• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eats @/Near LAX?

Sam Salmon

Next week I have a number of hours between flights @ LAX.

Looking for decent Mexican-have been told about Pachanga City Mexican, 962 Main St, El Segundo.

Do you know this place at all?

Seems close enough-are you aware of anything else close by that's suitable?

Decent Mexican is very rare here in Vancouver so a fix is long overdue. :rolleyes:

TIA

You have a pleathora of Mexican options.....Pachanga while ok, is pretty corporate....If you want authentic Mexican (not for Gringo's) head out to a little 4 table place in Hawthorne called Licha's...its in the 4200 blk of El Segundo Blvd....everything homemade...or if you want Tacos where I took Alton in feasting, go to Acosta Taco stand...its on Imperial hwy, just west of Hawthorne Blvd....just short of the runways at LAX....if you want Mariscos...check out a place at 107th and inglewood ave in Lennox...right under the flight path....wont be a gringo in sight...you can miss it...its the only restaurant in the area....Lobster, 7 seas soup...camarones....good stuff...

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

How many hours? Seriously -- that will be the big question...

I am flying to South America tomorrow evening and deliberately planned a four-and-a-half-hour lay over to go back to one of my favorite restaurants, Versailles, in Manhattan Beach, which is only about 6 miles away. (God, I have missed their Cuban roast pork with plantains and black beans & rice!).

Pachanga is good but keep in mind that the cab ride will probably cost you about $20 each way -- and the cab ride back will be harder to come by as taxis don't generally just peruse that area. Entirely possible and probably worth it, but what is your working window for travelling, eating, and having to get back to check in?

Pachanga is good but keep in mind that the cab ride will probably cost you about $20 each way -- and the cab ride back will be harder to come by as taxis don't generally just peruse that area. Entirely possible and probably worth it, but what is your working window for travelling, eating, and having to get back to check in?

Offer to buy the cabbie a meal-- then there'd be a ride back and maybe he'd waive the return fare!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I have a solid 2 hours where I don't have to worry about anything.

Meaning two hours after you arrive before you have to leave again or two hours PLUS the checking-back-in-time?

For example, I am arriving at 8:15 tomorrow evening via a Southwest flight from San Fran. My flight to Panama doesn't leave until 12:36 - little over four hours; but I know that I will have to be BACK at the airport by 10:30 for that stupid 2-hour international check-in BS leaving me two hours to get to Manahattan Beach and eat my pork, which is almost tight by LA traffic standards.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I've also eaten at Versailles on the way to the airport, but I went to the one north of the airport at 10319 Venice Bldv, Culver City. The Cuban garlic chicken is awesome, mostly because of the garlic mojo and all the rice, beans and plaintains on the side. Chicken itself a bit dry, but I'd love to have it again, or to try the pork if it has that amazing sauce. You can buy the sauce at the restaurant, has anyone tried it bottled?

http://www.versaillescuban.com/locations.html

I've also eaten at Versailles on the way to the airport, but I went to the one north of the airport at 10319 Venice Bldv, Culver City. The Cuban garlic chicken is awesome, mostly because of the garlic mojo and all the rice, beans and plaintains on the side. Chicken itself a bit dry, but I'd love to have it again, or to try the pork if it has that amazing sauce. You can buy the sauce at the restaurant, has anyone tried it bottled?

http://www.versaillescuban.com/locations.html

Do the pork - it is the same sauce and truly amazing. One of three very specific things I have missed about LA (Shin-Sen-Gumi is actually #1, Versaille #2, and Zankou Chicken is #3).

[Meaning two hours after you arrive before you have to leave again or two hours PLUS the checking-back-in-time?

2 hours plus all the other running around/standing in line/sitting around.

Been doing this for decades now but never spent any significant time @ LAX.

[Meaning two hours after you arrive before you have to leave again or two hours PLUS the checking-back-in-time?

2 hours plus all the other running around/standing in line/sitting around.

Been doing this for decades now but never spent any significant time @ LAX.

Okay! Just wanted to make sure as with some airports, 2 hours is more than enough time to get some good grub! Second the suggestion to buy your cab driver dinner -- and a great way to have some company! We do it in South America all the time and meet really interesting folks this way (then again, a four-hour taxi in Panama only costs about $15 or $20!)

• 2 weeks later...
You have a pleathora of Mexican options.....Pachanga while ok, is pretty corporate....If you want authentic Mexican (not for Gringo's) head out to a little 4 table place in Hawthorne called Licha's...its in the 4200 blk of El Segundo Blvd....everything homemade...or if you want Tacos where I took Alton in feasting, go to Acosta Taco stand...its on Imperial hwy, just west of Hawthorne Blvd....just short of the runways at LAX....if you want Mariscos...check out a place at 107th and inglewood ave in Lennox...right under the flight path....wont be a gringo in sight...you can miss it...its the only restaurant in the area....Lobster, 7 seas soup...camarones....good stuff...

Are all these places open for dinner? I am going to LA (El Segundo on business) in a little over a week and will only have dinner time free.

Also looking for recommendations for good solo dining spots from taco stand to upscale.

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.