• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake help

phlawless

Hello experts:

I need some help achieving a certain texture to a walnut cake recipe I am developing.

I would essentially like the cake to end up having the consistency of a sticky toffee pudding (I plan on using a syrup after it comes out of the oven) but instead of using the traditional dates, I want to use black walnuts. So essentially, a texture that is moist but not too dense since I will be adding the syrup afterwards, and also something not too sweet for the same reason.

What I have in the oven now:

4 ou butter

2/3 cup brown sugar

pinch o salt

3 eggs

1 t vanilla

3/4 t baking soda

2 cups toasted finely chopped nuts

1 1/2 cups ap flour

1/2 cup full fat buttermilk

I think I have the sweetness level pretty good: it needs more which it will get from the syrup.

Any suggestions?

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

it just came out a few minutes ago and here is what I think I need to do to make it perfect:

cut back the flour

it's a little too 'cakey'...maybe go as low as 3/4?

cut back the baking soda

it domed, would this help?

I put my syrup on and it's soaking in fine, I'll be able to taste in a bit

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."