• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

djon djon mushrooms?

i have a dear student who grew up in haiti, and is pining for a rice and mushroom dish she loved. the dish relies on tiny black mushrooms, called djon djon, and i have exhausted my resources trying to locate some for her....tried the only haitian restaurant around, hoping the chef could help source them, but no....would even try the bouillion cube (maggi?) that seems to be used as a sub, but can't find that either....any and all ideas gratefully appreciated--i'd really love to come through for her. fresh seems impossible, but can dried be that difficult to get? (maybe...) thanks!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 3 weeks later...
They can be purchased on the street in Brooklyn (Flatbush) according to what I've read. Have you done an internet search? I would contact people like this: http://www.kreyolkitchen.com/ and maybe they will sell you some. good luck!

yes, i have done a search, and saw the entry you mention regarding the mushrooms being available on the street in brooklyn. unfortunately, the post appears to be at least 10 years old. thanks for the kreyol kitchen link--i have emailed them to see if they can help.

appreciate the help!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook