• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winterlicious

Freckles

Have you made any reservations?  Which menus interest you the most?  Once you've dined, please post your impressions.  Generally, this is a thread for All Things Winterlicious!

Going to Vertical tomorrow and Canoe on Saturday night. A few others next week. Will let you know how things go. Any idea why North 44 and Bymark opted out. Pretty weak if you ask me.

officially left egullet....

How is Winterlicious percieved in Toronto? Here in Vancouver we have Dine Out which runs from January 19th to February 4th. It has mixed reviews from some who think it is a cattle call and stay away from it and others who embrace it and try as many restaurants as possible. I am just wondering what the overall consensus is and would like to compare it to what we are doing on the West Coast.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

How is Winterlicious percieved in Toronto? Here in Vancouver we have Dine Out which runs from January 19th to February 4th. It has mixed reviews from some who think it is a cattle call and stay away from it and others who embrace it and try as many restaurants as possible. I am just wondering what the overall consensus is and would like to compare it to what we are doing on the West Coast.

Not aware of any issues with it being a cattle call here. Perhaps the only one close that advises you of a time window of 2 hours is Canoe but that is more than enough time (and given the good deal there and the fact that the place is outstanding I am not too fussed, they even now have BYOW). Even when Bymark was part of the show there was no issue with timing or feeling as though you are rushed. I think that Toronto has been doing this for a few more years than Vancouver (both based on NYC restaurant week) but I could be wrong. Toronto has many more restaurants than do participate, although from what I can gather, all of the top places in Vancouver participate which may make them busier.

Some places at 20 bucks for dinner is even a better steal than those at 35. Restaurants are on average a little more than those in Vancouver (the PST on the food here kills you also).

I go to about 3 or 4 places each year (the two times of the year they have it Summer and Winter) and add a few newbies each time. I also get to dine out lots in any event so it's nice to go back to places I am very fond of....like Canoe at a more reasonable price.

I plan to attend Vertical, Canoe, Biff's and Epic this year (I live in the centre and really do not take the subway or cabs too much as my feet are the power to get around that I like).... perhaps Beer Bistro on the day the leafs are playing next week.

officially left egullet....

I don't go any more.

It doesn't show places at anywhere their real style and I have been disappointed at over half a dozen places. A couple (e.g. Lai wah heen) which I usually like were disastrous.

I've also given up going, during Winterlicious and Summerlicious, to places I normally frequent, as their service plummets and so does the food. Even ordering off-licious menu doesn't help.

In addition to the participating restaurants of Winterlicious, there's a bunch of other Winter City festival (or whatever it's called) food-related stuff happenning.

Read more here: http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/wintercity/cooking.htm

and here: http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/wintercity/culinary.htm

I wouldn't mind hearing Gurth Pretty (author of the new Canadian Artisinal Cheeses - or sonething along those lines) tell me about cheese. I think the stuff in the first link is free; prices for the cooking demos in the second link are mentioned there.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

the consensus really is that there is none. I know people who are hugely in favour -- I hadn't heard _30_ reservations before -- but many will spend a day dialling to get some of the big names. If you have an American Express you can start reserving 2 days earlier, and I know some who use a friend's card to do just that. I also know plenty of people (myself included) who avoid it at all costs.

there are certainly enough in the first camp that it does very well. From what I understand, many restaurants are booked solid the whole time.

I have reservations for Flow on the 9th (they're extending their Winterlicious menu through February) and am really looking forward to it.

My dilemma is for next weekend: I have the options of Biff's, Courthouse Market Grille, or Tutti Matti. I've not been to any of them - does anyone have any recommendations?

**Melanie**

I've had great experience with it (and some not so great). It is probably not the best way to judge a restaurant's true colours and flare, and there have been years where laziness and a busy schedule resulted me in not making ANY bookings, and other times with different groups of friends interested I have attended more than I actually care to, but I see it was more of a chance for groups to get together and dine out. I go with a grain of salt and I am not expecting world-class service world-class food at $35 price. I am pleasant surprised and delighted when it happens, which it has.

Edited by stephietoronto (log)
Bios Fitness trainer