• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riveted handles on cookware

JAZ

I know this is an ancient topic, but I was just reading through it and was surprised I didn't see anyone point out that many of these cookwares are clad which probably provides some complications for both welding and strength (you're welding to the outer layer of the clad, and you have to worry about the outer ply pulling off, etc.).  That said, I'm unreasonably annoyed by rivets, especially on non-stick.

5 hours ago, JohnN said:

I know this is an ancient topic, but I was just reading through it and was surprised I didn't see anyone point out that many of these cookwares are clad which probably provides some complications for both welding and strength (you're welding to the outer layer of the clad, and you have to worry about the outer ply pulling off, etc.).  That said, I'm unreasonably annoyed by rivets, especially on non-stick.

You are correct that welding clad is quite technical.  However, it is not layer separation that is the issue.  Weld overpenetration has caused corrosion beneath the weld, and that corrosion can cause catastrophic failure of the welds--obviously a safety issue.  As is under-penetration.  When the layer being welded to is <0.5mm thick, the process needs to be very precisely controlled, probably something only industrial robotics can do dependably.

There have been cookware recalls because of this problem set, including a very costly one for the world's largest producer.  The owner of that company has vowed never to offer welded handles again.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, boilsover said:

There have been cookware recalls because of this problem set, including a very costly one for the world's largest producer.  The owner of that company has vowed never to offer welded handles again.

Which would be who?

• Like 1

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Rivets are a P.I.T A.

But they are strong.

On stainless, I use 'Bar Keepers Friend' and  a denture brush—not a real big deal.

On 'seasoned' stuff, I don't worry much about them beyond a basic scrubbing if necessary.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

There are differences between spot welds, tig, mig, arc welding and brazing or silver soldering. I have done all of them except spot welding.  In many of those procedures you're adding metal, but not spot welding. And brazing or welding quality bicycles is an art form, or a artisan craft at least. Even a good plumber has to have some skill soldering copper pipe and knowing about galvanic corrosion with dissimilar materials like galvanized iron and copper. Including clean joints and proper fluxes. 

I have seen many spot welds fail. Demeyere spot welds their Atlantis straight sided pans. I can see the (4) spot welds. I have to trust that those Belgians know what they are doing.  But already here, someone has provided an example of a failure. They (Demeyere) may braze their cladded handles, I don't know, but it seems possible.  I've not taken notice.  You'll notice that Fizzler uses many spot welds on their handles, a safer bet if less elegant.  

• Like 1

Spot welding can work well if it's done right.

A LOT of spot welding work occurred in this county (Chemung [sheh-mung] County, NY) years ago when MANY  fire engines (trucks), fire aerials, and emergency rigs such as ambulance and rescue vehicles were being built by both American LaFrance and Ward LaFrance.

Obviously NOT the type of vehicle one would want to see fall apart—if any!

FWIW,

A spot welding demonstration....

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Some pans are thin metal! :)

The thicker the metal, the more the 'juice!'

I am pretty much weld agnostic but I have had welds fail on cookware.  Never had a rivet fall out though.  I do not suggest screws however.  I once had a screw in my spinach in a restaurant.  Iron and all that.

• Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I am pretty much weld agnostic but I have had welds fail on cookware.  Never had a rivet fall out though.  I do not suggest screws however.  I once had a screw in my spinach in a restaurant.  Iron and all that.

I've never had rivets actually fall out, but I've had the rivets get loose enough to make a couple of pots and pans more or less unusable. That's purely on the cheapest and lowest-end of cookware, of course, back in my impecunious bachelor days.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning