• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mole (brown sauce) Recipes

RonC

I know - I know - most just buy it in bottles --- but I wanted to make my own. I recently tried Florence Tyler's recipe and, although even my local Mexican market didn't have the called-for Anaheim and Chipotle dried chlies and I had to use what they had, it turned out pretty tasty. BUT, I think I can do better! Anyone want to share their favorite?

Many thanks,

Sidecar Ron

I made this one a while back. This is the paste and then you mix it with tomatoes, onions and garlic which has been pureed

Ingredients

10 dried ancho chiles

6 dried pasilla negro (or negro) chiles

4 dried guajillo or mulato chiles

6 T black raisins

1/2 cup almonds

6 T raw sesame seeds

1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds

1 slice French bread

1 corn tortilla

One 3-inch piece of Mexican Canela (soft-bark cinnamon)

OR 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon

6 whole cloves

1 t black peppercorns

1 1/2 t dried oregano

1 round of Ibarra Mexican Chocolate (3.1 oz.)

Taken from

The Mole page

I would decrease of eliminate the cloves. Just a taste I'm not use to in mole'

Most of these chilies are easy to find in a Mexican market. I can actually find all of these at most of my local big box grocery stores.

Check out the mole cookoff thread: click

The first post also has posts to previous mole threads...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I know - I know - most just buy it in bottles --- but I wanted to make my own. I recently tried Florence Tyler's recipe and, although even my local Mexican market didn't have the called-for Anaheim and Chipotle dried chlies and I had to use what they had, it turned out pretty tasty. BUT, I think I can do better! Anyone want to share their favorite?

Many thanks,

Sidecar Ron

Hey RonC I'd try ScubaDoo's recipe. It sounds perfect. Right blend of chiles - you always want two or three kinds of black ones in there like pasilla or chile negro, ancho or mulatto, then maybe a red just like he has, a gualillo. You can sub new mexico for guajillo, but guajillo is the var from which New Mexico chiles originated and are more "basic".

(a good sauce is guajillo paste mixed with fresh grapefruit juice). Ibarra is good, but it already has almonds , sugar and cinnamon in it. You can use plain unsweetened and increase the aforementioned ingredients as needed. (try Ibarra chocolate - 1.25 giant tabs, in a blender with 24 oz. evap milk and 24 oz. lowfat milk. You don't need whipped cream). One last thing - strain and chinois the heck out of the end result. You don't want any microscopic bits of dried chile skin in the teeth of your guests!

Here's another idea - you can order fairly small amounts of the dried chiles unavailable in your area. Any unused will last a long time. The freezer prevents moth propagation.

John

Thanks folks for the recipes and the site references. BTW, am I the only one who has so little success when attempting a search here? The few times I've tried (the latest obviously being for "mole," I don't seem to uncover much of relevance.

Thanks, again.

Sidecar Ron