• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marmite

If you know anyone who crosses the pond, you might ask them to bring you a 500g jar or two. Its harder to get your finger into it to clean out the bottom, but there's a luxury in looking at that large amount of yum all in one place.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

A girl who works with my wife is honeymooning in Australia in a few months, and I'm going to have her bring me back a big jar of Vegemite so that I can have an official VegeMarmOff taste challenge.

My mum always adds a teaspoon of marmite when she's making mince and, as a result, so do I. It adds a certain depth of flavour to it all without the slightly synthetic taste you can get from stock cubes.

PS

Edinburgh

After being extremely sceptical about the whole concept of Marmite, I finally tried it for the first time last March (after living in the UK for 5 years). Well, I'm hooked. I always have 2 jars in my cupboard...1 which is open, and one spare. I use the squeezy version (less hassle, and don't have to worry about scooping out the dregs at the bottom).

WHen I first tasted it, I had the gustatory version of deja vu (deja goute?). I thought about it for a bit, and realized that I probably really liked it because it had some similar flavours to dwenjang (I'm Korean). For those who don't know, dwenjang is Korean fermented bean paste...a kind of crude miso. It isn't surprising as both have the salty, fermented thing going on. I haven't gone much further than marmite and butter on hot toast, and marmite grilled cheese sandwiches (even my French husband is a fan), but would be curious to try. Maybe I'll try to substitute it for dwenjang in a recipe and see how it goes. If my mother only knew....

Remember the great fuss when marmite abandoned the Marmite shape jars and went straight sided? The argument was that this made it easier to get every last bit out. This ignored the fact that fiddling about with a plastic spoon and knowing that the jar was never really 'empty' was part of the charm. They went back to the old shape soon after.

I miss the tin lids though, I expect some jobsworth at the EU deemed them a health hazard.

The squeezy version is an offence to God

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

Great news. My local natural-foods store has restocked their supply (I had bought the last one a few weeks back), with a row of some 12-15 jars on the shelf. I only picked up one today, but I might grab a backup next time, just in case.

Thinking of making a Marmitey beef and Guinness stew soon.

I'm off to KL in a couple of weeks. Where is a good spot to try these marmite crabs then?

-- Harry

Oops, almost missed this.

You'll be able to find marmite crabs in most (if not all) chinese seafood restaurants. All good. However, if your itinerary includes an island stop, that can't be beat. But don't stop at one style, try them all...black pepper, sweet & sour (what is known to some as chilli crabs), thick soya sauce, cheese and salted egg, steamed with garlic, the list is endless.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading about the new limited-edition Guinness Marmite, and wondering if any of you on the other side have sampled it. If so, how does it compare?

I'd love to track down a jar here, but I don't think it will be possible. Any help?

Just seen this and tried the Guinness Marmite at the weekend. I did not realise it was so rare until I was told it should not have been opened but hey ho. My dad got it in the local Tesco - Stratford Upon Avon.

It was more bitter than normal marmite, otrherwise, not much difference. I would say more of an adult version.

At work so need to go so no more details - sorry.

Any kind eGulleteer who isn't feeling like an eProfiteer and would, if I wired some money via PayPal or something, buy me a couple jars and ship them by whatever is the lowest-cost method?

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but eBay is looking too pricey right now. Or, I can seek a source in the U.S. which I doubt will arise.

Any kind eGulleteer who isn't feeling like an eProfiteer and would, if I wired some money via PayPal or something, buy me a couple jars and ship them by whatever is the lowest-cost method?

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but eBay is looking too pricey right now. Or, I can seek a source in the U.S. which I doubt will arise.

PM me, i'm sure we can get you your fix :)

Scored some shit for Chappie today, bought myself a jar, I've never been a Marmite fan, in fact I always thought it was pretty vile, but this Guinness stuff is really quite good! I can see loads of ways I can use it in cooking too.

Anyone tried marmite with peanut butter? My housemate quite fancies it, but much as I like the two componants *separately*, I haven't quite got up the nerve to sample the combination.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

• 3 weeks later...

Using my vast network of blackmarketeers (snicker), I just scored 5 jars of Guiness Marmite for my store. Let's see...one for me for that savory cheesecake I've been wanting to make...one for our best British customer...one for the marmite addict who's thinking about moving overseas...that leaves 2 for the lucky suckers who walk in the door the day after we get it!