• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jimmy Buff's

John

Yesterday I went to Jimmy Buffs E. Hanover location for the first time. This is the newest of the 4 Jimmy Buffs that are currently in operation. East Hanover and West Orange restaurants are owned by Jim Raccioppi, grandson of Jimmy "Buff" Racioppi, founder of Jimmy Buffs and inventor of the Italian Hot Dog. The Scotch Plains and Irvington locations are owned by Jim's uncle Mike.

The Italian Hot Dog at Jim's 2 locations don't have the excessive oils that his uncle's restaurants are known for. It's a matter of taste. Some people like their sandwich with extra oils. Jim's are more to my liking. Just the right amount of oil without being what many consider too greasy. The East Hanover Buff's also has a bigger menu selection than the other 3. Here you can get an Italian Hot Dog, footlong, (the same 5 to a lb natural casing dog served at Syd's) pushcart, (the same 8 to a lb natural casing dog served at Jerry's) and a giant quarter pound Schickhaus dog. This is a beef and pork dog that is very popular. Served at Max's and other hot dog restaurants at or near the Jersey Shore. You can also get hamburgers, cheesesteaks, shrimp, fish and chips, homemade soup, and many other items. Check out the menu at http://www.jimmybuff.com.

On this visit, I stuck to hot dogs. First I had a single Italian Hot Dog. It was excellent. Good fresh pizza bread that was hard and chewy. Each location gets their bread fresh from a local bakery. This bread was perfect for an Italian Hot Dog. The dogs are from Best, as are all of the beef dogs used here. But you have a choice of getting yours skinless or with natural casing. The peppers were plentiful and prepared perfectly. The potatoes were tasty and fresh. Not in chunks like Dickiee Dees, but sliced fairly thin, although thicker than Tommy's. I would have to say that this dog and Tommy's are the 2 best Italian Hot Dogs I've ever had. To make a comparison, I would say that I like the bread and peppers better at Buff's. The dogs are equal, while I prefer the potatoes sliced very thin like they do at Tommy's.

I also had a footlong. This is the same dog used at Syd's, which happens to be my favorite hot dog. Natural casing, 5 to a lb with a prefect snap and blend of spices. E. Hanover Buffs is the only place I know of that serves this dog other than Syd's. The popular gourmet grilled cheese restaurant in Jersey City called Melt, also used this dog before they closed. The footlong is prepared a unique way here. It is sauteed in oil like the dogs that are used for the Italian Hot Dog sandwich. Then it is taken out of the oil and put on a charcoal grill. The dog is then put on a toasted bun and topped with a tasty deli mustard. The result is a dog, that if you can believe it, is even better than Syd's! It's the same dog, and while similar in taste, the frying plus char grilling really brings out the flavors and spices in this dog. The dark char marks give the dog an attractive appearance. The grill is a charcoal grill, while Syd's uses a gas grill. I was going to sample the Schickhaus dog, but the footlong was so good, I had to have another one.

As I mentioned in other posts, this is my favorite dog to have at home. I buy them from the factory. And on occasion I get one at Syd's. Voted best grilled dog by the Munchmobile, this was the favorite overall of the S.W.A.T. Team. I didn't think that this dog could be made any better. But Jim Racioppi has proved me wrong. The combination of this dog, prepared the way it was, with the toasted bun and delicious deli mustard, makes this the best hot dog I've ever eaten. I was just blown away. Had the S.W.A.T Team gone here, I would have voted it best dog. It goes for $3.25 tax included. Syd's is $3.48.

You can get any of the dogs here made the way you like. If you ask for a footlong, it comes the way I described it. You can also get it boiled, then grilled, like Syd's if you wish. Or just boiled. They have a griddle as well, so you can have it that way. Next time I'll try one of the Schickhaus dogs. Again, you can get it the way you want, but if you just order it without specifying how you want it prepared, it gets cooked on a griddle and finished off on the charcoal grill.

The footlong was so good, I had both of mine with just mustard. But I sampled the homemade chili on the side. It was unique and very good. One of the best that I've had. Meaty, with a nice sweet flavor and a touch of greeen pepper.

Service was quick and efficient. You place your order at the counter and it comes out from the back. If you want to eat in, you pick it up at a side door which leads to another room where there's tables and a long counter with stools that used to be a bar. This sure beats having to go through the hassle of being waited on like at a Diner and having to wait again for your check like you have to do at Syd's. There is also a game room in the back that is available for private parties.

Tuesday's are called Fat Tuesday's. All double Italian Hot Dogs are sold for the price of a single. I highly recommend this place. I've been to other hot dog restaurants that try to do more than one type of dog. Rarely are they all done well. Jimmy Buff's is an exception. All the offerings are top of the line. The only negative part of my experience is realizing what I have been missing these couple of years since they opened this location.

John the hot dog guy

Do you have any idea if the West Orange is of similiar quality? The old locations are mediocre and greasy in a bad way in my opinion.

Yesterday I went to Jimmy Buffs E. Hanover location for the first time. This is the newest of the 4 Jimmy Buffs that are currently in operation. East Hanover and West Orange restaurants are owned by Jim Raccioppi, grandson of Jimmy "Buff" Racioppi, founder of Jimmy Buffs and inventor of the Italian Hot Dog. The Scotch Plains and Irvington locations are owned by Jim's uncle Mike.

The Italian Hot Dog at Jim's 2 locations don't have the excessive oils that his uncle's restaurants are known for. It's a matter of taste. Some people like their sandwich with extra oils. Jim's are more to my liking. Just the right amount of oil without being what many consider too greasy. The East Hanover Buff's also has a bigger menu selection than the other 3. Here you can get an Italian Hot Dog, footlong, (the same 5 to a lb natural casing dog served at Syd's) pushcart, (the same 8 to a lb natural casing dog served at Jerry's) and a giant quarter pound Schickhaus dog. This is a beef and pork dog that is very popular. Served at Max's and other hot dog restaurants at or near the Jersey Shore. You can also get hamburgers, cheesesteaks, shrimp, fish and chips, homemade soup, and many other items. Check out the menu at http://www.jimmybuff.com.

On this visit, I stuck to hot dogs. First I had a single Italian Hot Dog. It was excellent. Good fresh pizza bread that was hard and chewy. Each location gets their bread fresh from a local bakery. This bread was perfect for an Italian Hot Dog. The dogs are from Best, as are all of the beef dogs used here. But you have a choice of getting yours skinless or with natural casing. The peppers were plentiful and prepared perfectly. The potatoes were tasty and fresh. Not in chunks like Dickiee Dees, but sliced fairly thin, although thicker than Tommy's. I would have to say that this dog and Tommy's are the 2 best Italian Hot Dogs I've ever had. To make a comparison, I would say that I like the bread and peppers better at Buff's. The dogs are equal, while I prefer the potatoes sliced very thin like they do at Tommy's.

I also had a footlong. This is the same dog used at Syd's, which happens to be my favorite hot dog. Natural casing, 5 to a lb with a prefect snap and blend of spices. E. Hanover Buffs is the only place I know of that serves this dog other than Syd's. The popular gourmet grilled cheese restaurant in Jersey City called Melt, also used this dog before they closed. The footlong is prepared a unique way here. It is sauteed in oil like the dogs that are used for the Italian Hot Dog sandwich. Then it is taken out of the oil and put on a charcoal grill. The dog is then put on a toasted bun and topped with a tasty deli mustard. The result is a dog, that if you can believe it, is even better than Syd's! It's the same dog, and while similar in taste, the frying plus char grilling really brings out the flavors and spices in this dog. The dark char marks give the dog an attractive appearance. The grill is a charcoal grill, while Syd's uses a gas grill. I was going to sample the Schickhaus dog, but the footlong was so good, I had to have another one.

As I mentioned in other posts, this is my favorite dog to have at home. I buy them from the factory. And on occasion I get one at Syd's. Voted best grilled dog by the Munchmobile, this was the favorite overall of the S.W.A.T. Team. I didn't think that this dog could be made any better. But Jim Racioppi has proved me wrong. The combination of this dog, prepared the way it was, with the toasted bun and delicious deli mustard, makes this the best hot dog I've ever eaten. I was just blown away. Had the S.W.A.T Team gone here, I would have voted it best dog. It goes for $3.25 tax included. Syd's is $3.48.

You can get any of the dogs here made the way you like. If you ask for a footlong, it comes the way I described it. You can also get it boiled, then grilled, like Syd's if you wish. Or just boiled. They have a griddle as well, so you can have it that way. Next time I'll try one of the Schickhaus dogs. Again, you can get it the way you want, but if you just order it without specifying how you want it prepared, it gets cooked on a griddle and finished off on the charcoal grill.

The footlong was so good, I had both of mine with just mustard. But I sampled the homemade chili on the side. It was unique and very good. One of the best that I've had. Meaty, with a nice sweet flavor and a touch of greeen pepper.

Service was quick and efficient. You place your order at the counter and it comes out from the back. If you want to eat in, you pick it up at a side door which leads to another room where there's tables and a long counter with stools that used to be a bar. This sure beats having to go through the hassle of being waited on like at a Diner and having to wait again for your check like you have to do at Syd's. There is also a game room in the back that is available for private parties.

Tuesday's are called Fat Tuesday's. All double Italian Hot Dogs are sold for the price of a single. I highly recommend this place. I've been to other hot dog restaurants that try to do more than one type of dog. Rarely are they all done well. Jimmy Buff's is an exception. All the offerings are top of the line. The only negative part of my experience is realizing what I have been missing these couple of years since they opened this location.

Tautog,

The West Orange location is owned by the same guy who owns the East Hanover location. The Italian Hot Dogs are the same at both. West Orange does not have all of the different kinds of dogs available at E. Hanover. Just Italian Hot Dogs and sausage sandwiches. The Irvington and Scotch Plains stores are owned by a different guy (Jim's uncle) and serve a much greasier sandwich.

John the hot dog guy

• 2 months later...

I was at Jimmy Buff's East Hanover location yesterday. Although it's been mentioned here before, it bears repeating that every Tuesday is Fat Tuesday with double Italian Hot Dogs 1/2 price. This is at the West Orange and East Hanover locations. I had an excellent sandwich yesterday. Every ingredient was extraordinary and the bread is easily the best that I've had on an Italian Hot Dog. Delivered fresh every day from a nearby bakery and never frozen.

Jimmy Buff's will be having a Cardboard Cutout Contest at their East Hanover store. Strike a pose eating a Jimmy Buff's hot dog. Pictures will be taken every Sunday and posted on http://www.jimmybuff.com to be viewed and voted on. The winner will have a life size cardboard cutout displayed in the store. The winner will be anounced in July.

John the hot dog guy

• 6 months later...

John,

I am going to be in NJ on the 26-28 of this month for a wedding on Sunday. I really want to try the Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover.

Do you still work Saturdays?

It might be fun to get some people together for lunch there on Saturday the 27th of October.

-NJ2FLA aka Scott

Hi Scott,

I still work on Saturdays but I will be free for the next few weeks as I am recovering from knee surgery. I would love to meet you and anyone else who wants to show up on Saturday, the 27th. This place was the most popular stop on the New Jersey Hot Dog Tour a couple of weeks ago. Although it's a distance from home, I go often. Tuesdays are Fat Tuesday, with double Italian Hot Dogs going for half price. As stated earlier, they serve the Syd's dog here and it actually tastes better than it did at Syd's. Buff's has a real charcoal grill. The Syd's dog, called a footlong is fried first in the tilted pan and finished off on the grill. The smaller pushcart dogs are no longer boiled, but fried. These dogs are the tastiest fried dogs you can get. Prepared perfectly, they are always hot and delicious. They also have a unique chili that is described as bolognese. I would have to say that this particular restaurant is the premier hot dog joint in the state. They have a big room in the back with a bar (they don't serve alcohol) but you are free to bring beer. At the Tour Jim had a garbage can filled with beer. Nothing goes better with a quality hot dog.

If enough people decide to show up, I can ask Jim to reserve part of the back room for us.

John the hot dog guy

I'll be there between 12 and 1 as well. Let me know if it will be closer to 12 or 1. I'll give you my cell phone #. I would also like to invite anyone who enjoys a quality hot dog (and beer) to meet us. The menu at this Jimmy Buff's location is not limited to hot dogs. You can get burgers, cheesesteaks, shrimp, fish and chips, homemade soups, and other things if you wish, but they specialize in hot dogs.

You have a choice of Italian style, the delicious natural casing footlong (Syd's dog), a smaller 8 to a lb Best's beef dog that comes sauteed in oil in the tilted pan and is the best fried dog I've had, or the long 1/4 lb Schickhaus pork and beef dog that is popular at many Jersey Shore locations, most notably Max's. This dog, although a hefty quarter pounder, is long lengthwise rather than short and fat. I prefer this size for a quarter pounder rather than the too thick dog that many of you might be familiar with that is produced by Best and called the "Don's dog" after the popular Don's restaurant in Livingston. The Schickhaus dog is prepared on a griddle like Max's, but finished off on a charcoal grill. Excellent.

As I mentioned, this place was popular on the Jersey Hot Dog Tour in September. A year ago the Munchmobile S.W.A.T. Team reviewed 87 hot dog establishments and rated the top 3 dogs in each of 5 categories (Italian Hot Dog, grilled, fried, "dirty water" or boiled, and chili dog). Unfortunately, we wound up going to Jimmy Buff's West Orange location where only Italian Hot Dogs are served rather than East Hanover, where all of the above mentioned dogs are available. Buff's did place top 3 for their Italian Hot Dog, but I'm sure would have done real well for their other dogs as well as their unique chili. I would have voted them first for grilled dog, first for fried dog, and definitely top 3 for chili.

If you get a dog with chili, the chili is placed in a separate container for you to put on the dog yourself. It is meaty, mild, and with a hint of green pepper. Best described as bolognese style. I like this style of chili as a topping for a good dog. My two other favorite styles of chili are the North Jersey type used at Texas Weiner joints with nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon (Pappy's Diner in Totowa stands out), and on occasion a hot, spicy chili like Father & Son in Linden or Hiram's in Fort Lee.

If anyone is interested in going, please post so I can get an idea of how many will show up. This way I can try and reserve a place for us.

John the hot dog guy