• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Get a Bad Wrap

srhcb

Sometimes I get a new roll of plastic wrap or foil that doesn't come off the roll correctly right out of the box. One edge or the other will fail to unwind. If you catch this soon enough, which is easier to spot with foil than plastic wrap, it's usually not to difficult to peel the offending edge to catch up to the main body of the wrap. This also a lot easier to do with foil than plastic, since the metal is visible and doesn't stick to itself.

Tonite I had a brand new roll of Saran Premium with both edges stuck, and by the time I noticed it was too late for a simple fix. Sometimes I can get a small knife blade under the edge and cut of the unrolled portion at the point where the wrap has torn away, but with both edges stuck efforts at this rescue proved fruitless.

Not wishing to throw away the whole box, I resorted to a trick I sometimes use when a a used roll refuses to unwind properly. I cut through several layers all the way across, peel off the layers, and try to start a new forward edge.

After several attempts, with my patience worn thin and my language becoming more and more "colorful", there was hardly enough wrap left on the roll to make it worthwhile, so into the garbage it went.

I felt a little bit better.

Now, despite this unpleasant experience, I'd like to put in a good word for SC Johnson Co, makers of Saran products.

Several years ago, due to some federal regulation or lawsuit, they changed the formulation the original Saran Wrap. (I believe there's an old threas on the subject?) Unfortunately, the "New Improved" Saran Wrap didn't stick like the product in replaced. Apparently the market researchers at SC Johnson failed to realize that their customers preferred Saran Wrap for it's clinging qualities, since there are several other brand of plastic wrap on the market that don't stick to themselves. (Rendering them useless in my eyes, but, whatever?)

After receiving complaints from many consumers, a couple emails from me included, (using some moderarely colorful language), they introduced Saran Premium with properties similar to the old Saran Wrap.

So I emailed SC Johnson again tonite, voicing my displeasure. Nearly instantly I had an automated reply from them promising a personal response within 24 hrs. If my past experience is any indication, I'll hear from the company much sooner than that, and they'll be very attentive to my concerns.

I'll probably even get another coupon for a free roll.

SB (still po'd :angry: , but ok :wink: )

pssst, Stretch-Tite... :wink:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I have a roll of Saran: The Original Premium Wrap, which I'm not sure is the same thing you are talking about. Anyway, I think it really sucks...

I dislike its lack of elasticity, but am particularly angry about its almost complete inability to cling to any type of surface.

I have a roll of Saran: The Original Premium Wrap, which I'm not sure is the same thing you are talking about. Anyway, I think it really sucks...

I dislike its lack of elasticity, but am particularly angry about its almost complete inability to cling to any type of surface.

It sounds like maybe you have the "New Improved" version?

SB (it really sucks) :sad:

I gave up on Saran wrap a few years ago. Glad's pres'n'seal is my wrap of choice.

Even though I am not a professional cook, I have a thing for using S/S steam table pans and CAMBRO/Rubbermaid plastic "hotel pans" and the Glad Pres'n'Seal makes for a very secure covering for the stuff going in the fridge. I got a taste of how easily these pans clean up when I bought a couple to use for some volunteer cooking I do and the rest, as they say, is history (about 60 pans total - many purchased specifically for my volunteer cooking.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Hi,

I think that you can stick your original Saran in the freezer for awhile. When removed, it can be easily unrolled.

Saran really messed up with its customers. First, cheaper wrap in a red box; they finally switched to a blue box. Then, that god awful cutter instead of the metal serrated finger cutting edge; they returned to the old edge.

Call that 800 number and you always get a free coupon and the claim that 'none of our other customers have complained. Yeah, and pigs can fly!

Tim

Saran really messed up with its customers.  First, cheaper wrap in a red box; they finally switched to a blue box.  Then, that god awful cutter instead of the metal serrated finger cutting edge; they returned to the old edge.

I'd forgotten about that stupid cutter!

It added insult to injury, or maybe vise versa?

SB (but they do respond to customer feedback) :cool:

I gave up on Saran wrap a few years ago.  Glad's pres'n'seal is my wrap of choice.

I'm a big fan of Glad's Press 'n' Seal for covering pans, pots and leftovers. The only thing I don't do is wrap food in it directly. I made the mistake of wrapping some cheese in it and it nearly took the use of a blowtorch to unwrap the sucker again. :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

pssst, Stretch-Tite...  :wink:

Absolutely the best. I've been using this for years when I came across the same non-performance issues from Saran's product.

Pros:

extra clingy - industrial strength - twice the yardage

Cons:

You have to set up the serrated edge yourself - a bit cumbersome but worth it.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

You may or may not like their product, but the Customer Service is first class.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding SARAN™ Premium. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

SC Johnson is committed to producing quality products and wants consumers to be satisfied with them. I'm sorry to hear you were unable to get the plastic film to unroll properly. I apologize for any inconvenience and am sending two full value replacement coupons to the address you provided. I hope you'll give our products another try.

We really appreciate hearing from you whenever you receive a product that does not meet your expectations or our high standards. We listen to issues reported to us by our consumers. Comments such as yours provide the company with the opportunity for product improvement.

If you have future comments or product information needs, we invite you to visit or e-mail us again at www.scjbrands.com.

Regards,

Stephanie

Consumer Relationship Center

SC Johnson, A Family Company

SB (already bought a new package, which started unrolling correctly) :smile:

Replacement coupons for crap? Crap is crap, no matter how many coupons you get.

I don't think the change was Federally mandated. SC Johnson acquired the company and saw a chance to make some fat profits by reformulating to a cheaper product, keeping the name and charging the same.

I absolutely don't use Saran anymore!-Dick

Bad Wrap? How about a life long scar from that stupid edge? I have one on my thumb from when I was 12. I'm sorry Saran Wrap, it's been over for me for a long time. Plus, it doesn't really stick that well anyway. I guess I'm just a big fan of tin foil for most things. There are so many microwave containers out there anyway. I guess I just don't need you anymore.

Melissa

I buy the big box of Costco wrap 3000 feet x 12 inches with the slidey cutter thing. It lasts for years. It's under ten bucks. Love it. I double wrap stuff.

Umm, a great topper to use for larger sized bowls (as in bowls of icing or whatever) is cheap disposable shower caps from the dollar store. You can get the extra large size to go over the five gallon bucket size of containers. Or a big bowl. It helps a layer of saran wrap to stay put too. That elastic around there.

Umm, a great topper to use for larger sized bowls (as in bowls of icing or whatever) is cheap disposable shower caps from the dollar store.

These are also great for covering bowls of rising bread dough!

SB (grease the inside first) :wink:

I like Saran Wrap. It never hurt me bad.

And for $40 a day (thinking of Rachel) you can build quite an extensive wardrobe out of it.

Yes, but who would want to view Rachel Ray through it? -Dick

I'm going to admit to a very old-fashioned thing I do when I run out of Saran Wrap (or whatever it is that I've happened to buy, for I am quite daringly promiscuous as far as choosing food wraps go :shock: ).

I take a plate that fits the bowl and I upend it right on top.

Since I don't tend to keep lots of "leftovers" hanging around, it suits just fine, short-term. :wink:

Maybe a few upended plates would help with your Rachel dilemma? :smile: For forty dollars a day, she could buy some rather pretty plates, too, to add just that special touch to the wardrobe.

Umm, a great topper to use for larger sized bowls (as in bowls of icing or whatever) is cheap disposable shower caps from the dollar store. You can get the extra large size to go over the five gallon bucket size of containers. Or a big bowl. It helps a layer of saran wrap to stay put too. That elastic around there.

I buy the variety pack of Saran Quick Covers. They're washable and come in different sizes.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Once you've used the industrial Kraft or Sysco wrap, you realize what an insult Saran is. I literally will not use it.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Once you've used the industrial Kraft or Sysco wrap, you realize what an insult Saran is.  I literally will not use it.

I've used both, but don't insult easily. A plastic wrap just literally won't be able to insult me.

It may elicit feelings of pity, but really not that to any great extent either.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

• 2 weeks later...
pssst, Stretch-Tite...  :wink:

Absolutely the best. I've been using this for years when I came across the same non-performance issues from Saran's product.

I'm glad there are other members of the Stretch-Tite Fan Club out there. My friends think I'm looney. When I lived in the Midwest and couldn't find it, I made my mom mail it to me. It's been around for ages, but doesn't seem to have very wide distribution--not sure why.

Once you've used the industrial Kraft or Sysco wrap, you realize what an insult Saran is.  I literally will not use it.

Agree 110 Percent. If I had a place to stow the commercial sized dispenser I'd have one at home.

As far as bagging on the slide cutter, anyone that's ever ripped their flesh to shreds on a commercial (it's not a cut, it's an open gash) will gladly take a slider any day.