• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caviar maker like the one from chef rubber

aidensnd2

I'm in somewhat desperate need of a caviar maker like the one available from Chef Rubber. I placed an order for 1 from them a couple of weeks ago but they are backordered until early Feb. at the soonest. Does anyone know of another source for it or for something similar? I'm thinking there has to be a similar product in the medical field but so far I haven't had any luck tracking one down. Ay help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

I just found this.

Yeah I found the product number in a previous post and did a search for it. I just ordered one from here: Caviar

I had found it for as low as $28 at one place but they wanted another $20 or so for shipping. This place seemed to have the easiest ordering and n minimum order amount.

I use a 12 channel multi-tip pippettor which can generally be bought for ~$100 (the one I use is a 50-1000ul version):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Acura-853-Socorex-50-2...VQQcmdZViewItem

You can trim the disposible tips to vary the opening diameter to control the size of the droplet. You then draw-up the maximum volume the pippetor holds and then as you slow expell the liquid you get mutil rounds of droplets from a single fill. Depending on size, viscosity of solution, etc, I get up to 10 droplet sets from a singl fill (X12=120 caviars). I do 1-3 fills per cooking batch (so they are generally uniform in texture) so in no time can do large amounts.

Other tricks are using laboratory glassware (like flask). You can then use either a microwave or laboratory hotplate magnetic stirrer to melt the alginate. When possible, I make up a 2-5x alginate solution as a stock (keeping it warm on a magnetic stirrer) and then dilute it with my flavoring liquid before dropping into the cacl.

Out of curiosity for this gadget, i saw decoding by Ferran Adria making caviar with a similiar gadget like the caviar machine and the long spaghetti another gadget makes me puzzled. I wonder how is the process like and do you have a recipe to follow?

Thanks for enlighting and sharing?

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "