• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Planning a holiday. Where to go?

taryn

Hi! It's been about three years since my last vacation, it's lonnnng overdue! I'd love some suggestions. There are so many places I'd love to go and I'm having a very hard time deciding.

Top two criteria: Must have delicious food and great beaches.

I will be travelling with my boyfriend

We prefer a backpacking type trip, we don't want to stay in an all inclusive

We are both 24

We are thinking 3-4 weeks should give us adequate time to see a country

We'd like to see a few cities

Budget: we are on one!

Any input is appreciated! I'll wait to see what people post before I say where I'm thinking of going.

Thanks!

Edited by taryn (log)

Thailand was wonderful for us, and cheap! Food and accommodations were great, and yes, beaches!

Great variety of food as you travel from Northern Thailand (Lots of pork and spicy food) down to the South (Lots of fish, nuts and fruit).

We were in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket. Chiang Mai was amazing. (Food, sight seeing and shopping) Phuket was nice, but very commercial/touristy. I would recommend another beachy area like Ko Samet.

Bangkok is great if you like shopping, food and night time activites. (Of all sorts)

Trains & Buses are reasonably cheap, and arranging trips to say Ankor Wat in Cambodia or other places are easily achieved.

Have a good trip!

I second Irishgirl. Thailand has wonderful beaches, great diving/snorkeling and fantastic food. It is easy and cheap to get around, accomodation in all price ranges is readily available. If you want a break from the beach, great trekking is in the north. I think you could have a great experience in 3-4 weeks in Thailand. Did I mention the food? Wow!

chrisamirault: I meant I'm looking for a destination thats known its food among other things. :smile:

Thanks for all the input. Thailand has been recommended by a number of people, maybe its a sign.

Milagai: I haven't thought of India at all! I know its a stereotype (and a bad one at that), but when I think of Goa, I think raves. The photos I looked up are amazing! Thanks!

I'd recommend S.E Asia as a whole. ;) Even though places like singapore and malaysia are next to each other, or vietnam and thailand and malaysia are sandwiched together... the food is all different! The different cultures and lifestyles... :) And airfare from one area to the next isn't too expensive either.

I have a few friends that did backpacking trips that started from Thailand--> Northern part of Malaysia and then making their way down to Singapore and then catching a flight from Singapore to Indonesia to round the trip out. :) The exchange rates make it an awesome way to travel cheap(er?).