• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marmite

Anyone tried marmite with peanut butter? My housemate quite fancies it, but much as I like the two componants *separately*, I haven't quite got up the nerve to sample the combination.

I've tried a form of this, though only with Vegemite and NZ Marmite. It's ... hmm ... interesting.

I think a Canadian upbringing has made me feel that peanut butter only pairs well with sweet things, like jam or honey. Admittedly, I've only done the marmite-pb combo with the unsweetened pb they have here though - I wonder what it would be like with good ol' Kraft?

Any kind eGulleteer who isn't feeling like an eProfiteer and would, if I wired some money via PayPal or something, buy me a couple jars and ship them by whatever is the lowest-cost method?

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but eBay is looking too pricey right now. Or, I can seek a source in the U.S. which I doubt will arise.

Chappie, The English Tea Store has it, about $6 a 4oz jar.

WWW.Englishteastore.com

Ted

Anyone tried marmite with peanut butter? My housemate quite fancies it, but much as I like the two componants *separately*, I haven't quite got up the nerve to sample the combination.

I've tried a form of this, though only with Vegemite and NZ Marmite. It's ... hmm ... interesting.

I think a Canadian upbringing has made me feel that peanut butter only pairs well with sweet things, like jam or honey. Admittedly, I've only done the marmite-pb combo with the unsweetened pb they have here though - I wonder what it would be like with good ol' Kraft?

I got around to trying this a few days ago, and you know what? It's not bad. 'Interesting' is right - it's like a sort of savoury, salty peanut butter. I might actually eat this again (and will probably have to apologize to my housemate for mocking his toast topping of choice)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Chappie, The English Tea Store has it, about $6 a 4oz jar.

WWW.Englishteastore.com

Ted

Yeah, I see where they have regular Marmite, but I can already buy that here. I was talking about the Guinness variety.

• 2 weeks later...
Marmite crabs sounds v. interesting

Interestingly, Marmite is also an old army remedy for crabs.

Hahaha... awesome!

lol... can't say i'll look forward to the opportunity to try that.

I've lived between Aus and the UK and i have to say i like both vegemite and marmite. I've never actually tried Bovril, but last time i had a look (pre-ban-lift) the ingredients were exactly the same as marmite. I'll have to try it now its gone back to having cow in it.

Anyone actually drink the stuff? That's something i find less appealing.

Edited by le petit boucher (log)

www.naturalfarms.co.uk ~ our wholesale butchery

www.sussexfarms.blogspot.com ~ our pie kitchen

Marmite crabs sounds v. interesting

Interestingly, Marmite is also an old army remedy for crabs.

Hahaha... awesome!

lol... can't say i'll look forward to the opportunity to try that.

I've lived between Aus and the UK and i have to say i like both vegemite and marmite. I've never actually tried Bovril, but last time i had a look (pre-ban-lift) the ingredients were exactly the same as marmite. I'll have to try it now its gone back to having cow in it.

Anyone actually drink the stuff? That's something i find less appealing.

I drink it every winter whilst sitting in the freezing cold terraces of Wigan Athletic. Nothing warms you up better from toe to head than a steaming cup of bovril, absolutely magical.

• 3 years later...

I just tried this for the first time yesterday morning and now...I crave the taste! Unfortunately for my new craving, I am on a low carb diet. How can I enjoy this without the toast? (I had just dipped my finger in the cool little jar and licked it clean.) Yum! I need ideas and help with this guys.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Well Brenda you came up with the best way of enjoying it without toast yourself ;) For me the best way to have it is to mix it with some butter and spread it thick on toast.

We have none in, having read this post my pavlovian response involved emptying my cupboards to see if we had any. I will have some today. I will.

So some people think Vegemite is not as strong as Marmite? That's interesting...I got a pot of British Marmite here in Tokyo last year, and the stuff horrified me! It's not only sweeter and stickier than what I'm used to, it seems translucent and thinned out with some form of malt, though no such thing appears in the ingredients list. I left it for the kids to finish off, but they seem to have more sense than I gave them credit for.

Husband won't touch it...he slathered it on his toast several DECADES ago, thinking it was chocolate spread, and has never recovered from the shock :biggrin: .

• 4 weeks later...

So some people think Vegemite is not as strong as Marmite? That's interesting...I got a pot of British Marmite here in Tokyo last year, and the stuff horrified me! It's not only sweeter and stickier than what I'm used to, it seems translucent and thinned out with some form of malt, though no such thing appears in the ingredients list. I left it for the kids to finish off, but they seem to have more sense than I gave them credit for.

Husband won't touch it...he slathered it on his toast several DECADES ago, thinking it was chocolate spread, and has never recovered from the shock :biggrin: .

Helen,

The Marmite you get out east is made by Sanitarium and is not the same as the Marmite made in the UK (or South Africa). It has a increased amount of sugar and caramel added. It's foul stuff, IMO; and not a patch on the original

Cheers,

Nayan

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter