• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Restaurant In Paris?

David Lebovitz

I think Le Repaire de Cartouche is a good choice...especially since I think technically we're still in game season (I'm not sure when it ends...late January? so, I guess we're at the very end of it!) But, they do a lot of game, so if there's still anything interesting to be had game-wise, I imagine they'd do it well.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I walk by Repaire de Cartouche all the time and have never been (well, I went to the 'bistro' upstairs for the 13 euro lunch, which they basically treat like an afterthought) so we're going to go there.

David, I am very interested in your post. We visited RdC frequently some years ago, but haven't been back recently. I remember it's having two dining rooms, one with an entrance on Amelot and the other on Filles de Calvaire, but in our time they were always the same restaurant. Are you telling us that these two rooms now provide different levels of cuisine? If so, this is an important differentiation.

eGullet member #80.

I walk by Repaire de Cartouche all the time and have never been (well, I went to the 'bistro' upstairs for the 13 euro lunch, which they basically treat like an afterthought) so we're going to go there.

David, I am very interested in your post. We visited RdC frequently some years ago, but haven't been back recently. I remember it's having two dining rooms, one with an entrance on Amelot and the other on Filles de Calvaire, but in our time they were always the same restaurant. Are you telling us that these two rooms now provide different levels of cuisine? If so, this is an important differentiation.

At lunchtime, upstairs on the Blvd Beaumarchais side, they have a shorter fixed-price menu, that I believe is 14 euros. The downstairs is the regular restaurant at lunch.

Well, wouldn't ya know, today's NYT Magazine has an article by Christine Muhlke on l'Ami Jean saying one should go there before the other places on your list, eg Le Comptoir + Sensing and describing it as among the "adventurous" places like Chez Michel, l'Os a Moelle, l'Ourcine + l'Acajou the last recommendation I could not disagree with more. Q. And, and, guess who wrote the recipe for confiture de lait that goes with the accompanying recipe for riz au lait? A. The starter of this thread. As everyone knows, in order to read the article and recipe, it's here if you are a Times Select member.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris