• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta

Brad S

After reading RPerlows thread about raw tomato sauce I got thinking about all the different ways i've prepared and eaten different pastas.

When I want a quick and simple dish I cook caviteli and serve it with sauteed broccoli raab,hot pepper flakes and slivered garlic.

Simple but good with a loaf of bread and a bottle of vino.

What are some of your favorite ways to prepare pasta?

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Rigatoni (or Penne) tossed in a sauce made with sauteed eggplant, slivered garlic, chopped canned roma tomatoes. right before serving I toss in fresh basil and cubed fresh mozzarella (the slightly melted mozz is divine with the eggplant and pasta).

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I like fussili. I usually have onion and garlic around. Saute in evoo, toss in a can of chopped clams (they're good enough) and a handfull of frozen peas. If I have stock or an open bottle of wine, I toss some in.

my all time favorite is penne with sauteed juiliened strips of spam cooked in a little evo. pour the spam and oil over noodles, dust with parmesan and GENEROUS amounts of black pepper. horribly inauthentic, but I LOVE spam.

mike

my all time favorite is penne with sauteed juiliened strips of spam cooked in a little evo.  pour the spam and oil over noodles, dust with parmesan and GENEROUS amounts of black pepper.  horribly inauthentic, but I LOVE spam.

mike

Mike -

You are a man of uncommon courage to make such a post. I suggest you immediately turn your back and protect your soft underbelly.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Mike, you're a dead man. :angry:

Poke. Poke. Poke.

No, really? :unsure:

Hm.

I love ziti. I often make a tomato sauce (sofritto, garlic, anchovy) with pancetta, liver sausage meat, hot Italian sausage meat, some fresh herbs, bread crumbs. Although I make it for twenty or more, I make waaaay too much so that day after next I can turn it into baked pasticchio with home-made bread crumbs and cold ricotta.

Which is my favouritest favourite way of eating pasta. Not my favourite to cook, but to eat.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I do something similar to CC's dish but use orrechietti, and sometimes add crumbled Italian sausage as well. It works pretty well with any sturdy, shaped pasta.

When I need something REALLY fast: cooked pasta shapes (also anything sturdy) plus a can of white beans (rinsed), a can of tuna (with the olive oil), and a can of diced tomatoes with their juice -- and a little chopped preserved lemon, roast garlic puree, and chopped parsley.

The only problem is which wine to serve: I prefer a light red, but Paul thinks white. Who cares? (I know that's treason to the wine mavens here; sorry. :smile: )

In any case, I never met a pasta I didn't like, and adore just about all of them. My triumph, though, was fettucine with a lamb ragu (I chickened out and didn't make the noodles myself, but next time I will!)

Edit: Mike, by any chance are you from Hawaii??

This one may sound crazy but it is fantastic when you can get your paws on some white truffles,

green taglioni with chicken livers,grappa and white truffles :unsure: I know, I know.strange but to good.

I take some artisanal grappa and infuse it with sliced white truffles. You can sub truffle oil if you need to.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

I love ziti. I often make a tomato sauce (sofritto, garlic, anchovy) with pancetta, liver sausage meat, hot Italian sausage meat, some fresh herbs, bread crumbs. Although I make it for twenty or more, I make waaaay too much so that day after next I can turn it into baked pasticchio with home-made bread crumbs and cold ricotta.

Which is my favouritest favourite way of eating pasta. Not my favourite to cook, but to eat.

I like Ziti pasticchio too! Especially, the Sicillian sardine and fennel version, Yum!

Mike, you're a dead man. :angry:

Poke. Poke. Poke.

No, really? :unsure:

Hm.

I may be a dead man very soon... I love a good Ziti. :biggrin:

Jinmyo would you have a recipe for a vegetarian?

ah pasta -- I could eat it forever it weren't for my waistline....

penne with uncooked tomato sauce

penne or penne rigati with a pureed vegetable sauce (take any seasonal vegetables and either roast or saute them in EVOO; add salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs to taste, then puree with a hand blender or a food processor, adding additional EVOO until you get a creamy, slightly chunky vegetable sauce. Good with fried breadcrumbs and additional chopped herbs or a generous shake of black pepper)

spaghetti or linguini with any of the following sauces:

lemon zest, capers, Italian tuna, herbs, EVOO and lemon juice

ricotta and caviar

EVOO, red pepper flakes, garlic, chopped herbs and fried breadcrumbs

EVOO, cracked black pepper, garlic and chopped Italian parsley

penne with uncooked/cooked puttanesca sauce

pici (sort of like thick spaghetti) with chopped sauteed chicken livers, sweet peppers and EVOO

orrechiette or penne rigati with bolognese sauce

spaghettini with tomato, sardines, anchovies, onions and garlic

tagliatelle or other pasta with pan juices from roasted lamb, and caramelized onions and peppers.

there's more, but that's enough for now. :smile:

SA

Suvir: I'm not a vegetarian, but...one of my all-time favorites is penne with spinach that's been sauteed in olive oil (EVOO, I believe, is the abbreviation in these parts) with garlic and/or shallot, plus mushrooms. (Quantities are at whim, according to level of hunger and/or number of guests to feed!) Sometimes I let the spinach/garlic poach a bit in broth or broth-and-wine mixed, before I add the mushrooms. I add shredded Parmesan to taste (not a option, of course, for folks who don't do dairy) and toss the entire assembly a bit before plating. A nubbin of butter at the end adds richness, if you can and if you like.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Suvir: I'm not a vegetarian, but...one of my all-time favorites is penne with spinach that's been sauteed in olive oil (EVOO, I believe, is the abbreviation in these parts) with garlic and/or shallot, plus mushrooms.  (Quantities are at whim, according to level of hunger and/or number of guests to feed!)  Sometimes I let the spinach/garlic poach a bit in broth or broth-and-wine mixed, before I add the mushrooms.  I add shredded Parmesan to taste (not a option, of course, for folks who don't do dairy) and toss the entire assembly a bit before plating.  A nubbin of butter at the end adds richness, if you can and if you like.

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds great. I love penne... I love making it with vegetables. My favorite way of eating it. And with some aged cheese.

I will try making your recipe sometime soon. Thanks!

My favorite quick and easy pasta meal is to add some butter or olive oil and a couple of beaten eggs to cooked pasta that's still pretty wet. Stir it around until the pasta is well coated adding more pasta cooking water if it's too dry. Add some parmesan too if you want.

Lately I've been making "tomato confit" sauce: roast halved tomatoes in a pan with evoo covering the bottom at 350 for 90 minutes or so until the tomatoes are caremelized on top.

Jinmyo would you have a recipe for a vegetarian?

Many. But one easy thing to do would be to use some sweet peas.

This would make a complete protein with the pasta which is so essential in any vegetarian cooking.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ok, maybe this is weird, but very simple. Spagettini, tossed with butter, garlic, parmesan and sour cream.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So not a single vote for the greatest of all pasta condiments?

Pesto, that is.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

So not a single vote for the greatest of all pasta condiments?

Pesto, that is.

How did it get overlooked? :rolleyes:

The Pesto at Ino's on Bedford Street in NYC is my favorite. They make it really well.

Here I thought I made the best Pesto... but after tasting theirs, now I enjoy it at Ino's.

Ok, maybe this is weird, but very simple.  Spagettini, tossed with butter, garlic, parmesan and sour cream.

My mother used to make lasagna often (she still does, but I'm usually not there) and after the unblemished noodles were extracted for the dish she would take the still-hot broken noodles, slice them up, and mix them with cream cheese. One of my all time favorite snacks. I haven't had it in years. Must try and see if it holds up to the nostalgia.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)