• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Philadelphia Tasters' Club

Vadouvan

So I was thinking people, while I am all about free speech on E-gullet, I feel some of these discussions are exceeding thier life spans with not even a mirage of a conclusion on the horizon.

All fine and good, but wouldnt it be nice if we all could agree or even disagree on something every now and then ?

Here is what we are going to do about it, wouldnt it be fun and informative to actually try to figure out on some pseudo sceintific basis the quality and flavor differences of particular locally accessible products and other fancy food ingredients. If nothing else it should at least spark some conversation and inspiration for all cooks proficient or otherwise.

So over the next few months, we pick an ingredient, source it (hopefully for free), assemble a panel of interested tasters and see what we come up with.

As to the sourcing of ingredients, I am straight up soliciting businesses who sell the stuff in Philly to donate it for FREE for the tastings as it would be too expensive otherwise. There will be no collusion or shilling. The only benefit aforementioned businesses will get is perhaps increased sales and customer awareness from the results. Seems to me like a fair trade off unless somebody wants to pay for it ?

Thanks to my powers of persuasion, I managed to procure 18 bottles of various Olive oils in the last 36 hrs from various generous entities. I didnt think it would be this easy.

Tastees already or soon will know themselves.

Remember that Bottarga question ?

First tasting scheduled for next week.

Tasting 101 : OLIVE OIL.

Other fun topics to follow.

Stay Tuned.

It's a bit trickier than I thought Biggie.

In just my preliminary goofing around I have decided there should be no bread involved.

Currently I am trying to see if high quality sterile disposable pipettes affect the flavor of olive oil.

That may streamline the process.

Also I am looking for a vessel that communicates the aroma well.

I think I just found the perfect thing.

This is going to be fun.

I would think a decent white wine glass would accomplish this well enough. Maybe not working for side by side comparisons of 18 oils though. Too many glasses on the table!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I would think a decent white wine glass would accomplish this well enough.  Maybe not working for side by side comparisons of 18 oils though.  Too many glasses on the table!

Not to mention washing the !@#$ things-- unless they're dishwasher safe and it's big enough to hold them. I know from classes at the RTM what a PITA it is washing just 1-2 dozen wine glasses!

Oh, and I forgot-- I'd be interested in such a tasting......

Edited by JanMcBaker (log)
"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

as dagordon proposed, round II could be steaks (which would involve tasters chipping in, since I doubt you could source from lobel's for free.)

Indeed, and I wouldn't rule out lobel's donating a steak, it couldn't hurt to ask... with V at the helm the steak tasting would be much more professional.

as dagordon proposed, round II could be steaks (which would involve tasters chipping in, since I doubt you could source from lobel's for free.)

Indeed, and I wouldn't rule out lobel's donating a steak, it couldn't hurt to ask... with V at the helm the steak tasting would be much more professional.

That would be awesome. I'm just sayin' -- I'm certainly willing to pay for this kind of experiment.

I've already indicated my interest in the steak over on the thread that probably sparked this one.

I'd also be interested in the chicken.

So: The distance from here to a Philly-specific version of Cook's Illustrated is...?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

That would be awesome. I'm just sayin' -- I'm certainly willing to pay for this kind of experiment.

Ditto for me, about contributing to the costs. I love being able to taste an assortment of a given foodstuff side by side. It's much easier to see the differences when you can taste things one after the other, as opposed to relying on your memory over time of various items.

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Vadouvan: commendable idea.

Have you ever done an olive tasting before? Couple things: use a small cup that you can swirl and gently warm in your hands. Use raw apples to cleanse the palate between tastes. Are you familiar with the categories of flawed olive oil?

Olive oil tasting benefits from some air sucking noises.

Knowing your abilities, this is probably superfluous, but let me know if you want some info.

Let me also add that if chipping in is required, I'll gladly chip in. I have no gadgets to contribute to the effort, though. :sad:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Cool idea V -- when is the NY version?

:biggrin:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Vadouvan: commendable idea.

Have you ever done an olive tasting before? Couple things: use a small cup that you can swirl and gently warm in your hands. Use raw apples to cleanse the palate between tastes. Are you familiar with the categories of flawed olive oil?

Olive oil tasting benefits from some air sucking noises.

Knowing your abilities, this is probably superfluous, but let me know if you want some info.

Judy I never profess to be an authority on anything so please supply any thoughts you have.

I have been to oil tasting in Italy while on vacations in the past.

Everyone seems to have a slight variation.

The most effective for my palate in trems of ingestion have been similar to wine tastings (sucking sound), but people do taste differently.

Again I have tasted bad olive oil like grades of corked or materized wine.

Again share your thoughts please......

Cool idea V -- when is the NY version?

John how are you, You are the man in NY, it's your gig, everyone I know or cook with in NY is super passionate about thier oils, it would be preaching to the Choir..... :unsure:

Definitely a cool idea! I hope to see the detailed results published in a reputable journal. Or on eGullet; whatever...

Andrew it will be all on e-gullet if I can get Phila-D to bring his Camera.

Here is some pre-tasting reading though this scoring system is super subjective.

I plan on a much simpler, fun exercise.

http://www.aromadictionary.com/oliveoiltasting.html

By the way, after eating apples in between tasting, I continue to taste apples, I am not sure if they are the best palate cleansers.

So far room temp seltzer water seems to work best....

Giovanni seems to like regular wineglasses but I disagree about the apples.

http://www.justhungry.com/2006/10/an_educa..._olive_oil.html

Interestingly apples chased with seltzer water seems to work very well but apples alone, no bueno.

Granny smith by the way.

Apple sorbet, perhaps? The cold liquid texture as well as the acidity of the apples might cleanse the palate more effectively.

Just a thought...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol