• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steuben's (Denver)

I've always enjoyed Vesta.. a solid restaurant. Now with Steuben's, I had to try the all american/diner/gut truck/whatever goes concept. It works like a charm.

Went in for the first night and the first thing I noticed was the color combination, decor, and the flow of the restaurant. It's very clean and comfortable but still diner-ish. There's just so much variety that everyone in your party should find something that they like. For me I just eat as much as I can... :laugh:

Gravy Fries- Get the green chili on top...it's not too spicy but has the perfect acidity to match with the gravy, melted mozzerella cheese, and the house made french fries.

MeatLoaf- Tuesday's Special, So tender and juice that it just falls apart with the touch of a fork. A really nice sweet and caramelized tomato glaze rests on top of the large chunk of the "fluffy" meat loaf which is propped on top of a nice mound of mashed potatoes and topped with brown gravy. This was truely amazing.

Mac N Cheese- This was okay, I don't reccomend it, Im sure there were other better things to get than this. The sauce was kind of runny, I could have used a little more bread crumbs (a la gratinee).

Fried Corn- Tasty, kind of out of season but I bet this will be nice in the summer.

Monte Cristo- Very sexy. Melted cheese, savory ham, sweet powder sugar and jelly, with a light crispy crust.

This is a must "weekly routine" and the Rootbeer was probably the best commercially made soda I've ever had.

I've heard of the bad reviews..I just didn't see anything that was worth bashing about.

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

• 3 months later...

Am I the only one that eats here??

Burgers are amazing..The best crispy buttered buns I have ever had.

and you can get them durring happy hour for only $4. Domestic Beers are also a dollar off.

Gravy Fries are still top notch. Get the Green Chili on top.

Too much mayo in the deviled eggs though (they weren't filled all the way either) and the service was terrible this time around. The guy shows up to our table 20 minutes after we sat down and the only reason he did was because I made a complaint with one of the hostess(or manager). The guy had an attitude with us when we wanted to make our order..as if we were stupid or something. We then get a bill right after the appetizers and the burgers without any question of dessert. I really wanted a shake or a float to go but I guess I wasn't getting one. The bussers do a great though.

An earlier visit about two weeks ago, the mac n cheese was perfect and the Cheese Steak was awesome as well. Although I don't know if the price was worth it. You can get cheaper at other Cheese Steak Places.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Mac N Cheese- This was okay, I don't reccomend it, Im sure there were other better things to get than this. The sauce was kind of runny, I could have used a little more bread crumbs (a la gratinee).

An earlier visit about two weeks ago, the mac n cheese was perfect and the Cheese Steak was awesome as well.

What made you change your mind?

As to whether or not you're the only one who eats there, I find it hard to go out to dinner for "diner" food. If I'm eating greasy pub food, I'm stumbling up to the T-bird (so I can stumble home! :laugh: )--somehow I'm not that adventurous when I'm in that mindset.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

An earlier visit about two weeks ago, the mac n cheese was perfect and the Cheese Steak was awesome as well.

What made you change your mind?

As to whether or not you're the only one who eats there, I find it hard to go out to dinner for "diner" food. If I'm eating greasy pub food, I'm stumbling up to the T-bird (so I can stumble home! :laugh: )--somehow I'm not that adventurous when I'm in that mindset.

The 2nd time around the sauce was a little bit thicker, making it perfect!

well if you're ever stumbling around 17th :raz: ...you should stumble into Steubens ..Happy Hour starts again at 10 I think?