• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jezebel Sauce

lgault

I guess I don't really know much about much when it comes down to it. I've grown up and continue to live in the Mississippi Delta. I always loved church potlucks and dinners on the ground here and one reason was because of Jezebel sauce. All the little church ladies would bring it out to accompany smoked meats or adorn soft cream cheese and a Triscuit. It always struck me as odd that a sauce named after a biblical harlot who was thrown out of a window and consequently eaten by dogs would be so popular at church functions. But it was...

My question? Does anyone out there know the history of Jezebel sauce and it there is a connection between it and Henry Baines sauce?

Thanks y'all!

Edited by lgault (log)

Googling brought up a couple of curious links:

One is to an archived (pay to read) article in the Biloxi, MS Sun-Herald called "On the Trail of Jezebel Sauce" -- the sauce's origin apparently has been traced to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, around Gulfport.

Another is to a paper published by the Society of Bible Literature called "From Queen to Cuisine: Food Imagery in the Jezabel Narrative", which notes, "There is a preoccupation with eating and food in this narrative: the narrative reads like a meal. In fact, it reads like a banquet fit for royalty or, better yet, for Ahab and Jezebel's starving Israel."

It could be that Jezebel's name is invoked to describe the sumptuousness of the sauce.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I just figured it was called Jezebel sauce because it was hot and spicy. The recipe that I have (off the top of my head) has apple jelly, pineapple jelly, mustard powder and horseradish. I'm sure there are many variations. It's very good with baked brie or pork chops.

It's true that most recipes for Jezebel Sauce call for apple jelly, pineapple preserve, dried mustard and horseradish. It is very yummy and that lovely sweet, spicy mix that goes great with a variety of cheeses or smoked meats. It is this sticky link to my childhood and for some reason I just have to know where it originated. I'm going to check out that Biloxi Herald article right now.

But, if y'all find anything or hear anything - Please let me know.

A bit of simple Googling reveals a few quick recipes,

here... here... and here...

They all look really similar in terms of basic ingredients.

This seems kinda out there, but at the same time really intriguing! Hmmm. I might actually have to try to make this. I DO have horseradish sitting around...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

The first I heard of Jezebel Suace was when I received it from a co-worker for Christmas, this is the recipe she gave me, it's too spicy for me so I cut down on the dry mustard:

Jezebel Sauce

1 ( 5 oz) jar horseradish

1 ( 1.12 oz) can dry (ground) mustard

1 ( 18 Oz. ) jar pineapple preserves

1 (18 oz) jar apple jelly

2 T. coarsely ground pepper, or LESS

Mix the horseradish and dry mustard well. Combine with remaining ingredients. Good with pork, ham, over cream cheese. This make 4 cups

Luckylies,

I think of it more as a pepperjelly than a chutney, I think it would go really well w/BBQ.

Edited by lcdm (log)

• 3 years later...

The first I heard of Jezebel Suace was when I received it from a co-worker for Christmas, this is the recipe she gave me, it's too spicy for me so I cut down on the dry mustard:

Jezebel Sauce

1 ( 5 oz) jar horseradish

1 ( 1.12 oz) can dry (ground) mustard

1 ( 18 Oz. ) jar pineapple preserves

1 (18 oz) jar apple jelly

2 T. coarsely ground pepper, or LESS

Mix the horseradish and dry mustard well. Combine with remaining ingredients. Good with pork, ham, over cream cheese. This make 4 cups

Luckylies,

I think of it more as a pepperjelly than a chutney, I think it would go really well w/BBQ.

Made up some Jezebel Sauce today to go with a baked ham I'm having for dinner, and got to wondering about the name and the origins. A quick google brought me back to eG.

I read the post above that said, "So it's like a chutney?"

And as I tasted my finished product, thought that indeed it does have a taste profile similar to some chutneys.

Whatever it is, it's a part of my southern childhood and it's delicious.

Just a quick note - you can make it with either pineapple preserves, or apricot preserves

The other ingredients stay pretty much the same, although in varying proportions, according to preference.

Although the black pepper is optional. Some recipes call for it and some do not.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw the ingredients list was Mostarda di Frutta. A bit of a sideways connection, but there is a similarity: sweet syrupy fruit/preserves with sharp flavours.

This sounds like something I would enjoy. Is the horseradish the sharp jarred one that is mostly horseradish and and acid or?

Right... just pure horseradish jarred in a vinegar base. Not a creamy sauce.

A note - this keeps in your fridge about as long as the horseradish keeps in your fridge - a good long while.

Many cooks think it improves with age.

And don't be stingy with the horseradish or dry mustard. This is a condiment, so it's supposed to be quite bold-flavored.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I've got a recipe that is called "Jezebel piccalilli sauce" and includes a generous portion of Southern Comfort. It's hot, mustardy and fruity and is simmered long enough to dissipate some of the alcohol, but it remains potent.

I found it in a tiny booklet printed by a church auxiliary in Mississippi. (Probably not a Baptist church, or at least not like the one where I grew up.)

I think the title of the book is Southern Spoon Sauces and all the recipes are sauces intended to be served as a condiment, not to cook with. A lot of them are specifically for seafoods.

One has a suggestion that it be used to top grits and shrimp or just the grits!

It also has a great recipe for Cumberland sauce.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I think it is so called, not unlike Diablo dishes, because it is spicy. My grandmother made little cracker dishes with it. Cracker topped with cream cheese and a little jezebel. It was a jelly sort of consistency and not clumpy like a chutney. It was a ladies brunch item along with finger sandwiches, cheese straws and such.

I think it is so called, not unlike Diablo dishes, because it is spicy. My grandmother made little cracker dishes with it. Cracker topped with cream cheese and a little jezebel. It was a jelly sort of consistency and not clumpy like a chutney. It was a ladies brunch item along with finger sandwiches, cheese straws and such.

Maybe not quite as clumpy as some chutneys, but the apricot or pineapple preserves do keep it from being as smooth as jelly.

And after tasting the batch I just made, I do think that the flavor profile is similar to a hot Major Grey chutney.

Although the booklet I have has no copyright notice, I am not posting the recipe on this topic.

I have sent the recipe to Judiu and if anyone else wants it, please ask, PM me or go to my Profile page and click on "E-mail"

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing in the world better than pork loin chops, sliced about a half-inch thick, salted, peppered, fried in a hot-hot-hot iron skillet for about two minutes on a side, and served with Jezebel sauce, scalloped potatos and green beans. It was my Very Favorite Sunday dinner as a kid. And I believe I will go to the grocery and get the ingredients and make some Right Now, as I had not thought about it for ages.

Also, you can use the el cheapo apple jelly and pineapple preserves. They're merely vehicles for carrying the horseradish-and-mustard combo.....

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 8 years later...

As a citrus tender I pretty much use it as the acid in any prep and yes ya cut one or more in half and stick in the roasting pan.  Kind of a joyful freedom to use them with abandon. Currrently have allergy attack walking to mail box as the rains have prompted a citrus super=bloom!

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 8:52 AM, lemniscate said:

In my seemingly never-ending search to use my backyard lemons up (and I am giving them away also at a record pace) I found inspiration for a lemon base Jezebel Sauce.   I drizzled a bit on pasta last night with some olive oil.  wow.  Lively dish. 

Thanks very much for that link! The recipe specifies lemon marmalade. Had you already made that? Did you do something else instead? I think I want to try this before the rest of my hoarded lemons go south.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

All these comments on Jezebel sauce are making me crave it. Putting apple jelly and pineapple preserves on my shopping list. I have cream cheese and crackers. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Thanks very much for that link! The recipe specifies lemon marmalade. Had you already made that? Did you do something else instead? I think I want to try this before the rest of my hoarded lemons go south.

I don't have marmalade, so I used zest, lemon juice and sugar to replicate.  

• Like 1