• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

by request

I happily use Paderno hotel pans in my home kitchen.  However I've been looking for a larger pan for lasagne, one that would still fit in my Cuisinart Steam Oven.  My search stumbled upon the Vollrath 72060:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-72060-10-x-6-x-4-stainless-steel-loaf-pan/92272060.html

But note this disclaimer, particularly the last part:

RESIDENTIAL USERS:  Vendor assumes no liability for parts or labor coverage for component failure or other damages resulting from installation in non-commercial or residential applications.  The right is reserved to deny shipment for residential usage; if this occurs, you will be notified as soon as possible.

I just want to make lasagne.  How can Vollrath legally or morally refuse to sell to me?

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

I happily use Paderno hotel pans in my home kitchen.  However I've been looking for a larger pan for lasagne, one that would still fit in my Cuisinart Steam Oven.  My search stumbled upon the Vollrath 72060:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-72060-10-x-6-x-4-stainless-steel-loaf-pan/92272060.html

But note this disclaimer, particularly the last part:

RESIDENTIAL USERS:  Vendor assumes no liability for parts or labor coverage for component failure or other damages resulting from installation in non-commercial or residential applications.  The right is reserved to deny shipment for residential usage; if this occurs, you will be notified as soon as possible.

Now in the US the Supreme Court has recently affirmed that a business can withhold services based upon First Amendment rights.  In other words, I am gay, if Vollrath finds that morally unacceptable they don't have to sell their pan to me.  But commercial speech is not First Amendment speech, last I heard, and I don't see how Vollrath can get away with not selling to me because I am not a business.

I used to be in manufacturing, making a product with many culinary applications.  But non culinary applications too.  I am a pacifist.  Many late night calls I had from countries' military or nuclear weapon facilities.  In many cases it had not been obvious we were selling to the military.  In at least one case there were sanctions involved, and if you get that wrong the executives go to jail.

But I am not making pressure cooker bombs, I just want to make lasagne.  How can Vollrath legally or morally refuse to sell to me?