• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

E-Cloth

forever_young_ca

I have a new kithen that looks great - ss appliances, granite countertops, glass topped table. However, the practicalities of keeping it looking great was beginning to wear me down. I was tired of fingerprints on the stainless steel and wipe marks on the countertops and glass.

I have recently returned from a holiday in England and on a whim bought a 2-pack "E-Cloth", being very sceptical about the claims, but desparate to try anything. I could not believe the results. With minimal effort everything was shiny and looking like new.

How does it work? I don't know, but the method is simple. The thick cloth is wet with water - no chemicals - and the surface is wiped down. The blue cloth (I think they call it the glass polishing cloth) then wipes the surface dry. It is absolutely amazing. It is easy and leaves no smear marks.

I am so in love with this product I am going to buy a couple of more blue cloths so I can use it to wash windows and other surfaces as well. :biggrin:

I looked up the web site and found that it is a UK product http://www.e-cloth.com/home.asp but a quick google shows that they are available for sale on line in the US. I have to find a Canadian supplier, or order on line.

Does anyone else have experience with this product?

Life is short, eat dessert first

If you find a Canadian supplier, let me know. As much as I love my SS appliances, it is a huge pain keeping them clean!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

forever_young,

Looks like you bought plain ol' microfiber cloths -- they're widely available at warehouse clubs (Costco, etc.), auto parts stores, home stores (Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc.), and so on.

They're great, but don't get sucked into the hype that one brand is better than the other. Buy the cheapest ones you can find for general cleaning, and use the better quality ones for final detail work and polishing.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I second the comments above. These E-Cloths are the same microfiber cloths sold by many different vendors. I use microfiber cloths for cleaning all the time and am very pleased with their performance.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I have used microfibre cloths before, with mixed results on ss and granite. This product may be similar but the results are far superior.

I have asked my local kitchen store about them and they are going to get a shipment in.

My housekeeper vowed that she would never buy ss appliances because of her experience in trying to keep them clean. After using these cloths she is sold and is now considering a ss fridge.

They may be microfibre based, but again, they do a far better job than the previous microfibre cloths I had tried.

Life is short, eat dessert first

Interesting. There are different microfiber cloths made with different yarn/fiber configurations for things such as polishing, dusting, glass, and general cleaning. One source to find microfiber cloths for various purposes is in the auto section of your local Target in the USA. They have microfiber cloths for polishing, glass cleaning and scrubbing.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I've bought several of the terry-type cloths at a flea market in the last couple of years; last time I also purchased the mop-sized plastic thing which has a flat, round-cornered rectangle which swivels on the handle. You stretch the cloth (a few inches larger than the original by-hand wipers) tightly over the flat part, then poke the corners of the cloth neatly into little pie-wedge-cut circles, one in each corner of the mop.

They are just Great for washing the car (with soap) and scrubbing outsides of windows with water only. I suppose I COULD use it inside, because it doesn't drip, but I like the clear Windex shine. When this one has seen enough use, I'll probably use it to wipe down the siding with a weak Clorox mixture in Spring.

And Chris buys the "blue" cloths (though a couple of ours are a pale golden yellow) at his favorite camera store. These are principally for cleaning computer screens in his work, for all our camera lenses, and for cleaning our glasses. They are all still working perfectly---I throw them in the washer with cottons, but NEVER into the dryer with a dryer sheet. That would cause streaking of any surface the cloth is rubbed on.

My only complaint is that the micro-fibers are TOO micro---the strands seem finer than frog-hair, and have a habit of catching unpleasantly on my finger-skin.

My only complaint is that the micro-fibers are TOO micro---the strands seem finer than frog-hair, and have a habit of catching unpleasantly on my finger-skin.

I hate that feeling of the microfibers snagging my hand and fingers. I got a pack of the microfiber towels for car and general use. Tried it on my SS appliances with poor results. The only thing that makes my SS look great is oiled cloths. The ones you buy for SS or you can make your own.