• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Capers in Olive Oil

FlavoursGal

I discovered capers in olive oil (sold in small jars) a few years back, at Dean & De Luca in NYC. I've since replenished my supply in Italy and in Seattle. I'm starting to run low, and can't find them anywhere in Toronto. It is possible that they are not mass-produced/marketed, as they were difficult to find even in Italy, where they're bottled.

Has anyone seen them? I've tried all the usual suspects - St. Lawrence Market, Pusateri's, Harvest Wagon, Italian grocers in Toronto and Woodbridge,... - to no avail.

If you haven't tried these, they're great - much more flavourful and less acidic than the usual jarred capers, and with a crunchy, yet juicy, texture.

I know you said you checked the St. Lawrence Market but I was there a few days ago and recall seeing a variety of capers in that store on the lower level (sorry I'm blanking on the name), the one that carries a range of products from italian, indian, and asian cuisines.

At any rate, f you find some, let us know, they sound good!

**Melanie**

I know you said you checked the St. Lawrence Market but I was there a few days ago and recall seeing a variety of capers in that store on the lower level (sorry I'm blanking on the name), the one that carries a range of products from italian, indian, and asian cuisines.

At any rate, f you find some, let us know, they sound good!

I just did a little google search, and found them at amazon.com. No luck at amazon.ca, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Capers-Extra-Virgin-...l/dp/B000BBCMHC

I've wondered about growing a yearly supply of capers. It sounds far fetched but should be quite simple, as they are budding Nasturtium blooms, and Nasturtia are simple to grow, even on a balcony. The only question is which variety, but large seed houses such as Dominion or Stokes will have a lot of choices and guidance.

I think I just may try it this spring.

Yes, there is some information about a salt cure in the Amazon ad., but that would not be too difficult. The ad mentions a caper bush, whereas I have heard that a nasturtium bud is used, and when I tasted the fresh buds last year, they were peppery and caper-like. I'll have to look into this.