a lot of them for work!

• Like 1

all the combi-oven people were very nice 

when I called them.

none of the knew why there were no home versions

even Miele

this one 

https://www.yaleappliance.com/Ranges/Miele/Induction-HR1622I.aspx

could easily be made into a full Combi.

for that price , why not ?

you plumb it in for Steam Bread Baking

but not Turkey.

• Like 1

Gfweb -  I have a now discontinued Viking Combi oven.  I bought it as it was being discontinued for around $1,500.  It is about the same size as the Wolf, it is 240 volts, it is non plumbed, but that is fine with me. 

JoNorvelleWalker  since I have a 2/3 size hotel pan, there is no silpat that fits it exactly, and I have read that you can't cut them and use them, because it will expose the fiberglass and destroy it.  I originally bought some teflon liners, which can be cut to fit, and they work fine, though they are about as thick as parchment paper, but they have held up really well. Non-Stick Bakeware Liner 13 x 15.75   

I later found these, they are much thicker, but again, they can be cut to size, are non stick, and the only downside is that they curl up when you store them.      Atiyoc BBQ Grill Mat, Non-stick and Heat Resistant Mats for Charcoal, Electric and Gas Grill FDA-Approved, PFOA Free (5 Pack)

weinoo -  I don't have an eat in kitchen, or an island, but I do have a 12 foot long peninsula which comes in pretty handy when preparing food.  It is a 60's ranch house, which originally had a small laundry room off the kitchen.  I took that out, and reworked it into a pantry, and put the combi oven on the wall in the pantry.    I will admit that when I originally bought it, I thought that steaming would make food more moist ( I should have done more research, but that was years ago, and long before I found out about SV ) and that it would really be helpful in baking bread.  My version is not all that helpful for bread,  I use a combo cooker, but I use the combi all the time, it preheats in about 5 minutes, my Bluestar takes closer to 30, and the reheat feature on the combi is great for reheating and not drying things out.  

BTW, when I bought my combi,  you could get extra combi pans that fit the oven from Viking for some outrageous sum -  $200 if memory serves me right - that is when I found Paderno pans on Amazon and bought a bunch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barrytm said:

JoNorvelleWalker  since I have a 2/3 size hotel pan, there is no silpat that fits it exactly, and I have read that you can't cut them and use them, because it will expose the fiberglass and destroy it.  I originally bought some teflon liners, which can be cut to fit, and they work fine, though they are about as thick as parchment paper, but they have held up really well.

Thanks.  I was not sure exactly what you meant.  I have some teflon sheets I bought from KAF in ancient times.  I cut a sheet to fit my CSO.  Works great.

I've used hotel pans for years.

Current best use is in cheesemaking via a/the sous vide setup.

I've mentioned it before.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

9 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

I've used hotel pans for years.

Current best use is in cheesemaking via a/the sous vide setup.

I've mentioned it before.

I do the same, but with a circulator now with the hotel pans sitting in a Cambro container. The size I use fits perfectly.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:26 PM, gfweb said:

There's a bunch of vollrath on amazon

The Vollrath I wanted was on amazon a few days ago.  Now it's "Currently Unavailable".  Who here bought them all?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Ever since someone (sorry, I can't find the thread right now) posted a link to this pan I have been determined to make a lasagna!  I don't care that it's still hot here, I really want lasagna.

So I made a CI recipe last night for dinner.  No pictures though.  It wasn't too tedious to make and it was very tasty.  I will freeze some for another time.

51kosOOKGuL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 2