• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Expert Advice

Brad K.

Advice needed on where to eat. I've been to NO countless number of times pre and post K and have eaten almost everywhere. I'd like comments on how some restaurants are doing currently for an upcoming trip with 8 good friends:

1. Fancy Meal: Restaurant August vs. Commander's. Haven't been to CP post-K - hear they were a little rusty at first, anyone been in the last few weeks? Also heard a few hit/miss comments about August recently (Besh stepping out a bit much?) - any truth??

2. Down N Dirty meal: Jacques vs. Cochon vs. K-Paul. Been to Jacques dozens of times and I know the drill. Only had lunch once at Cochon, liked it but heard so-so reports about dinner. Any comments? Haven't been to K-Paul in a decade but heard that Chef P was in the kitchen again and it was on the upswing. Any thoughts or comments?

3. Other meal: Herbsaint vs. Vizard's vs ??? (NOLA, Albertas, Petite G, etc.) Love Herbsaint but was there recently. Anyone been to Vizards? I like Kevin's cooking through the years at other spots. What about Albertas or anywhere else??

Thanks!

1. Fancy Meal: Restaurant August vs. Commander's.  Haven't been to CP post-K - hear they were a little rusty at first, anyone been in the last few weeks? Also heard a few hit/miss comments about August recently (Besh stepping out a bit much?) - any truth??

I haven't been to CP for an actual meal since the storm. The renovated room is beautiful. Frankly, I found it a little hit and miss before, although that's probably true of any place that big. It's certainly a worthwhile experience. Second hand, I've heard that things are going well there at the moment.

2. Down N Dirty meal: Jacques vs. Cochon vs. K-Paul.  Been to Jacques dozens of times and I know the drill.  Only had lunch once at Cochon, liked it but heard so-so reports about dinner.  Any comments?  Haven't been to K-Paul in a decade but heard that Chef P was in the kitchen again and it was on the upswing.  Any thoughts or comments?

Unless things have changed (or my memories are foggy), the lunch and dinner menus are identical at Cochon. I like the place, but don't love it. Lots of people love it, and I can understand why.

Pretty sure Paul Prudhomme is not in the kitchen, because he doesn't look physically fit enough to work the line. I've never seen him when he didn't use a scooter to get around. He is around the restaurant most days. In fact, he's often outside greeting people on the streets.

3. Other meal: Herbsaint vs. Vizard's vs ??? (NOLA, Albertas, Petite G, etc.) Love Herbsaint but was there recently.  Anyone been to Vizards? I like Kevin's cooking through the years at other spots.  What about Albertas or anywhere else??

I think Vizard's is a real sleeper. Excellent, but doesn't get as much press.

I wonder if anyone has a recent report on Petite Grocery? A few months ago, I was served the sloppiest thing I've ever seen at a fine dining restaurant. The plating looked like a 3rd grader's art project.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Well, if it's just head to head, I would go August over Commander's every time. I love Commander's, especially for lunch during the week, and believe that the food that I have had there is every bit as good, probably better, than it was before the levees failed and flooded the city. Still, August is a much better restaurant.

As far as Cochon vs Jacques Imo's vs. K-Paul's, you are talking about three VERY different kinds of places.

Cochon is Donald Link's baby. It's what he wants it to be. It is a highly idiosycratic restaurant that serves what he wants to serve the way that he wants it to be served. That being said, I love the place. I have been going there at least once a week since it reopened (going with a group on Sat night, as a matter of fact) and have greatly enjoyed taking people with me. It's about the meat. It's a meat restaurant. Stephen Stryjewski has turned himself into a user of pieces parts like very few others. His meats are just wonderful, in my opinion, and they are used by link to create some really fun dishes that are just plain good to eat. They have a great bar with a really nice bourbon selection (along with "domestic" raw whiskey (aka moonshine) and the bartenders make a really decent cocktail.

Jacques Imo's is over the top. The place is loud, small, oddly laid out (though that's because of the space and not so much because of choice). The food, especially on a night when the aren't swamped can be very, very good. On the other hand, I've been there on nights when the place was just rocking and the food was just ok and some things just weren't very good. Clearly a small kitchen overstretched contributes to this. It's unapologetically wild. In fact, one of the most popular tables is in the back of a truck that sits in front of the place. It's what it is, but I like it. I can, though, see how some people with "more delicate sensibilities" might not find it that appealing at all.

K-Paul's is, well, in my opinion, probably the most important restaurant in modern times in New Orleans and Paul Prudhomme is absolutely the most influential chef to ever come out of New Orleans. So much of what has become "the new New Orleans cooking" came from him, beginning with his stay at Commander's Palace and culminating with his place on Chartres in New Orleans, that it's almost impossible not to see his touch in everyone's restaurants and dishes that have come after him. K-Paul's is a great restaurant. The food there is great-not good. Paul Prudhomme is there most of the time these days, and, as is mentioned above, out in front most nights. It's rediculous, to me, this whole discussion about "chefs in the kitchen." He's there-he's not putting up with any substandard stuff. I had dinner with Alice Waters one night (at Cochon, actually) and she told me that Paul Prudhomme had more influence on her, over the years, than any other American chef. He, she said, as much as anyone, was the first person to really spend time sourcing local ingredients and using them seasonally and as freshly as possible. She loves the guy. You will too. I've known him for years on a professional level and have more respect for him and the way that he conducts not only his business, but his life, than any other chef or operator that I know. And that's saying something-I know alot of folks. Paul is, really, the man. Go there. You won't be disappointed.

I agree with Todd about Vizard's. For one thing, I've eaten there alot as it's conveniently located right around the corner from my house and also because it's got really good food. The service can be, well, not so great as the front of house is seemingly a bit disorganized, but, really, it's not that big of a deal and sometimes it's fine. Kevin Vizard is a fine chef and makes use of the the best products that he can find locally to turn out some really good meals. One thing that I like about the place is that you can spend some time there and no one hurries you up. They don't mind a group sitting with drinks and coffee and just chatting it up. This is not the case alot of places these days and I like the fact that you can do it at Vizard's. Anyway, I reccomend it highly.

Herbsaint is good. Maybe, on some nights, better than August (but I still prefer August over the two). I really like the room, the food is delicious, and the service is pretty close to impeccable.

Petite Grocery is harder for me to talk about, as I've only been there once since the storm. The night that I was there, however, I had a very enjoyable meal.

Also, though it's big bucks (but not any more expensive than K-Paul's, really) don't write off Emeril's. It's a stupendously good restaurant, in my opinion. And, in keeping with the "chef in the house thing", when he's in town, he's there. Working-the crowd, the line, the pass window, whatever-but he is working. You will enjoy it and you will probably get as good or better service than you have ever experienced. Also, I love the rooms there. It's a true first class operation from top to bottom.

Hope this helps.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Really, the more I think about it, no one should miss a meal at K-Paul's, especially if you've never been there before. On the one hand, it's truly an important part of U.S. culinary history. On the other hand, it's just incredibly delicious. You won't walk away disappointed (nor will you leave hungry).

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)