• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caper in Olive Oil

I discovered capers in olive oil (sold in small jars) a few years back, at Dean & De Luca in NYC. I've since replenished my supply in Italy and in Seattle. I'm starting to run low, and can't find them anywhere in Toronto or Montreal. It is possible that they are not mass-produced/marketed, as they were difficult to find even in Italy, where they're bottled.

Has anyone seen them? I've tried Atwater and Jean-Talon markets, as well as a few specialty stores, to no avail.

If you haven't tried these, they're great - much more flavourful and less acidic than the usual jarred capers, and with a crunchy, yet juicy, texture.

Thanks for the offer, Dave. However, I do have a sister living in the States who could probably get them to me. Although I know that Pennsylvania is a large state, where have you seen these? My sister lives in Pennsylvania, as well. You might be able to guide us to a source there.

I would prefer to have a local source, though.

Milano in Little Italy has.

They don't, unfortunately. I just gave Milano a call, and they carry capers packed in brine or salt only.

What about the Spanish shop on St. Laurent just down from Vieille Europe?

I'm not sure that they have them, but I wouldn't be surprised. They have lots of canned and jarred olives and capers in various forms.

They don't, unfortunately. I just gave Milano a call, and they carry capers packed in brine or salt only.

I'm not sure that they have them, but I wouldn't be surprised. They have lots of canned and jarred olives and capers in various forms.

Any idea of the name of the shop? I'm in Toronto.

Any idea of the name of the shop? I'm in Toronto.

Maybe the House of Spice or The Olive Pit?