• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Funny recipe names

GTO

I just got to thinking, what funny looking recipes have you come across? Ones perhaps, that don't seem to make sense due to their wording. For example, I was looking for some coconut recipes on Food Network and came across:

"Grilled coconut wings with Thai peanut dipping sauce"

:laugh: Flying coconuts? I smell disaster!

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Not the standard set traditional names, that cause merriment among our transatlantic friends such as Toad in the Hole, or Spotted Dick, or even Pasta Puttanesca. Many dishes are named after famous demi-mondes of their day.

The strangest name I have seen recently was "Freedom Fries". Fried freedom, perhaps.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Kerry: Surely, that involves a flambe at some point?

Apparently not, as I recall it is a layer of cookie made with pecans, butter, flour and confectioners sugar, baked and topped with cream cheese mixed with whipped cream, instant chocolate and vanilla puddings, chocolate shavings or crushed chocolate cookies. Some versions have cherries (and that of course would be a virgin sex in a pan).

I recall having it at a party once - it was pretty darned tasty.

Curried Lamb Balls

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Crocked Ox.

It's a really simple crockpot recipe calling for Knorr Oxtail Soup that I got from Usenet about 20 years ago.

The funny thing is that Knorr Oxtail Soup is now Knorr Tomato Beef soup, so the name makes absolutely no sense anymore.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

"Grilled coconut wings with Thai peanut dipping sauce"

:laugh: Flying coconuts? I smell disaster!

Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?

I like "chicken fingers" and "buffalo wings" (yes, I know they're named for the city, but it still sounds funny...)

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Andrew: :laugh: I'd forgotten about fish ball.

We don't get this in the UK but I've always wondered about the origins of those Jell-O "salads". I've even seen them without any actual fruit, so what part of that constitues a salad?

Am I missing the obvious joke about it being the absolute anti-salad, touted as one because of it's fruit content?

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

We don't get this in the UK but I've always wondered about the origins of those Jell-O "salads". I've even seen them without any actual fruit, so what part of that constitues a salad?

Am I missing the obvious joke about it being the absolute anti-salad, touted as one because of it's fruit content?

Gelatin salads are salads in the same way that potato salad or pasta salad are salads. They're served cold, as a side or separate dish, and they incorporate fruits or vegetables.

I'll grant you, it requires an expansive definition of "salad". Purists might refer to this sort of semi-salad as a salaud.