• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jezebel Sauce

lgault

Mentioned in the dinner thread I'm doing a pork adobo....think a Jezebel sauce mixed into the jus and put on the pulled pork in a roll would work?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 4/12/2019 at 2:40 PM, suzilightning said:

Mentioned in the dinner thread I'm doing a pork adobo....think a Jezebel sauce mixed into the jus and put on the pulled pork in a roll would work?

Depends on the seasoning in the adobo, I'm thinking. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

31 minutes ago, kayb said:

Depends on the seasoning in the adobo, I'm thinking. 

it was soy sauce, white vinegar, bay leaf, garlic, salt and a scooch of Worstershire……….

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

19 hours ago, suzilightning said:

it was soy sauce, white vinegar, bay leaf, garlic, salt and a scooch of Worstershire……….

M'mmmmm....maybe. Not sure how the vinegar would play with the Jezebel sauce.

Don't ask. Eat it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, lemniscate said:

In my seemingly never-ending search to use my backyard lemons up (and I am giving them away also at a record pace) I found inspiration for a lemon base Jezebel Sauce.   I drizzled a bit on pasta last night with some olive oil.  wow.  Lively dish. 

I got around to trying this last night. I've never tasted Jezebel Sauce, and I had to make a substitution or two, so I don't know how close it came to the original. Still, it was darned good. I learned a great technique for browning and caramelizing red onions while I was at it. I also learned that simply seasoning chicken thighs with lemon zest and a touch of salt and pepper gives a lovely aroma.

20190428_103959.jpg

20190428_104105.jpg

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I got around to trying this last night. I've never tasted Jezebel Sauce, and I had to make a substitution or two, so I don't know how close it came to the original. Still, it was darned good. I learned a great technique for browning and caramelizing red onions while I was at it. I also learned that simply seasoning chicken thighs with lemon zest and a touch of salt and pepper gives a lovely aroma.

Yup = that is why in mu hood Lawry's Lemon Pepper (as well as the seasoning salt) was a staple. A 60's thing. 

21 minutes ago, heidih said:

Yup = that is why in mu hood Lawry's Lemon Pepper (as well as the seasoning salt) was a staple. A 60's thing. 

I remember that. I always thought it too heavy on the black pepper, but can see why pepper lovers would like it.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I've never tasted Jezebel Sauce, and I had to make a substitution or two

I've never tasted it either and I'm not going to order pineapple preserves to make it but it was mentioned in an earlier post that apricot can be used as well so that's my plan... whenever I get around to doing it. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Y'all are putting onions in Jezebel sauce? Sacrilege! True Jezebel sauce has two ingredients: Preserves and prepared horseradish. Lots of horseradish.

Don't ask. Eat it.

Just now, kayb said:

Y'all are putting onions in Jezebel sauce? Sacrilege! True Jezebel sauce has two ingredients: Preserves and prepared horseradish. Lots of horseradish.

Huh. No mustard either?

Just now, kayb said:

Not in my world.

That certainly makes it simpler. Thanks!

To be truly canonical (as in Arkansas trailer park canonical), it should be served over a block of Philadelphia cream cheese. With Ritz crackers.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

That certainly makes it simpler. Thanks!

Maybe we should have the Jezebel sauce experts have a meeting via private message to see if they can reach a general consensus on what Jezebel sauce is and then get back to us neophytes with the result. :D

• Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My version of the Garden and Gun sauce.  It's a more attractive yellow than this poorly lighted pic.  I used white onions on hand instead of red.   I left this sauce way less sweet than the recipe calls for.  I found it's a good sauce for seafood/pasta.  I use it as a dip for boiled shrimp.  I do not care for traditional tartar sauce, so I use this mix with a bit of mayo as my tartar substitute. 

I've used it on sandwiches as a spread. 

I bet it would make a good vinaigrette base, may try that in the future.

I figured I can add sugar to it to use it as a cream cheese cover sauce described above.  

IMG_7779.jpg

• Like 2